Old 11-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
So when Toyota discovered accelerator problem and car is out of warrantee did they blame and suggest to owners to fight with component manufacturer?
NOT
Only the RV industry gets away with this
Deniability is the name of the game.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #22

I filed a safety complaint on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration web site. It took me a while to find the correct place to file the complaint. As I found out the NTSB is only an accident investigation agency. Their was a FAQ on their site that referred me to the NHTSA web site. We will see if anything comes from this complaint, I sure hope so.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #23

Frame Cracks

I have the same problem on my 2006 Forest River Wildcat 31QBH, I contacted both Forest River and Lippert, Eventually Lippert had a Service Tech come out and he did make a repair of the front Cross Memeber, (replaced it with a 7 Gauge 2x5, original was an 11 Gauge) but he falied to repair or replace the rear cross member. He originally wanted me to pay for the work up from but on the second visit he did it free of charge. Although I still had to pay the dealer to R/R the front nose cap. I still have a request to Lippert/Forest River to complete the repair and reimburse me for all my expenses, including an RV rental. In addition I have logged a complaint with Transport Canada and it has bee escalated to a level 3 investigation (serious). I have also contacted NHTSA in the US but since I am Canadian they will not accept my complaint, The complaint line did a search and could not find any other complaints. In addition a new consumer That has contacted me has also made a formal complaint to Transport Canada. I reccommend any effected consumers in the US follow up and make a formal complaint to the NHTSA ASAP.

Dale
Old 09-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

makes you wonder how many of these are running around "cracked" and not broken .
you blamed forest river , forest river blamed lippert I am surprised lippert didnt blame the us hiway admistration I suppose they would blame the road workers and they in turn the concrete company and they would blame the aggregate company. hmmmm viscious circle !
Old 10-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #25

29.5 2006 cherokee wolfpack TH flexing at the pin box

New to Forest River Forum and looking for info on possible frame problems. Earlier this year I noticed that the aluminum siding at the front of the trailer had separated at one of the interlocking seams. Judging by the leaf debris inside it had likely been open since our return from the Baja in the spring. (first trip for this trailer bought used in 2010). I was able to push it back together and carried on with our weekend jaunt only to see that it had again popped out. Thinking that the interlocking lip let go with the wind pressure I relocated it and screw and sealed it in place. the buckling aluminum panel seemed consistant with possible frame twisting upward.
As I was getting ready for another trip this weekend, I watched closely as I lowered the trailer onto the truck. As the load was applied the pannelling around the pinbox appearred to sag inward and subtle creaks could be heard. I looked casually at the pin box welds and all seemed to be fine. I going to reexamine the pin box and surrounding area in better light and try to determine what is causing the inward sagging action of the underside panelling.
As well, he pin box seems to be on a bit of angle when disconected from the trailer. Has anyone experience similar problems? where should I look for twisting. Ideas anyone?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #26

You will have to remove the underside panel to inspect the front cross member (Pain in the Butt) if you are unlucky you may see cracks in the rear cross member where the Hitch box is welded to it. Also inspect the interior front bed room. I noticed the paneling of the closet had buckled out ward. (the door frame of the closet was intact) this was caused by the Front cross member forcing the plywood subfloor upward.
Just to let you know Lipper Components is sending a technician again to repair my unit and covering all the costs for R/R of the exterior skin and nose cap. They are also reimbursing me for all my cost so far. You will need to contact both Forest River to start, They will pass it off to Lippert Components. I would also suggest all you american owners with this same issue contact the NHTSA and demand an investigation. as a Canadian, I have started one from my end with Transport Canada
Old 10-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #27
Site Team - Lou

The pin box welds to the cross spar are on my annual inspection checklist now. My friend's Montana cracked the welds so this is an issue for everyone. These photos were not his Montana but they could have been, I use them so I know what to look for when inspecting mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0001.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	8487   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0005.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	8488   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0003.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	8489   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0004.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	8490  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #28

Lou, Your images look very similar to mine, From discussions I have had with My Enginering clients, this is result by metal fatigue. The primary issue is undersized structural steel used in the crossmember. The other 3 owners in my city ( with similar Issues) that I have talked too all use there RV's and tend to put on average 2000-4000 km per year. This is not an issue of overloaded RV's. and not if but when will it happen. When I tried to also complain to the NHTSA. the person I talked to said they have not had any complaints or investigations on this matter. Start complaining and get your voices heard, or the RV industry will just get this swept under the bed.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #29
Site Team - Lou

I have noticed that the join between the pinbox and the frame DOES move around a lot. Like the "paperclip example" with a lot of use this will be a problem eventually.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #30

Thanks for all the quick responses. After further inspection I did find a crack a the top of the rear cross member. I took it over to my guy and his next steps are to pull the bottom off and have a look. The situation appearred to have worsened after the 50 k drive to the shop. maybe becauseI had no balancing load in the rear. They had just finished a similar repair and said it was a big job. I will try to contact Forest River and Lippert and transport canada. I am at a crossroad, While it maybe cheaper to fix it, the question is will it last. Has anyone had a specific engineering opinion on what would be a quality fix. The one comment on metal fatigue seems consistent with my situation since I have been very careful not to overlaod the pin and balance the load front and rear. Also we travel about 15,000 miles a year. That's alot of bouncing even with air bags. Again Thanks

Tags
5th wheel, wildcat