Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #1

Disaster with a Silver Lining

We have been doing a lot of RV annual maintenance on our fifth wheel. DW put down carpet cleaning powder. She was vacuuming it up and did not notice filter bag had come undone. Blew all the powder out back of vacuum all over inside of trailer. A scream let me know something was up. After cleaning up and getting things back to somewhat normal, decided to remove grate under Refrig to see if anything got in there. No powder but a ton of dead grass. Some varmint was making a winter nest in there. I do not know how the heater did not start it on fire as the night before we had it on. Pulled out a tall kitchen garbage bag full of the stuff. Went under the trailer and found the hole. Only thing I had to repair the underbelly plastic sheet was some eternabond. Worked great. While under trailer I looked around and saw 1 ft by 2 ft flap hanging down. The plastic underbelly was cut to do some warranty work a couple of years ago. They never even taped it into place. Hole was big enough for a raccoon to go through. Fortunately no tenants. Taped opening closed with more eternabond. (Thanks Forum for telling me about this stuff. Was the only thing I had on hand to effect a quick repair.) So all is well. I hope. We'll see when I get back to my 5th wheel next weekend.
Thanks to all of you on the forum, I have learned many things on how to better do some RVing. In a couple years we will retire and looking forward to going to the gathering in Indiana.
Later.
dlewand53 is offline   Reply With Quote