Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #61
Camper Less Camping

We're all passionate about what we own...at the very end of every buying decision is what can I afford and how much do I want to invest in maintaining it.

When camping, the family to my right in the tent & Kia Sport and the family to my right in the $80K toyhauler and F450 are all having the same fun as me in my $40K fifth wheel and excellent conditioned older model Chevy DMAX!

I'm buying the adult beverages & firewood when I run into you guys at the campground!

Old 03-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #62
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Your own words are making my point. You may tow everywhere I do, but you don't do it as safely and comfortably as you would if your truck was a diesel instead of gas. The whole RV lifestyle is a luxury, not a necessity, and to worry about the cost vs towing safety and performance of diesel vs gas is silly. But you drive what you want, that's why we live here and not some Communist county (like the soon to be resurrected Soviet Union, apparently.)
As safely, really? BTW you stating that if someone penny pinches and buys a gas tow vehicle, then they don't need to be in the RV world. That's where this conversation got crossways.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #63

I'm just saying that if you're that worried about the few dollars difference between the long term cost of gas vs long term cost of diesel, then maybe the RV life isn't for you. It's an expensive lifestyle, we all know that, and it can't be done on a shoestring budget, at least not safely. But again, you do what you want and what works. I tend to hold onto a truck for a long time (2001 to 2011,) so the diesel makes financial sense.

And, btw--the $5k comparison I made was meant as a stand-alone example. I was not implying you should pay $8k more for a diesel and then spend $5k more on a camper--it was just to point out the long-term effects that you'll feel from that $5k decision (whether it's on a camper or on a TV.) I've never bought a brand new truck, so I couldn't tell you the price difference between a new diesel and a new gasser. For the VW, it was about $1,000 this last time. I'm guessing for a Ram, is more like $5-$6k.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #64

one thing that nobody ever brings up in the gas-diesel argument is resale value. Take 2 identical trucks, except one is gas and one is diesel. Lets say 200,000 miles on each truck. The difference in the value of the 2 trucks will be equivalent to the extra you paid for the diesel in the first place, so you lost NOTHING.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Can you drive in a screw with hammer? Yes, but it's probably not going to be pretty.
For the record, I drove 2 screws with a hammer today. They went in flawlessly. No big deal!
Old 03-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
one thing that nobody ever brings up in the gas-diesel argument is resale value. Take 2 identical trucks, except one is gas and one is diesel. Lets say 200,000 miles on each truck. The difference in the value of the 2 trucks will be equivalent to the extra you paid for the diesel in the first place, so you lost NOTHING.

Amen!! And often times it will be MORE than the option cost, gas will have almost no resale value at that point.

Guys, gas can certainly "get the job done" but it'll never be a good choice for those who tow heavily and/or frequently. The EcoBoost motor has closed the gap but it's still about 25-35% off in fuel mileage and longevity has yet to be seen...in addition to resale value with higher miles.

Semi trucks will never be gasoline powered and neither will the majority of commercial equipment, for good reason. Gas is certainly cheaper up front but much more expensive in the long run, for many reasons.

Is gas wrong? No.
Pick the truck that best meets your needs. I for one know I'd have a hard time going back to gas for towing after having Diesels.

Tags
diesel, gas