Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #1

Couple Newbie Questions

Thank you for whoever takes the trouble to reply.
1. If I keep a travel trailer in heated storage in Indianapolis but head out west after the holidays, how can I keep everything from freezing enroute?
2. How do you prevent theft? What stops someone from simply hooking up and running off with your trailer while you're gone for errands?
tamooreindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
clr

Number 1 question answer: First turn the heat on within the TT while you are on the road. Yes your propane must be on for this to work. Just be carefully in gas stations if you have a gas TV. Second winterize your unit and not worry about it until you get further south.
Number 2 question answer: Buy a lock for your TT and lock the hitch when you leave. There are several types of locks so just shop around a little. Of course no lock is going to deter a determined thief with much time.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1) Winterize the trailer, or at the very least, blow out the lines. Can't guarantee it still won't freeze with just a blow out, but it'll minimize the likelihood.

2) Use a lock. I always locked the coupler on my TT, and I've got a lock on my fifth wheel's kingpin as well. It's not foolproof, if somebody really wants it there's ways to grab it, but again, it's all about minimizing the likelihood.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamooreindy View Post
Thank you for whoever takes the trouble to reply.
1. If I keep a travel trailer in heated storage in Indianapolis but head out west after the holidays, how can I keep everything from freezing enroute?
2. How do you prevent theft? What stops someone from simply hooking up and running off with your trailer while you're gone for errands?
Hi, and welcome!
How do you define "everything"? The easiest, though not most efficient way would be to simply set the thermostat at minimum inside the camper. That would be 65 degrees or something like that. Though not a sauna by any means, it will keep "everything" from freezing inside the camper. If you are worried about your fresh water tank, along with the line coming from it, there really isn't a lot you can do. The movement of the camper going down the road will pretty much prevent the water in the tank from freezing, but anything that is not inside a heated compartment is certainly subject to freezing. The best way to prevent this kind of problem is to empty the water tank and blow the lines clear, then add water when you get to your destination.
To prevent the theft of your camper, simply surround it with so much junk that it would take a would-be thief hours to clear a path to get to the coupler. He/she will simply move on to an easier target, like that OCD guy down the road with the spotless campsite.
You might also consider cutting a sacrificial ball from it's mounting stud and lock it up inside the coupler.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #5

Don't travel with Water be it New or Used Water if it is below Freezing,Keep Winterized until your in a Safe location! A lock on the Ball lever is Deterrent only, Nothing will Stop a Thief! Youroo! !
Old 10-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #6

1. Look for and purchase a unit that has Heated Tanks. While I don't necessarily need them down here in Florida, I do like the fact that my holding tanks are heated just in case. It's a DC heater, so it will work while towing without draining the battery.
2. I won't even leave my TT in side driveway of my house with locking the pin and using a ball lock. Locks of folks are negative on the ball locks, but they're much easier to see from a distance and will discourage at least the lazier thieves. The latch lock tends to be enough to keep the rest away. End of the day, if someone wants to take it, they can take it, but that's what the insurance company is for.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags