Old 09-01-2016, 06:08 PM   #21
Check with your insurance company. I think most cover liability while your towing, but no coverage on the trailer.

Gary and Donna
2005 Cardinal 33TS-LX
Trail Air pin box
Center Point suspension
2005 F-350 6.0 psd CC SRW
PullRite Super 5th
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #22
INSURANCE==Peace Of Mind!!!!

Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:47 PM   #23
She was very honest and said "well, when its hooked up to your truck, you have liability on it through your car insurance, and since you don't owe anything on it, the only thing extra insurance would cover is if it somehow damaged someone else's property while not connected to your vehicle."

Think about what she said. If your hitch failed while towing and separated from your truck. Your trailer is now not connected and could take out another vehicle.

2014 Coachmen Brookstone 325RL
2015 Chev Silverado 2500 Diesel.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #24
When my camper was totaled by the insurance company for hail, I was happy I had it. They took care of everything. One thing that I was really amazed about is just how much stuff I have in there. I had to unload it all into the house and garage. It took many trips and a lot of space. The house was a mess until the new one arrived. I guess I have acquired a lot of stuff for camping over the years. We have special coverage for all that stuff. I'd hate to have that expense out of pocket too.
2012 Ford F-150 EB 3.73
2015 Forest River 25RR
2004 Honda GL1800
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #25
The coverage on my TT is $23 per year with a $250 deductible. Added to my truck policy with Liberty Mutual in South Carolina. I know rates vary depending on location, but get the insurance. Yes, I did mean per year.
2016 Grey Wolf 24RK
2014 Nissan Titan

“Always do what’s right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest” – Albert Einstein
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:10 PM   #26
I am a firm believer of RV insurance. I had it on all my pop-ups (3) for a whopping $30/year with a $100 deductible, including the pop-up that was deemed a total loss when a branch broke off a tree during an ice storm and impaled the roof of the pop-up, causing extensive black mold and water damage. I've also lost 2 TTs as total losses and again, thank God for insurance. The first TT I paid cash for ($6000) and received a payoff from my insurance company for $10,000 when the TT was stolen. My second TT ended up with mold caused by a leak that was never found. Again, total loss and payoff from insurance. My advice: pay the $144/year and know you are protected if something happens while the camper is *not* being towed. I know of someone who had their TT stolen out of their driveway, it was not insured because it was paid off (the person had not used a tongue lock) and could not replace the TT because they did not have the money. Tough lesson, in my opinion.
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #27
We saw an accident on Interstate 91 yesterday which I hope the family had insurance of some kind, however ~ I'm quite sure they will get a new camper and maybe a truck to boot. The guy had a flat on the trailer, pulled to the side of the highway (no pull offs anywhere around), got his family out of the truck and here came a Walgreen's semi ... you guessed it! Was a glancing blow but there was quite a bit of the campers left rear corner and side missing. Me, yep ~ insured whether at my own home front or on the road, small amount for piece of mind!!
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:33 PM   #28
Depends on your insurance. You may be left high and dry. Talk to your insurance agent.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #29
jammer 16
My good Sam policy will take off the cost of collision anytime you have it parked for a month or more so the cost is cut almost in half. So what if the tt came loose from the tow vehicle and hit someone bet the car insurance would wiggle out of that one since the tt wasn't hooked to the. TV. Just say'n
rlschurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:57 PM   #30
I can assure you if your trailer is registered in Massachusetts your liability is covered by your tow vehicles insurance need a separate policy to cover the trailer for comprehensive, etc.
If not, hold on to your shorts if your involved in an accident and your trailer has to be towed by a recovery mercy at all! Been there, done that!

ronzo101 is offline   Reply With Quote

trailer, travel, travel trailer