Old 09-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #71

I agree with needing QC. But it is very necessary to do several hours of a PDI. There are some hidden items you won't find of course, but still, if you go ovet the RV with a fine tooth comb, most items would be corrected. JMHO

Old 09-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #72

To me the paying customer shouldn't have to spend hours going over their new travel trailer looking for QC issues. The shoddy workmanship items should not have left the factory door.

In our case the RV we bought had been on the dealers lot for several months. When we purchased it they had over a week to make ready. If they had looked at it, or even washed it before our appt to pick it up they would have noticed some of the issues, and could have taken care of them before we, the paying customer, arrived.

In comparison I recently purchased a 2015 vehicle, ordered what I wanted. The vehicle arrived at the dealership and we made an appt to pick it up 3 days later. When I arrived it was pristine, clean and sparkling. Did I have to do a several hour PDI with the dealer? Absolutely not. The vehicle was QC'd for a week before it ever arrived at the dealership. The Dealer also went through it with a fine tooth comb before we ever arrived. To date I have no issues with my new vehicle. Maybe FR should talk to GM about QC.....

Old 09-09-2015, 10:02 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by harderd View Post
Being ISO certified doesn't automatically make quality, you have to practice it. It Just means you figured out how to pass an audit.
Agree 100%
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:02 PM   #74

wife and i did a tour at a major rv factory this summer and was told by the tour guide that when the workers meet their quota for the day they get to go home. That partially explains the poor quality......these workers were working so fast that it's easy for me to see how they miss,forget and just mess up things. very poor QC
Old 09-09-2015, 10:04 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmurphy View Post
Quality Amish builders

Bingo.....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:10 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsr View Post
To me the paying customer shouldn't have to spend hours going over their new travel trailer looking for QC issues. The shoddy workmanship items should not have left the factory door.

In our case the RV we bought had been on the dealers lot for several months. When we purchased it they had over a week to make ready. If they had looked at it, or even washed it before our appt to pick it up they would have noticed some of the issues, and could have taken care of them before we, the paying customer, arrived.

In comparison I recently purchased a 2015 vehicle, ordered what I wanted. The vehicle arrived at the dealership and we made an appt to pick it up 3 days later. When I arrived it was pristine, clean and sparkling. Did I have to do a several hour PDI with the dealer? Absolutely not. The vehicle was QC'd for a week before it ever arrived at the dealership. The Dealer also went through it with a fine tooth comb before we ever arrived. To date I have no issues with my new vehicle. Maybe FR should talk to GM about QC.....

Obviously comparing a RV to a auto is great sport nowadays. It unfortunately is not two items that can or should be compared. If you said you had just bought a house and compared the two I would say that's fair. Any house I have seen built comes with a long punch list and the buyer is very involved.
I don't think anyone is saying this is your fault but a couple of points.
You had asked for and received good advice on doing your walk through. A list of 20 items not found tells me you and the dealer didn't do there job.
FR could do a better job on QC I think everyone agrees with that but consider that after they build the RV it then needs to be delivered to your dealer. That is a trip that could be 2-3 thousand miles. The driver is making money on turning and burning so a lot of bumps and maybe some high speed runs. There is bound to be things that need readjusting after that trip.
It's a RV. Things break and that is going to happen big you are dependent on a dealer to make everything right you will need a lot of patients and a fair amount of money to keep the RV up to your expectations.
Last it's a RV. They are supposed to be fun and relaxing. Don't get all caught up in being angry at FR or the dealer. Work things out knowing it will break again. ROLL WITH IT.
Don't leave you RV at a dealer for weeks or months. Don't let them tell you parts are on order and wait and wait. Most of the time it's BS.
Developing a relationship with the warranty and parts guy at FR is extremely important.
Good luck and ENJOY your new RV.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #77

IMO, Buffet’s Forest River is not in it for the long haul. Milk as much cash as you can while the economy/demand is strong and you can sell whatever crap you turnout.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:19 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
IMO, Buffet’s Forest River is not in it for the long haul. Milk as much cash as you can while the economy/demand is strong and you can sell whatever crap you turnout.

Not my experience at all. I see a huge company that is busting at the seems and doing the best they can. Most of the time it's pretty darn good. Mostly what I see is people that do not understand any part of their RV.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:22 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Not my experience at all. I see a huge company that is busting at the seems and doing the best they can. Most of the time it's pretty darn good. Mostly what I see is people that do not understand any part of their RV.

Right, I would agree with you, but that would make me a liar.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #80

I'll take the high road and agree to disagree.
I will say that I have several friends with winnebago motorhome's that have had serious issues.

Tags
forest river, quality