Old 09-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #41

We do have Direct-tv. Gonna give this a try. But, what is SWM? Thanks so much.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #42

If this was mentioned, I apologize, with more than 4 pages of comments, I didnt take the time to read them all.

This isnt going to be a sure fire way for everyone to get DirecTv in their RV (because not everyone has the required pieces), but this is what my wife and I do. In order to do this, there are some things you need: IPad (may work with any tablet, but we use an IPad so that is what I am describing), GenieGo from DirecTv, WiFi (if the camp doesnt have WiFi you can use your data service, but be careful about how much because it certainly costs if you exceed the data limits), and a "dongle" to connect the IPad to the HDMI on the Television.

With the IPad/GenieGo set up, you can remotely watch your home's directv through your IPad on your RV's television. My wife also uses it at home to watch her shows if I am watching my sports, that way we can be in the same room.

It isnt a perfect solution, we just started playing with the capabilities in the RV, but an IPad and the required cables are far easier to deal with than a sat dish. The dish takes up space, it adds weight to your vehicle, you need to get it set up with a solid signal (and most campgrounds arent a wide open field, so trees, etc can block the signal). To set up our configuration takes the amount of time to get connected to wifi and you dont have to step outside of the vehicle

Old 09-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon.72064 View Post
Helmsey, my husband & I are so frustrated with this subject. Just got a new TT with HD TV. We have a dish we retreved from our sons home when he moved. From there, we know nothing. Is there anyway you can explain to us (perhaps step x step!), on what we need to do. We are considering calling Direct to come out & install it, but really don't want to spend that kind of $. Your help or anybodys would be so helpful. Remember that you are talking to two people who just can't quite get it when hooking up TVs. Any pictures would really help. Thank you in advance.
What dish do you have...the oval or round one? If it is oval and for HD I'm sorry but I can't be much help with that. I use the standard def 18" round dish.

Mikegjax listed some good steps so I would start there and see what you come up with.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #44

SWM is directv latest system that requires electrical power to the antenna.
The older antennas get their power through the receiver coax rather than a separate pwr source.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #45

Not sure why everyone feels they need SWM in their RV for 2 TVs. The idea beyhind SWM was to make it easier and less expensive to wire homes with a single wire per TV and have more then 2 recievers per. But unless you need to have a Genie with 5 channels recording at once, SWM is not needed.

To this day I use a dual LNB either 18" dish or the winegaurd stationary tracking dish on the top of my 5th wheel without any issue. I have a DVR and a SD reciever in the RV. I have no need for whole home, I have no need for HD. My house is full HD and SWM and even had both units activated at my house on the SWM system. When I moved them to the RV, I went into settings and changed the setings from SWM to multiswitch and 18" dish. Never had a problem to date.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrostek View Post
Not sure why everyone feels they need SWM in their RV for 2 TVs. The idea beyhind SWM was to make it easier and less expensive to wire homes with a single wire per TV and have more then 2 recievers per. But unless you need to have a Genie with 5 channels recording at once, SWM is not needed.

To this day I use a dual LNB either 18" dish or the winegaurd stationary tracking dish on the top of my 5th wheel without any issue. I have a DVR and a SD reciever in the RV. I have no need for whole home, I have no need for HD. My house is full HD and SWM and even had both units activated at my house on the SWM system. When I moved them to the RV, I went into settings and changed the setings from SWM to multiswitch and 18" dish. Never had a problem to date.
I prefer to have HD in my 5th wheel (my home away from home) and while a SWM setup is not necessary for HD if I had one of the older receivers I would not need it but, I have a H25 receiver which requires the SWM LNB and Power Inserter.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #47

Direct TV

Assembled the dish tonight and put it on a home made tripod. Attached the a signal detector and was able to get some beeps out of the system. Had to use some duck tape to create a couple custom spacers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1412299971.530255.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	873.7 KB
ID:	64010Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1412299982.486672.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	542.6 KB
ID:	64011Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1412300004.400345.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	578.5 KB
ID:	64012

I will keep playing with it until I figure it all out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
Assembled the dish tonight and put it on a home made tripod. Attached the a signal detector and was able to get some beeps out of the system. Had to use some duck tape to create a couple custom spacers.

Attachment 64010Attachment 64011Attachment 64012

I will keep playing with it until I figure it all out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Save yourself some time and frustration those signal meters unless you buy a high dollar one will pickup every satellite in the sky. Not sure if it is available for your Iphone but if it is download SatFinder. It will use your camera and show the arc along with the elevation to set your dish at. Then go into Settings/Satellite/Signal Strength on your receiver. have someone watch signal and slowly move the dish until you get signal then it is just a matter of micro movements until you get your best signal. Key on the 101 satellite then make slight elevation adjustments on while on satellites 99 and 103. Keep in mind that on 99 and 103 there are 3 different bands and you will not get any signal on a few of them.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Save yourself some time and frustration those signal meters unless you buy a high dollar one will pickup every satellite in the sky. Not sure if it is available for your Iphone but if it is download SatFinder. It will use your camera and show the arc along with the elevation to set your dish at. Then go into Settings/Satellite/Signal Strength on your receiver. have someone watch signal and slowly move the dish until you get signal then it is just a matter of micro movements until you get your best signal. Key on the 101 satellite then make slight elevation adjustments on while on satellites 99 and 103. Keep in mind that on 99 and 103 there are 3 different bands and you will not get any signal on a few of them.
thanks for the advice. I going camping this weekend but after that I am going to contact Direct TV to activate my receiver. The receiver I have does not have a card, so I am not sure its working yet. If you do not mind me asking, I am confused on the 101, 99, 103. When I look up the satellite on the app, I get like 5 different DirecTV options. I still not understanding it completely. Also, this dish has a tilt on it, I could find no tilt settings on Directv's website for tilt. Any thoughts?
Old 10-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #50

Sometimes I forget that people live in different parts of the country and I am not sure if out west there are different satellites but, on the east coast the main one is the 101 and the 95 and 103 are most spotbeams for the local channels. as for the tilt when you going to dish setup it asks for your zipcode and will give you elevation, tilt and azimuth. which is great if you are a lot more north or south then where you live or camp regularly.