Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #1

Dealer who doesn't want a sale?

I've been thinking of trading my trailer in that I bought used a few years ago. It has a little soft spot in the floor from a leak on the toilet that was undetected. Other then that, it's in awesome shape. I am planning on just cutting out that section and making the repair and laying a new floor down in the spring.

However, the wife thought maybe we could trade it in on something with maybe a little more space or something that would suit the family a little more, we have a rear living setup now but, thinking of a bunkhouse.

With that being said, I was talking to a dealer in DE that has been mentioned on here before. They gave me an offer on my trade knowing the issue with the floor and I sent them about 15 pictures as well in detail. The camper I was interested ended up selling before I could take the drive to take a look so therefore, I just kept an eye on their site and saw something else pop up.

I emailed the salesmen right away and said would you still offer me the same trade value on that particular stock number trailer. He replied yes and then said, when do you want to come out. I emailed him back that I was traveling a few days but, I'd touch base early next week. So, I touched base and he said that it had sold. That was two months ago, it's still on their website, last week I emailed and said, did that deal fall through. His response, no it sold and it's gone but, they didn't take it off the site yet. Today, I called, got another sales man and asked if that trailer was available, not giving my name. He said, yes it is available it's been on the lot for a few months and they want to make a sale on it.

Why would one salesman not want to sell the camper and lie to me that it wasn't available? Do they not want my trade? Is it because the difference of trade vs, that camper was minimal less than $2500.

I'm planning on calling the sales manager in the morning and telling him my story. Maybe the commission is just not enough and the salesman didn't want to deal with it.

If they aren't interested in my trade, why can't they just be honest. Am I crazy for trying to deal with the dealer to make a purchase if they don't want my sale?

I'm not looking for any service after the sale, it would be just a sale as I have other dealers closer.

Just curious if anyone else ever had this problem.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #2

I would call, but not say anything about the floor and see what they offer you

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #3

sounds like you are talking about my local dealer. They have 2 locations and their website shows inventory of both. While at one location looking at some used campers for a friend, I showed the salesman a picture on their website on my phone of one at the other location and he said its not there anymore. I drove past the other location about a week later and drove through the lot and found that camper. The inventory and website not always matching. I've bought 3 campers from this dealer though and always get a great deal. Service is a whole other story.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
I would call, but not say anything about the floor and see what they offer you
sure, when a guy comes in with same name and same model camper, that won't look suspicious.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
sounds like you are talking about my local dealer. They have 2 locations and their website shows inventory of both. While at one location looking at some used campers for a friend, I showed the salesman a picture on their website on my phone of one at the other location and he said its not there anymore. I drove past the other location about a week later and drove through the lot and found that camper. The inventory and website not always matching. I've bought 3 campers from this dealer though and always get a great deal. Service is a whole other story.

Interesting, judging by your location! I'm almost positive we are talking about the same dealer! One location is actually in your town. I've heard awesome things about them with regards to fair prices and good sales deals. I am not concerned over service but, I can't believe they would deal like this. I'm going to call the sales manager tomorrow and tell him the story.

As for not saying anything about the floor, I want to be honest and not get a number that would be for something in pristine condition.

I hear what you are saying though call and see what number they throw out without the issue just to see if it's because of my trade or not.

I think if I'm honest up front and give the sales manager and general manager an offer on their trailer vs mine and let them know i'm serious, maybe they will change their tune.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagstaffer06 View Post
Interesting, judging by your location! I'm almost positive we are talking about the same dealer! One location is actually in your town. I've heard awesome things about them with regards to fair prices and good sales deals. I am not concerned over service but, I can't believe they would deal like this. I'm going to call the sales manager tomorrow and tell him the story.

As for not saying anything about the floor, I want to be honest and not get a number that would be for something in pristine condition.

I hear what you are saying though call and see what number they throw out without the issue just to see if it's because of my trade or not.

I think if I'm honest up front and give the sales manager and general manager an offer on their trailer vs mine and let them know i'm serious, maybe they will change their tune.

I know who you are referring to and I have purchased 3 TT's from them and I wish you luck in escalating it to anyone higher. That being said, I would be interested in finding out what response you get. Good luck.

"Camping is not just a past time it is my relaxing way of life"
buskirk21921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #7

you are obviously dealing with Milford location. The location in my town is way different to deal with. 1 guy runs the whole show. He is the salesman, sales manager, finance guy, etc. He doesn't have to "run it by the manager" or answer to anyone. Good guy to deal with. He will sell you whats at the other location too. Maybe you should try dealing with him.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #8

Sorry I didn't mean to sound sneaky or lie about the floor. When we went looking for a new RV they asked us what we had to trade in, we told them, they gave us a number, they never asked what condition it was in or if everything worked. I told them our was in like new condition, they said it didn't matter, that was all they would offer. So my thing is if I'm trading in a like new unit and yours (not yours, I'm just saying) has problems, like water leaks, oven don't work . . . . they will give us both the same offer, at least that is what I have been told by a few dealerships.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #9

LittlePM,

No problem, no I agree with what you are saying, I've heard the same thing too. It's all about the markup in what you are buying. My thought too, in ANY case where they are offering you money for a trade sight unseen there is enough in the deal that they are making out or they wouldn't be setting themselves up for liability.

If it's a fair price both ways, I don't mind working with that number and wouldn't try to get more for my trade unless it was an insanely low number.

For instance, I had one dealer offer me about 40% of NADA value and he was selling his for 140% of value. Obviously, in that situation, it's not fair.

I'm going to take Dave's suggestion and call the smaller location of this dealer today, explain everything out and see what he says.

I just looked through emails and my original email to this dealer was inquiring about an RV at their other location, to which he replied it's sold. Well guess what, that too is still available. It sounds like they just don't want to deal with little commission or they are trying to force people to buying from their location instead of helping the customer.

Hoping for a good experience today!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
Site Team

Don't read too much into the website showing units after they've been sold. Many dealers pay "web masters" to set up and manage their websites. In those cases the info is only updated periodically, like once a month, and not daily. One salesman may know about a unit sold and another may be relying on the website (out of date) inventory.
Ask him to do something specific to that TT like getting you the tire manufacturing date. If he can do that the TT may be there. Of course there's always the bait and switch. Lol.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #11

Very good point! I took Davel's advice above and contacted the single person working at the smaller location. I was honest and up front and told him my expectations and experience. The good part is that he's in a salary role where the other people I dealt with before were comission only. He already is gathering some options for me and is gonig to give me a call back today.

It's amazing the games that are played out there! Hopefully it will work out though this time.

Tags
dealer