Old 08-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #11

Quality Control is non-existent.

It doesn't matter WHERE in the process it happens.

2014 Crusader 295rst
2014 F150 Fx4

Old 08-20-2015, 06:29 AM   #12

Engineering in an issue as well as management and the workers. They all play a part. I worked in manufacturing for 38 years. 30 as an hourly worker and 8 in Quality on salary. Part of my duties was supplier quality. The industry as a whole has a huge quality problem but it will not get fixed until "we" stop purchasing their products. Just like the big 3 in the late 70s. All 3 were producing junk and it didn't change until everyone started purchasing Japanese cars and put a hurt on the big 3.

It is clear the engineers don't use these products or management for that matter. Workers don't care anymore, it takes an act of congress to fire anyone these days and if you do the gov't keeps them up so why should they care.

It also seems they don't hold their suppliers accountable. Way to many issues with frames.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:04 AM   #13

You say that the quality should be better for $30K+.
I say the quality is non existent because they are only $30K.
In Australia we have to pay at least $50K for a travel trailer and $100K for a fifth wheel.
Our wages are over inflated though.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaka View Post
You say that the quality should be better for $30K+.
I say the quality is non existent because they are only $30K.
In Australia we have to pay at least $50K for a travel trailer and $100K for a fifth wheel.
Our wages are over inflated though.

I say that there should be QUALITY period!

I say things like "a grey tank valve was put INSIDE the underbelly" is almost a not funny prank!

There is just no integrity in management that no one is capable of controlling ANY of the process. From start to finish.

2014 Crusader 295rst
2014 F150 Fx4
Old 08-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #15

I completely agree. I have a bunch of little issues that I attempted to get covered under warranty, but the whole process was a joke. I apparently am just going to have to fix them myself if I ever want to be able to use my trailer and not have it sit in a dealership parking lot.

The one not so small issue that has me fuming the most is no so much with the build quality, but the marketing quality. My unit was advertised with a 57 gallon gray water capacity. After a few trips I noticed that it seemed off so I dropped the underbelly and took a look. Turns out the tank is only 31 gallons. So apparently the trailer has magical powers built into it to make 24 gallons of gray water just disappear. Forest River sent me a 2nd tank (which I am greatful for) but upon me bringing it to the dealer to have it installed, FR refused to cover any of the labor for it. After fighting with Forest River, and even having to threaten a legal battle, they finally agreed to cover 3 hours of labor where I had brought the trailer (have since picked it up). But now all of a sudden the dealer "isn't confident" about putting a 2nd tank in, so yet again, I'm going to just have to do it myself.

It really sucks because I plan on picking up a truck in a few years and trading this in for a 5th wheel. I LOVE the new XLR models, but the lack of quality and customer service will likely steer me somewhere else...
Old 08-20-2015, 12:52 PM   #16
Retired

While at the rally we went on a plant tour and they were telling us how many units they make in a day . Why can't they make one less unit a day by slowing down and improving quality control.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #17

I was in the automotive business and the marine industry for 4 decades. people who state its engineering/3rd party parts/or manufacturing, are missing the point. its all the same company. Things should be tested and inspected at all points on the assembly line. There should be QC for each individual aspect of the build process...there is NO excuse for poor quality
Old 08-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #18
Mr

I wonder whether FR is ISO certified! I have observed a number of QA issues with my new Vibe 279 RBS.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #19
Dr Travel

Two huge problems with building these things. One, noted earlier, is no quality control UP FRONT. Two, this is still a mom & pop industry after all these years, and everything is geared to saving a buck whenever/wherever possible. Slow to adopt new technology or upgrade to superior systems. A lot of that is because there are but a handful of suppliers and everyone buys from the same damn companies. Competitoin in the components field is almost non-existent. Good example is disc brakes. What the hell are we doing hauling around ten thousand pounds with DRUM BRAKES? Everything is cheap and based on price, not quality. When was the last time a manufacturer offered electric fridge on a basic unit instead of these friggin' Dometic and Norcold crap? They don't make AC units that can be recharged - "cheaper" to replace the unit when it stops functioning, as it will. Cheaper for who, the owner? We love our Rockwood Ultralight fifth wheel, but a lot of that has to do, I think, with a good dealer who did excellent prep. So far, so good, nothing has failed yet, and we simply fix the small glitches as we go, like most others. Not much we can do as owners…other than continue to complain, complain, complain to the mfr.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #20
Site Team

If you look at the issues most owners have, you will see that they are primarily the result of cost cutting( aka profit increasing) procedures. Fastening trim via brad gun, punching holes in walls to install items, cutting holes in tanks and not retrieving cut out, self tapping screws thru water and electric lines. Doing these tasks slightly different may add an hour or two to the total build time but could easily eliminate days of warranty rework.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, quality