Old 10-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #51

If yor are using the round 18" antenna you don't need to set tilt. Tilt is used on HD slimline antennas.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #52

I have the slimline 5 antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 10-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #53

You will need to set the tilt for the area that you are in. The signal meter will pickup any satellite it is pointed at. That is why you might want an app to better align the antenna. Using the receiver signal meter is best if you have another person assisting. Look around at other antennas and get a rough idea of where to point.

Good luck and be patient. After you have gotten it working a couple of times it gets easier.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #54

I practiced setting it up in my yard before we went camping. After a few trips I became quite proficient and could have it set up and going in minutes. Then while in Utah a sudden gust of wind slammed it to the ground and broke something and I could never get it to work again. I ended up buying a tailgater.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:34 AM   #55

Send a message via MSN to redjet
I explained the installation in post #30 for a dtv with SWM. To clairify I have a slimline 3 antenna for satellites 99, 101 & 103. I get all of the HD and local national channels, ie, abc, cbs, etc. The slimline 5 is more difficult to setup so don't go there. I have a surveyor tripod with a leveling bubble in the center. Set the tripod up and secure it in place. I use a ground screw to tethering a dog in a yard or a bucket of sand or whatever. Call dtv tech support and they will give you the tilt and azimuth for the zip code the antenna is in. set the tilt on the antenna before placing it on the tripod. When you place it on the tripod, the only thing left is setting the azimuth. FORGET about meters as they are expensive for swm systems. Either use an apps on your phone or just have someone watch the tv (on setup - signal strength meter set to satellite 101) until the signal appears. turn the antenna through the signal one way until it drops off then the other until it drops again. set it half way between and lock it down.

THE ENTIRE SYSTEM MUST BE HOOKED UP BEFORE TRYING TO TUNE FOR A SIGNAL.

What is SWM? Single Wire Multiswitch

In my travel trailer my outside OTA antenna and cable are routed to the main cabin and the bedroom via splitter. Satellite input is not part of this system. My TT has a Satellite connection on the outside that is routed to a connector in the main cabin. I also have a single coax that goes from the main cabin to the bedroom. As the swm is a single wire system, the antenna connects to outside connector on TT which connects to the connector on the main cabin inside. From this connector a coax goes to a SWM splitter. A coax from the splitter goes to the main DTV rcvr, another goes to the connector that leads to the bedroom and connects to another dtv rcvr. A 19-21 vdc power supply also connects to the swm splitter. Naturally there is a connection from the rcvrs to the tvs which are probably HDMI.

Why SWM in an RV? I have the genie which has very small rcvrs. Actually it has one rcvr and a smaller remote unit. Because its on a single wire, if I don't have enough shelf space for the rcvr in the main cabin I can put it in the bedroom and put the small remote unit in the main cabin.

If you have the large rcvrs shown in one of the posts, I would not pu them in the RV. TOO big and bulky - upgrade to Genie (HR44 Rcvr and C41 Client). Get the SWM power supply and splitter and slimline antenna from a DTV installer. And remember get the SWM3 lnb NOT SWM5.

This all may sound a little complicated but believe me it's really not that bad.

Send a pm if you need more info. Perhaps a picture or two may help.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #56
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjet View Post
I explained the installation in post #30 for a dtv with SWM....
rj, your explanations have been so helpful to me that I'm close to pulling the trigger on a system to receive DirecTV HD in my Wildcat. I already use DirecTV at home, use an HR44-500 Genie receiver/HD DVR in my family room and C41-700 mini-Genie client receivers in two other rooms. I plan to move the Genie and 1 mini to the trailer before each trip. I have a compass and bubble level app in my iPhone iOS and plan to download a cheap satellite "locator" app to my phone.

Here's hoping my trailer coax system is wired something like you describe. The trailer is a 2015 Wildcat which has Sat1 and Sat2 (plus Cable) inputs in the utility part of the basement (I see that I won't need both Sat-ins with my SWM system but it gives me some hope F.R. rigged it for modern sat. service). In my main room, I have a coax running from a grommet in the wall to the TV's ANT/CABLE connection - plus an unlabeled coax connector in a wall plate (next to a secondary 110v outlet) on the right side of the TV cabinet. In the bedroom, I have a Winegard wall plate with coax connections labeled Aux/Sat and TV.

I plan on assembling my own satellite antenna tripod using PVC - have seen such in campgrounds. Now, would you care to critique the following package for the antenna setup? DirecTV Kaku SWM3 SWM 3 LNB Slimline Ka KU Dish SL3S MPEG4 HD 4way New Satellite | eBay I hereby state in public I will not sue you based in your opinion!

Thanks for your past help and in advance for any future help.
Dan

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:16 AM   #57

Send a message via MSN to redjet
mr dan - that looks like an excellent deal on ebay. It will give you the items to wire the swm splitter and power supply into the camper as a permanent installation. You will have to look on the splitter to correctly connect the power and antenna. The other three connects are for an HR44 and up to two clients (C41s). The picture shows 75 ohm terminators on the splitter. all ports not used MUST have a terminator. The HR44 (or SWM compatible Rx) is a must the others are optional.

On my TT (2014 rockwood signature) the satellite-in connection is on the OTA amp. It is the upper connection.

I suggest that you do continuity checks on the satellite in (on the outside connection) to where ever it goes in the main cabin. Do the same for the line leading to the bedroom. The SWM will not work if a standard splitter is in the circuit. If you don't have a meter, try harbor freight (assuming you have one nearby). They are about $7 and you may be able to get one free with one of their coupons.

Finally, while your doing continuity checks look at the color of the connectors insulator. If they are clear or white, they are low frequency barrel connectors. I recommend you change to a high frequency type which is any color other than clear or white. I picked up some at Home depot - they had a blue insulator. Very easy to change as there is only one nut holding the barrel connector in place.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #58
Site Team

Direct TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjet View Post
mr dan - that looks like an excellent deal on ebay. It will give you the items to wire the swm splitter and power supply into the camper as a permanent installation. You will have to look on the splitter to correctly connect the power and antenna. The other three connects are for an HR44 and up to two clients (C41s). The picture shows 75 ohm terminators on the splitter. all ports not used MUST have a terminator. The HR44 (or SWM compatible Rx) is a must the others are optional.

On my TT (2014 rockwood signature) the satellite-in connection is on the OTA amp. It is the upper connection.

I suggest that you do continuity checks on the satellite in (on the outside connection) to where ever it goes in the main cabin. Do the same for the line leading to the bedroom. The SWM will not work if a standard splitter is in the circuit. If you don't have a meter, try harbor freight (assuming you have one nearby). They are about $7 and you may be able to get one free with one of their coupons.

Finally, while your doing continuity checks look at the color of the connectors insulator. If they are clear or white, they are low frequency barrel connectors. I recommend you change to a high frequency type which is any color other than clear or white. I picked up some at Home depot - they had a blue insulator. Very easy to change as there is only one nut holding the barrel connector in place.

Thx! Makes sense. On it!
(I have a multimeter.)

Sent (I think)

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #59

Well a bit of an update. I have been working to get this H21 receiver up and running but after talking to DirectTV, they will no longer activate that equipment. They are only activating SWiM equipment because they are trying to retire the older equipment. So I ordered a SWiM receiver from them for my son's room. I also ordered that lbn from Amazon and will try to do this once again when the equipment arrives.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
Well a bit of an update. I have been working to get this H21 receiver up and running but after talking to DirectTV, they will no longer activate that equipment. They are only activating SWiM equipment because they are trying to retire the older equipment. So I ordered a SWiM receiver from them for my son's room. I also ordered that lbn from Amazon and will try to do this once again when the equipment arrives.

I called DTV last week to inquire about ending my relationship with them and was told I would only be required to return my SWM receivers and not my H21's. Makes sense now.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote