Old 09-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #11

I think I am going to look around on ebay for the Dish. I can just pull a receiver out of my house when I travel.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #12

We picked up our dish from the dumpster beside an apartment complex. Seems they put in a new one anytime a new resident moves in.

We also got a couple of old ones that our tenants had installed (we own several rental properties) just recently and gave them to friends that also wanted to take DTV in their RVs.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #13

I got the winguard mp-1 carryout dish and took a receiver from the house. The only downside to this dish I have found is that if your receiver box is the swim only system it won't work so I had dtv send me a non-swim one and it works great. (Didn't cost me a dime because I was over due for an upgrade anyways). I don't get local channels but I personally don't care I just wanted tv to watch. I get all my package channels except the locals no matter where I am.
I use apps on my phone to set up the dish and it takes me about 15 min from start to Finnish. Honestly it takes longer for the box to go threw all it's checks and everything than it takes me to get a good signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #14

What apps do you use?

Old 09-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #15

We are going seasonal next season so I called direct TV today to ask about a setup at the campground. They referred me to a local franchisee.
(We currently do not have direct TV at home.)
I asked about the setup and he said it would be no problem for him to sign me up for a new contract, install the "free" equipment and get me up and going.
I had asked him about getting an old dish and receiver from a "relative" (ebay for $30) and asked if I could activate it. He said the old "deactivated boxes" and outdated dish would not work and I would require new equipment. He also said the TT's are tricky and I would require a new cable splitter behind the antenna booster because the factory uses junk and it would not work with a dish?
I am sure he is trying to make a sale but has anyone purchased or found a used dish and receiver and just called for activation on a new account? Is it even worth it to go used if you have to sign up for a new account and get the receiver and dish with the deal?
Thank you in advance,
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #16

We have bought our own receivers on ebay and added to our dish account - its an extra $7 a month for each extra box we have - we do not have HD or DVR or HOPPER at home - not that much of a TV junkie - just want some news and a couple outdoor channels - no sports either but we have the most pkg they offer without movies and sports packages

We just call dish in the spring and have them send a "HIT" since we havent been using it - we do this at home in driveway to be sure everything works - the hit will last until we get to our seasonal site and hook up to camper

We got in touch with a local dish guy who came to campground on a saturday and set up the dish for us and our camping neighbors - we used old dish from old house anyway and he put them up for us - we got setup and he made out $$ too !!

We did not tell dish where it was located besides our home so they dont need to know anyway - we get our local channels even though we are outside that market but the dish guy set it for us !!

There was no special wiring setup needed either - hookup sat wire to right spot outside and same to television inside - all labled right in camper and VOILA - it works

We are actually adding another box next year in bedroom - have to watch same channel as living room now but seperate box will change that !!

Old 09-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #17

heavynlori,
Thank you for the reply. It would sound like I would have to have a dish or direct tv account at home for this to work at the seasonal site at a campground regardless of where I got the dish and receiver? I would just have to buy an additional dish and receiver to leave at the campground for the monthly fee for an additional receiver as opposed to the yearly contract at home?
TIA,
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
What apps do you use?

I use the sat tools from direct tv (4.99) but it makes sure I have clear line of sight and then I use dish align. It was free and all u do is pick which sat u want and it will tell u the azimuth and elevation for the dish then you just click the compass on it and it lines you up pretty dang close!

Old 09-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #19

Humm, I have the Genie and Genie Minis, I am not sure this will work. I may have to get another receiver.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #20

We also have DirecTV in our house, and while we were at the Hershey show this past weekend looking at portable antennae, we were told that DirecTV's portable RV antenna will not receive HD signals. So if you have DirecTV, and you want an HD signal, you'll have to install a house-type dish on your camper, and it's $7 a month for the extra receiver. DW wanted HD TV, so we purchased a Dish Network portable antenna and receiver. More $, but if momma's not happy, no one is. I was disappointed that DirecTV can't get HD on their portables.

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote