Old 09-15-2014, 11:26 PM   #21

All you need is a slimline dish and you can get directv hd on the Rv. I have been looking into that tailgater.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 09-15-2014, 11:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
Humm, I have the Genie and Genie Minis, I am not sure this will work. I may have to get another receiver.
Yes I'm afraid you're in the same boat I was in. The Genie DVR might work but the smaller Genie's are a no-go since they rely on the DVR to function.

I just added an H25 Direct TV receiver to my home contract for $7 per month and take it with me. It costs the same as it would to add one to your home setup.

Nothing is better than being able to watch that thing you just cant miss while you're 400 miles from home.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:50 AM   #23

That is a good idea. Where did you get your dish?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-16-2014, 06:06 AM   #24

Get this New DirecTV 3 LNB SWM Swim Dish HD HDTV TV Slimline Slim Tripod Tailgating RV | eBay and one of these DIRECTV H25 High Definition MPEG-4 Receiver (H-25) from Solid Signal if you have a smartphone get this app SatFinder lite. The app uses your camera to show you the satellite arc and the elevation to set the dish at, it also shows the line of sight so if there are trees you can move around until you find the right spot to place your dish. The app allows you to filter out the satellites you don't need. You'll be surprised how easy it is to to find the sweet spot even if you are in a slightly treed site. once you do it a few times it will take you 5-10 minutes to setup.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #25

I got my dish from a neighbor who wanted it off his roof. I went ahead and bought the newer SWM lnb for it and a tripod and power inserter and we're good to go. Grand total for the satellite dish of about $50.

Any smart phone has a compass on it, after the 1st time you set it all up you'll probably be able to do it in less than 15 minutes.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #26

You can find a slimline dish on ebay for about $75 if you want DTV HD, then locate a tripod online or fab one as others have done. I used an outdoor umbrella stand as a base for my slimline for a while and it worked great. Later I bought a tripod from these TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod guys and pointing that bad boy got so much easier.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #27

I saw the HD receiver in the Camping World catalog last night fro $99. I think I may just buy one so that I can activate it only when I need it or I may just breakdown and pay $7 a month and get my son TV in his room.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #28

One bit of advice if you go with a conventional dish, especially a slimline since there is a tilt setting to it. Be very careful not toknock it around too much in transport and use a good anchor to keep it from being toppled over in a gust of wind. I use a 5 galllon bucket filled with water centered directly under the tripod attached by a turn buckle. I can't tell you how many times I've walked around the park in the early morning and noticed dishes/tripods laying in the middle of the street following a freak night time storm. These dishes will need to be reset/readjusted if they get really banged around. HTH

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #29

Our tripod blew over while down on the Texas coast and you're right, its pretty out of calibration now so that adds time to the setup process.
I think the lnb arm got bent just slightly but, slightly is a lot when trying to hit a object flying through space.

No one said camping was easy 😄
Old 09-18-2014, 02:37 AM   #30

Send a message via MSN to redjet
I have the genie and client in my TT which is hooked up using the SWM. It requires a slimline antenna (larger parabola) and a SWM lnb (single element gets HD and local channels). You also need a 19vDC power supply and a SWM splitter. A coax line from the antenna connects into the splitter and the power supply also connects into the splitter which powers the lnb. A single line runs into the bedroom from the main cabin and a port on the splitter connects the bedroom. Basically everything is multiplexed on the 19vdc so it makes no difference which room the genie or client are located in.

I accidently stepped on my antenna and bent the parabola portion. Paid $10 for a replacement on Craigs list. We camp 6 months of the year on the coast so I have the antenna mounted on a surveyors tripod and anchored to the ground for wind security.

I only have to move the genie and client to the camper as I was able to get a SWM splitter and Power supply from a DTV installer and permanently mounted it in the TT. Easy install and setup. DTV will give you the elevation you need for a particular zip code and azimuth. I use an apps on my phone to set the azimuth. There were early genies that were kinda large but mine are the smaller HR44 and C41.

Hope this helped.