Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #41

Use the correct tool for the job. For what we do, it's diesel all the way. If you're going to try and make a penny pinching argument about gas vs diesel, you probably shouldn't be in the RV world...

The factory exhaust brake on the Dodge is, in a word, awesome!

I'm more worried about the HPFP going in my VW than I am in my Cummins. Oh, and there is no "g" in Cummins! Pet peeve.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #42
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Use the correct tool for the job. For what we do, it's diesel all the way. If you're going to try and make a penny pinching argument about gas vs diesel, you probably shouldn't be in the RV world...

The factory exhaust brake on the Dodge is, in a word, awesome!

I'm more worried about the HPFP going in my VW than I am in my Cummins. Oh, and there is no "g" in Cummins! Pet peeve.
I've been in the "RV world" for a long time with both gas and diesel. Gas trucks are more economical to purchase, we all know that. That's why I bought gas this time but for you to say that I shouldn't be in the RV world because I pinched some pennies, that's pretty snotty of you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #43

I've seen mid size SUVs such as the Ford Explorer with price tags more than the 2014 1 ton diesel I got last summer. Which one is money best spent on a tow vehicle?
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:48 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
I've been in the "RV world" for a long time with both gas and diesel. Gas trucks are more economical to purchase, we all know that. That's why I bought gas this time but for you to say that I shouldn't be in the RV world because I pinched some pennies, that's pretty snotty of you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Not snotty at all, just pointing out that we spend how many thousands of dollars on our campers, our trucks, our equipment, and CG fees, and then people agonize over the few dollars they might save over the life of the truck in the "gas vs diesel" argument? It's ridiculous. You can't tell me your gasser is better at towing vs a comparably equipped diesel version, right? So why not purchase...again...the right tool for the job? In for a penny, in for a pound, dude. It's not snotty, it's math!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
I've seen mid size SUVs such as the Ford Explorer with price tags more than the 2014 1 ton diesel I got last summer. Which one is money best spent on a tow vehicle?
Amen, brother! DW just purchased a well-known and storied British SUV, which she has an affinity for (why, I'm not sure, but she likes it and it's her $, so keep momma happy.) What she spent on said SUV could have easily bought the largest diesel tow rig that I could possibly ever want. But that's what she wanted, so I'm not arguing. I'd just never do it!
Old 03-28-2014, 06:06 AM   #45
phat phrog stunt crew

Never argue with momma. Never never never. Just because she doesn't say anything after your las comment to her doesn't mean you won the argument
Old 03-28-2014, 06:26 AM   #46

I say go for it by the diesel well worth it in the end in my opinion. More plus's then minus's.
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #47
William

Quote:
Not snotty at all, just pointing out that we spend how many thousands of dollars on our campers, our trucks, our equipment, and CG fees, and then people agonize over the few dollars they might save over the life of the truck in the "gas vs diesel" argument? It's ridiculous. You can't tell me your gasser is better at towing vs a comparably equipped diesel version, right? So why not purchase...again...the right tool for the job? In for a penny, in for a pound, dude. It's not snotty, it's math!

Amen, brother! DW just purchased a well-known and storied British SUV, which she has an affinity for (why, I'm not sure, but she likes it and it's her $, so keep momma happy.) What she spent on said SUV could have easily bought the largest diesel tow rig that I could possibly ever want. But that's what she wanted, so I'm not arguing. I'd just never do it!
Yep, you were a bit rude. Some folks buy gas tow vehicles for different reasons. I'm not going to argue with you that diesel tows better than gas, that's not an argument. "You can't tell me your gasser is better at towing vs a comparably equipped diesel version, right?" - I can tell you I can tow where ever you tow and get there safely, I just don't have 800 foot pounds of torque. Don't belittle others that enjoy the RV lifestyle because I don't tow with a diesel. That's how your post came across.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
Wow. the world is suppose end soon to so I guess us diesel owners will not have to worry about this.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forest River Forums mobile app
I've never said you made a poor or foolish decision by getting a diesel. I've relayed my findings through hours of research. If you want to keep your head in the sand, then so be it. You don't have to get hostile toward me in defense of your choice to go diesel. The majority of people will likely have no problems- doesn't mean you have to be rude to anyone that points out the potential of a high cost repair and the erroneous line of thinking that if it does happen you only are out the cost of the fuel pump.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #49

There have been numerous thread on gas vs diesel. I find this conversation entertaining. Yes when I towed with a gasser I was happy and it got me from point A to point B. Since I started buying diesels it confirmed that all the negatives people talk about: high maintenance, high purchase price, higher diesel prices, just is not true and the math points to diesel; especially if you tow. Most people that try to convince everyone that diesels are bad never had one. I had both and as long as I am towing I will never buy a gasser again. But I am not saying gassers are bad. My wife was one of those people that had the same negative ideas of diesels and now that we have one she loves it and she is not a "truck" person. Once again I am not saying gassers are bad I was happy with mine but all the negatives that people that never had a diesel, try to convince other people or themselves of, are just "NOT TRUE"
Old 03-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
I'm not going to argue with you that diesel tows better than gas, that's not an argument.
Your own words are making my point. You may tow everywhere I do, but you don't do it as safely and comfortably as you would if your truck was a diesel instead of gas. The whole RV lifestyle is a luxury, not a necessity, and to worry about the cost vs towing safety and performance of diesel vs gas is silly. But you drive what you want, that's why we live here and not some Communist county (like the soon to be resurrected Soviet Union, apparently.)
Old 03-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #51

This is the way I look at it. There's 2 ways of thinking here. Either you want the HP and fuel economy now or you worry about whether or not the diesel will pay you back while you own it. I went with wanting the HP and economy now. I'll worry about breakdowns when the extended warranty runs out. I've had two diesel TVs since 2001, the latest being a 2011. My thoughts and my opinion. Why argue about what might and might not happen? Get what you want and be happy with it...or not. Sometimes I really have to shake my head over this pettiness. Mine is better than yours crap. Get what you want. Just be safe in your decision regarding the abilities of your TV to carry the load and haul your trailer. I'm getting off my box now. Stay safe.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
There have been numerous thread on gas vs diesel. I find this conversation entertaining. Yes when I towed with a gasser I was happy and it got me from point A to point B. Since I started buying diesels it confirmed that all the negatives people talk about: high maintenance, high purchase price, higher diesel prices, just is not true and the math points to diesel; especially if you tow. Most people that try to convince everyone that diesels are bad never had one. I had both and as long as I am towing I will never buy a gasser again. But I am not saying gassers are bad. My wife was one of those people that had the same negative ideas of diesels and now that we have one she loves it and she is not a "truck" person. Once again I am not saying gassers are bad I was happy with mine but all the negatives that people that never had a diesel, try to convince other people or themselves of, are just "NOT TRUE"
I think you'd have to be a complete fool to argue that the diesel is not clearly the better choice for regular towing. The more you tow, the more economical it becomes. I've had 2- 7.3's and a 6.7. Both great engines. Now have an Ecoboost. Great engine, too, IMHO. With that being said, there are definitely more maintenance costs and repair costs of diesels are higher. Those are facts. Once again, if you tow regularly and heavy, the 6.7 is far and away the superior choice. Maybe I'm off base here, but it seems that many people here have the financial ability to always have newer vehicles that are covered under a factory warranty and are unaware of the expense of repairing diesel vehicles???
Old 03-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Maybe I'm off base here, but it seems that many people here have the financial ability to always have newer vehicles that are covered under a factory warranty and are unaware of the expense of repairing diesel vehicles???
Trust me bro...I just traded in a 2006 VW Jetta TDI with 237k miles on the clock, and in 2012 I traded in my 2001 Dodge CTD with 120k. Believe me, I know all about the expense of maintaining a diesel vehicle! It's still worth it, IMO.

I'm just saying they're better for towing. In the grand scheme of what we spend on this "hobby," "lifestyle," or whatever you want to call it, the difference between a gas and diesel truck becomes very inconsequential. Let's say you are looking at a $30,000 camper, and also a $25,000 camper, and you decide to buy the $25,000 camper. In five years, you're not really going to remember the $5000 you saved by buying the cheaper camper, but you are going to notice (every time you go camping) that "aww, this unit doesn't have a black tank flush," or "this unit doesn't have a power awning," or whatever. Delayed buyers remorse, if you will.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #54

Quote:
Trust me bro...I just traded in a 2006 VW Jetta TDI with 237k miles on the clock, and in 2012 I traded in my 2001 Dodge CTD with 120k. Believe me, I know all about the expense of maintaining a diesel vehicle! It's still worth it, IMO.

I'm just saying they're better for towing. In the grand scheme of what we spend on this "hobby," "lifestyle," or whatever you want to call it, the difference between a gas and diesel truck becomes very inconsequential. Let's say you are looking at a $30,000 camper, and also a $25,000 camper, and you decide to buy the $25,000 camper. In five years, you're not really going to remember the $5000 you saved by buying the cheaper camper, but you are going to notice (every time you go camping) that "aww, this unit doesn't have a black tank flush," or "this unit doesn't have a power awning," or whatever. Delayed buyers remorse, if you will.
No offense, but your sig indicates that you are a little out of touch with what is inconsequential to many of us.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #55

Quote:
No offense, but your sig indicates that you are a little out of touch with what is inconsequential to many of us.
No offense, huh? Excuse me, but I think you're being presumptuous to assume anything from my sig. Just what are you implying? If you want to say something, say it Jack. My sig says the same thing everyone else's says--that I work hard for what I have and I don't expect anything from anyone. If you're implying something else, then maybe you need to be more clear.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #56
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
No offense, huh? Excuse me, but I think you're being presumptuous to assume anything from my sig. Just what are you implying? If you want to say something, say it Jack. My sig says the same thing everyone else's says--that I work hard for what I have and I don't expect anything from anyone. If you're implying something else, then maybe you need to be more clear.

Quote:
Getting a little stuffy in here......

Pull the reigns back boys! Whooooooaaaaaa.....

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #57

These gas vs diesel threads never get old....what a way to get the camping juices flowing so early in the year!! "

I plead the fifth on my sig is my new sig...lol
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #58

Quote:
I was trying to be a little comical- but if you want clear, I'll get clear. You are trying to tell people here that paying for a diesel or buying $5K worth of options in inconsequential- just because we camp??? You need to get real. There are many of us on here that would see $13K worth of additional expense as much more than inconsequential. What I assume from your sig is you have more disposable income than many on here. If you read what I said as meaning you don't work had for what you have, then I would assume you have a major chip on your shoulder. This is WAY OT, but you asked. Sorry mods.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #59

Oh, is that all you were implying? I won't comment on that--frankly, my disposable income (or your flawed perception of it) is really none of your business. You can imply anything you want from my sig, just like anyone else's sig.

The point I'm trying to get across here (apparently futilely) is that you're not going to miss that $5k you saved by going gas instead of diesel in the grand scheme of things when you consider how much this hobby costs us on a yearly basis (I don't know where you got the $13k, but oh well.) But you are going to be reminded (every time you pull your camper) that you wish you'd bought the diesel.

Can you drive in a screw with hammer? Yes, but it's probably not going to be pretty.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Oh, is that all you were implying? I won't comment on that--frankly, my disposable income (or your flawed perception of it) is really none of your business. You can imply anything you want from my sig, just like anyone else's sig.

The point I'm trying to get across here (apparently futilely) is that you're not going to miss that $5k you saved by going gas instead of diesel in the grand scheme of things when you consider how much this hobby costs us on a yearly basis (I don't know where you got the $13k, but oh well.) But you are going to be reminded (every time you pull your camper) that you wish you'd bought the diesel.

Can you drive in a screw with hammer? Yes, but it's probably not going to be pretty.
The 13K number came from the ~$8K additional cost of a diesel engine over the gas alternative and the $5K in upgrades on a camper you say everyone should spring for. You seem to have taken great offense to my making assumptions about your income level based upon your sig, but you had no problem making assumptions that anyone who camps won't miss $5K (which in reality is ~$8K for the diesel + the $5K on camper upgrades you mention). Seems like a little bit of the pot calling the kettle black. I DO agree that, if financially able, you SHOULD go ahead and get what you really want instead of being cheap. Just trying to point out that many of us that camp aren't doing so because we have large amounts of disposable income. Many of us sacrifice other things to be able to camp and spend time with family.

Tags
diesel, gas