Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2019, 05:53 AM   #1

DIY Replacing electric jacks with 6 point hydraulic

I have a 8288WS Rockwood Signature 5th wheeler that I would like to fit Hydraulic legs to. Has anyone had experience in DIY fitting of these and what system would be preffered? I am a transport(truck) engineer so I believe I would have the ability
sanmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmarco View Post
I have a 8288WS Rockwood Signature 5th wheeler that I would like to fit Hydraulic legs to. Has anyone had experience in DIY fitting of these and what system would be preffered? I am a transport(truck) engineer so I believe I would have the ability
You better first make sure the frame can handle them , most frames can't because of the twisting. You can beef the frame up, then look into a 6 pt by lippert.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:17 AM   #3

Also, I had that done on a 8289ws Rockwood by the factory. My 5er was 32' . Lippert would not install a 6 point only 4 point. There reasoning was anything under 33' would cause the center and rear jacks to fight because of the distance between jacks, now I will say the 4 pt, worked great. And I would never own another TT, 5er, or M/H without them again, I guess you become spoiled.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:24 AM   #4

Thank you for the early replies. I think you have answered my suspicions as I was thinking that the 4 point electric supports the rig OK without any unduly twisting. So 4 point hydraulic will be the way to go. Is Lippert the best option?
Old 03-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Thank you for the early replies. I think you have answered my suspicions as I was thinking that the 4 point electric supports the rig OK without any unduly twisting. So 4 point hydraulic will be the way to go. Is Lippert the best option?
Yes, I think so

Old 03-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
I would think the electric version would be much easier than the hydraulic. Kiki
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows4 View Post
I would think the electric version would be much easier than the hydraulic. Kiki
Which one would be more reliable/trouble free once installed?

Our frame already has the mounting pads for them so I wold assume I don't have to beef up the frame.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Which one would be more reliable/trouble free once installed?

Our frame already has the mounting pads for them so I wold assume I don't have to beef up the frame.
I would also assume that, and maybe just set up for electric, electric do not make a frame twist and turn as much as hydraulics. When they put mine in they welded 2 cross beams in and then added 6×6 gussets in. After a year they took them out and added 12 x12 gussets in, then I was good. Lippert did so much welding on my frame, that after they said they would never add that to that model again.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #9

I don't see the posters point here about frame twisting more with hydraulic. Both systems are pushing and pulling until level. How would hydraulic put any more stress than electric.

Also, the OP said he was "replacing" electric with hydraulic. Were it me, I would not do that. Hydraulic, while faster, also is more complicated and prone to leaks. I have 6-point electric, and am totally satisfied. What is the compelling reason to go hydraulic?
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #10
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Last year at a camping rally I was attending in Albuquerque one of my friends was having trouble with his auto 6-point leveling system.

Every time he tried to level his 42-foot 5'ver...his slides would come out.

Had to have a mobile tech come out to fix it.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
I don't see the posters point here about frame twisting more with hydraulic. Both systems are pushing and pulling until level. How would hydraulic put any more stress than electric.

Also, the OP said he was "replacing" electric with hydraulic. Were it me, I would not do that. Hydraulic, while faster, also is more complicated and prone to leaks. I have 6-point electric, and am totally satisfied. What is the compelling reason to go hydraulic?
Because hydraulics are a lot faster then the slow electric.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #12

Also you can call lippert, they will tell you the something, there's a big big, big difference between the 2 systems, INSTALLER beware.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #13

wow this is an interesting mod! i never even thought it would be possible! good for you. i cant wait to see how it turns out!
Old 03-12-2019, 06:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Last year at a camping rally I was attending in Albuquerque one of my friends was having trouble with his auto 6-point leveling system.

Every time he tried to level his 42-foot 5'ver...his slides would come out.

Had to have a mobile tech come out to fix it.
Hydraulic from the factory ~ same fluid so that is extremely rare but possible.

Due to a fluid leak on a prior 5er I'll only have the slower but much less complicated electric system. I've had the 4 point on a Cougar and now the 6 point on the Montana HC. Only way to go IMO and if anything goes wrong easier and less expensive to repair.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Hi , I'm new here but I'd be glad to chime in. We bought a 2015 29rls Chaparral last spring. And after much reading , I decided to install a Lippert 3.0 since it was one of several priorities I felt the rig needed.
It took me about two weeks to finish it ,and I am so glad I did it. I installed everything I could out in the street in front of our house first. The only thing that wasn't in the kit was a bracket for the touch screen pad that would put it exactly where I wanted it, so I made one.
I only had to drop a few belly pans to install the rear sensor, and I attached the wire harnesses for the rear jacks along side the propane line using the hangers already in place.
Once every thing was as far as I could go, I removed the existing front electric jacks while it was attached to the 5th wheel hitch. The only snag I ran into was that one front jack was VERY snug,and didn't want to fit in the welded frame brackets. I cut a 2x4 to length, and used a small hyd jack horizontally to push the square housing fully into place .
I went to a parking lot and set the "zero" calibration per instructions.
From then on , our summer camping trips were truly 'one touch auto level' with no problems. I'd guess we used the system 20 times at least..I recommend it. thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3368.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	198645  
imzz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:46 AM   #16

I believe that hydraulic would give more minute and precise adjustment over electric. I am also replacing the scissor jack at the rear. I find that the existing electric jacks struggle even assisted with high amperage boost from the truck and I do not think they will last much longer

Also, the OP said he was "replacing" electric with hydraulic. Were it me, I would not do that. Hydraulic, while faster, also is more complicated and prone to leaks. I have 6-point electric, and am totally satisfied. What is the compelling reason to go hydraulic?[/QUOTE]
Old 03-13-2019, 01:59 AM   #17

I might be wrong, but I think the OP, ment he is replacing the electric legs and the electric stabilizer in the rear, not the 3.0 system. And your correct about electric verse hydraulic system. If he has the room he would be better off with the Hydraulic . But that is just me, I have seen both work....

Old 03-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #18

Thanks you have nailed it "Witch Doctor"
Old 03-14-2019, 01:17 AM   #19
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Check into Bigfoot as well, I think they have a better system than Lippert
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post

OP did not say replacing. Read again.
ba964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, hydraulic, jacks