Old 03-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Warrior, if it is any comfort at all, I had a good look at mine and it appears that our Flagstaffs may have a little better frame. Mine, which should be the same as yours, looks like a rectangular tube, which would be a lot stronger.
But I am going to keep an eye on ours anyway. I am going to put a straightedge under the front cap of the camper, from corner to corner, then measure the gap between the straightedge and the front cap, right in the middle of the cap.
But I think the main thing to watch is that front crossmember, as I am pretty sure that is where it all starts.
It is some what reassuring to hear that the Flagstaff units are constructed a little stronger and are not as prone to failure as others. Do you know if there are any reported Flagstaff failures?
I'm not able to get a good look at mine, as there is only 1" to 1 1/2" on either side of the pin box. The welds and metal in the areas I can see look OK.
The straight edge is a good idea. I'm going to utilize that method and measure mine today so I'll have a reference.
I would still feel a lot more comfortable if I had access openings to view the areas I can't see.

2011 Flagstaff 8528RLWS 5th Wheel
Reese Sidewinder Hitch 2002 Road Star Warrior
SouthWest Florida FROG
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #52

I do hope they are built better, although there are no guarantees.
I have not heard of any failures on the Flagstaff/Rockwood line.
I do agree that there isn't a lot of room to inspect the pinbox area, and I like your idea of adding inspection ports.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #53

What they did to our unit, they rewelded the frame, added tubes, gussets and straps, have heard from one Silverback owner that they did that to his and it didn't last, I am praying that is not the case, if we have any more issues with it we will seek legal action. There is a lot of hiding the truth from consumers in the RV industry, no regulations at all unlike the auto industry. Also when we seen the work done to our unit there is really a lack of pride in workmanship. They don't consider the consumer at all, it is making a product as cheap as they can and the bottom line. When we got ours back there were nails that protuded by the door, carpet was a different color and texture, and it was so dirty, sawdust everywhere, old caulking tubes and two full caulking tubes were just thrown on the floor of the camper, They did replace the lippert sealed bearings that have also been a problem, and new tires. All and all if we have no more issues I am pleased that Forest River Cedar Creek did take care of us, at first they denied our claim, it was only after extensive reseach and telling them we would take other action if they didn't take care of it did we get them to do what was right. And Kevin CaudillForest River Cedar Creek, was good at keeping us imformed and wanted to help us!!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #54

Was out to my 5th wheel this last week (in storage) and going thru the brochures, it has a Dexter frame. Took a quick look with a flashlight and welds and paint job look o. k. Will measure the I-beams once as they look kind of wimpy, although its a 8524rls which is a ultralite or something like that. Info says no bike rack. Made a hitch to bolt onto the frame, but may never use it as the problems other people are mentioning. Wayne
Old 03-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #55

With a Dexter frame you probably won't have the issues, however I heard Lippert bought out Dexter, it sure is a pain to put so much money into something that is such a mess. We were told by Forest River that Lippert used cheap Chinese steel?? Ok if that is the case why don't Forest River make sure the steel put on thier rigs is strong?? A poor excuse!
Old 03-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #56
Hob

Warrior,
Before you make any assumptions about frames and problems, go to the top of the page, mark the FRF circle and type in "flagstaff frame problems." There are enough discussions there to keep you busy for the rest of the day. Read some of the problems, the consesus appears to be that if you have a Lippert frame it is a piece of junk. Ask and see what company built the frame under the trailer you are looking. However, there is one small caveat, Lippert has just bought out the only other travel trailer frame maker. That maker was Dexter. Does that mean Lippert will turn Dexter frames into junk or are they trying to hide their inept handling of frame building? Who knows? I just know after carefully inspecting my frame, Lippert puts junk on the road.

Best Regards,
Old 03-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #57

I have a 2007 Silverback by Cedar Creek 31LBHBS 5th wheel. Now mabey a stupid question by how do I know if I have a Lippert frame? Where would it say? Or do all Silverbacks have them?
Old 03-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #58

[QUOTE=Hob;170622]Warrior,
Before you make any assumptions about frames and problems, go to the top of the page, mark the FRF circle and type in "flagstaff frame problems." There are enough discussions there to keep you busy for the rest of the day. Read some of the problems, the consesus appears to be that if you have a Lippert frame it is a piece of junk. Ask and see what company built the frame under the trailer you are looking. However, there is one small caveat, Lippert has just bought out the only other travel trailer frame maker. That maker was Dexter. Does that mean Lippert will turn Dexter frames into junk or are they trying to hide their inept handling of frame building? Who knows? I just know after carefully inspecting my frame, Lippert puts junk on the road.

Best Regards,[/QUOTE

Hob, I'm not making any assumptions about Flagstaff frames, other than I have a Flagstaff and it has a Lippert frame. I had previously read most of the post submitted in the thread "Flagstaff frame problems" and these, your opinion and many other post I've read are what give me concern about my frame. This concern is what prompted me to want to find a way to do a through inspection of my frame.
Unless I've missed it I have not read about any frame failures on Flagstaff 5th/wheels....yet.

Thank you

2011 Flagstaff 8528RLWS 5th Wheel
Reese Sidewinder Hitch 2002 Road Star Warrior
SouthWest Florida FROG
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wildcat