Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #1

Dealer mark up

How much mark up does a dealer really make. I have been offered a new 2010 SV 294 for $22,000. I know depends on options. However, if they are selling it for 22k what do you think they are paying for it?

-- Tim

Old 01-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I found this on Rvbasics,com, and it's probably pretty accurate:

Bargain for the best price. Forget the sticker price, RV's are often marked up as much as 40%.

Also watch for hidden stuff before you close the deal, outrageous paperwork fees, high hitch price, dealer prep fees, extended warranty. Make sure you know before you sign. To eliminate paperwork fees, I usually make them give me the Title app and I go to the DMV and pay the sales taxes and app fee myself. I have seen dealers charge as much as $200 for this. This will also mean that the taxes won't be in your loan, so have a lot of money to pay them. Good Luck.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_W View Post
How much mark up does a dealer really make. I have been offered a new 2010 SV 294 for $22,000. I know depends on options. However, if they are selling it for 22k what do you think they are paying for it?

-- Tim
Go to RVDirect.com and price out your rig right there with all the options you want. The site will give you your price online. This is pretty darn close to the lowest price you should be able to get give or take. As said above the markup can be as much as 40% so don't just assume they are giving you a great deal by knocking 15% off the list price.

We bought our rig through RVDirect as we couldn't find a better price. Others just use the quotes to negotiate a better price with their dealers (don't tell them where you got the price) just walk out if they aren't willing to do better, I guarantee they will be calling you back within the day if not within the week to try and negotiate with you.

You should also be darned sure you KNOW what items are standard on your rig as many dealers will try and charge you extra for standard items saying that they added them at the lot. Our local dealer tried to tell us that they added the slide topper awnings when in fact they are standard for our rig.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Go to RVDirect.com and price out your rig right there with all the options you want. The site will give you your price online. This is pretty darn close to the lowest price you should be able to get give or take. As said above the markup can be as much as 40% so don't just assume they are giving you a great deal by knocking 15% off the list price.

We bought our rig through RVDirect as we couldn't find a better price. Others just use the quotes to negotiate a better price with their dealers (don't tell them where you got the price) just walk out if they aren't willing to do better, I guarantee they will be calling you back within the day if not within the week to try and negotiate with you.

You should also be darned sure you KNOW what items are standard on your rig as many dealers will try and charge you extra for standard items saying that they added them at the lot. Our local dealer tried to tell us that they added the slide topper awnings when in fact they are standard for our rig.

I dont see the Forest River Surveyor line in the drop down bars in your link to RVDirect ?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #5

Sorry Tim, must be they don't deal in it. I thought they dealt with all the FR lines. Is there one of the other models that is close to it on their list? Perhaps the Rockwood ultralight in a equivalent size that you could use to compare?
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #6

?????

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Online Users: 1,167
451 members and 716 guests
1nshort, 2HappyCampers, 360Lover, 360true, 45 ACP, 49 34, 5Hawkeyes, 62_inrightlane, 99mustangcobra, abjb, Aca651, acadianbob, aiobst, AirForceAngler, airv, Albert1950, allncham, ALMansoori, alparmmer, ammdrew, angler3, anvil10a, AquaMan, Arefbee, Arnieb, aujmr1970, ausjc, Aussiecat, Aussim, autorot8, Av8orLou, awellis3, B and B, Babygiz, Baddison, bagged123, bclantz, beipers, benitslu, bigolbeergut, BiigDaddy, Bill n Diana, billmel, Black, BlakeB, Blaque, bleedmaroon, blugrasbaseman, bobuk1, Bpenn, BradJacksonRVW, brawe549, bsdmom, buddyu, budone, Cajun Po-Boy, campania, camper1999, campfun, capitan, Captain Skippy, carpetman, CatalinaWineMixer, cdramos, chance7770, checca, chesterhull, ChooChooMan74, chriscowles, chrisgrissom1971, ChrisMSNT, clancythecamper, clange, cmalberto, cmontet, CoachBen, Colleen Engquist, comfun1, Coops1, cootr68, coryhynes, coupevillefish, Cover Dog, cpaulsen, Craig Abraham, crickenwood, cub22908, cwblaylock, cyclepuck, DAISY BOYKIN, dalford, dan-nickie, danimal86, dannyd, dantheman, DaveandSue, david brune, david-o, DavidS, davisa17, dbctmc, dcheatwood, ddemme, Ddubya, DEBailey, defarmerjr, Dennis and Julie, dennisgt60, Derekjpapa, dianizon, dieselbobcat, Dijoeboss, Displaced2, dmoyanaise, doc73, Doctarie, Don0426, Dondjr79, DonL, donner, doosterhouse, Doug T, Doug_C, dpkelly3, DrJMB, Droptine58, dryfly, dsgnrdavid47421, dspencer, dts3204, D_B Travelers, EastlakeRoo, eddiemw, ellisscottl, Engauge, enviro, epicloopers, eriecamper, etothepii, Evereddie, extremebike, EXTremist, eyc, f1100turbo, Family of 4, FandRChambers, farmbone, farmer1566, fastrack1, ffolts, Fifth Wheel Joy, Filthy Beast, fincher, Fivealive, fixit440, flaggstaff, Flower, fmeyer777, fonzie, ford7368, FrancoNico, Gaffer222, GalsofEscape, garusc, GaryanJane, gauchoverde, gb73071, GearHd6, GeneFail, George B, George Felt, germainesaint, ggrady, GJones, gljurczyk, gmacklem, gmann55, golfmedik, goodneelix, graftonmj, Grandpa11, grayfox, Greenshield, Grif76040, grotto69, grubbster, gscarter100, guy, haggis hunter, Handywoman, Happy Vibe, harpman, harry perez, Harryhd1, hazbunch, heavyduty, heavynlori, herb 2 88, Herk7769, heyingaj, hollowayr, Hoosierdiver, iamchrisshine, ibjon, iceblaze580, imavol, ironj, itat, J and W, j02kennedy, jackl806, janstoy, jerryhowell, Jersey Guy, jgahlhoff, Jim Kashery, Jimandchris, Jimb462, Jimmygee, Jjsav, jlroadmaster, jmolstad67, joelabq, john1345, johnbyers, jolsem725, jomarie, jonandjolene, jonespkp, jpound, jrlebaron, jrlogan10, jsnow, jstclair, jtatum65, JTHale13, JTN8, just.a.jeep, jwedell, JWHybrid2B, k3wtf, katkt, kc8lvy, KDHfan, keefe237, Keithe, kennythornton74, Kenz, kho6658, Kris10May, KristenDavid208, kssportsman, Kuba, KyDan, kyle2003, K_and_I, Larry Szklaruk, LaydBack, lbrunsch, leencharlotte, lefaivre, lenasmith, limblips, LittlePM, LJ_Sha, Lloydg, LtsGo4ARide, LZ Dave, mackman1994, madhattr, maggielizzie, MagnoliaTom, markangie24, mc9diver, mcalvert, mccauj, mcnabbwr, MGordyan, micalo, Mickeystamper, mike1329, Mikegjax, MinneweeseMI, mjank240, mjw1048, Mkayers, mkoelzer, mks, mlangdn, mmjmeade, mmunn, Mnflyboy, MotocrossCamper, motodude79, Mr. Dan, MREZ, mstlvhorses, my_crib_too, N9ID, Nats, NavyChief, nevadaray, Nevaland, ngilsenan, NMCamper, ns-kcm, nwslmn, NYDP77, Obrieri, ogmonte, Old Bones, old rv man, OldCoot, Onepasj, pacin, Papicamper, Parlock, partonjl, Pathfinder75, Paul Evenson, pdeter, phelpo, PHS79, Pinesman, Pirates55, pjmezger, pjones1969, pkthomas, Platokidd, Poper, Poppy Bill, Pops Props, POS Camaro, pvillebly, qalaen, quackor, Quasipato, quick83, R Whitlow, RabidRoo, racecar67, radana4126, Ram2500, Randy1970, rbq, realebill, ret2006, rhollar, RhoZeta, rich.hine, rich1902, Rick R, RKR, Road-King, RoamingBadger, robcsatx, RobertR, Robins nest, rockmike, rockport, Rolling buckeye, roughneck, roxberrym, RPAspey, Rrickim63, rsibarra2010, RV maniac, RVSolutionist, ryand, sandi09, sandpiper, savdog, sbailey729, sblaquiere, Sbryant, schwyl, Scooter81, Scott1, Scouter, sddapeck624, ses, sfrye5853, shadow7663, shatste, shorthorn, sidmihal, SimchaSabre, Slympicins, snapper, Sno4Life, Soxfan1957, spiderball, Sportracker, spredybob, Stasiak, steeljag, stephenstub, stevenG, stevengb, stick327, striper1, stryke-force, sunny75, swiggy65, szn8tt, tdacvtrl, Tech Admin, tex729, Texasblue, textman, The Crow 1994, The Real Snowman, TheFordes, themounties, TheWaterboy, thumper, timmauw, tmuni, tnlvsn, Toad Haul, tomjsas, tony5oh, tracer 255, Trailblazer, troyray1269, trudinator, trwmodela, Tsb19, TTNewbees, tvanhi, USNMM1VETERAN, vocoder, wbdvt, WEMig, WERHOM, wesslvm, whallon1, whatachump, whitca, WillFish, Wiscampsin, wjpelka, wmtire, WoodyMccloud, WrongWayRandall, Wswkmw, wtrider, yvesm, Zossamer, Zwicker, _nelsonc
Most users ever online was 3,472, 03-05-2014 at 02:14 AM.

ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.