Old 08-31-2016, 02:29 PM   #1

Do you insure your travel trailer?

I just bought a 2007 Surveyor 235RS. I paid cash.

My understanding is, if something happens WHILE its connected to my vehicle, my car insurance will take care of it. If something happens any other time, its on me.

Is it worth it to insure it, since I only paid $5k for it?

Old 08-31-2016, 02:32 PM   #2

Ours is added to my Geico Policy.

Marty

Old 08-31-2016, 02:36 PM   #3

It's your choice- do you have $5k to replace it if something DOES happen? On the flipside, if it is insured and something totals it, would you get your $5k back?

What about the contents of the rig?

Insurance is a waste of money if nothing happens, but usually well worth it if it does. It's a gamble either way.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:42 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
My understanding is, if something happens WHILE its connected to my vehicle, my car insurance will take care of it.
I would call and confirm this before counting on it. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this is true for the liability side but not for Comp/Collision.

Quote:
The answer to this is more about your personal situation. In the unlikely but possible event of a total loss, could you easily replace it? The harder it would be for you to absorb that loss, the higher the argument for insuring it is.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
I just bought a 2007 Surveyor 235RS. I paid cash.

My understanding is, if something happens WHILE its connected to my vehicle, my car insurance will take care of it. If something happens any other time, its on me.

I would also confirm this with your particular insurance company, as they all have their own exclusions....and what happens if it becomes detached from your tow vehicle.

http://www.carinsurance.com/insurance-for-trailer.aspx

Hypochondria is the only illness I don't have.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:57 PM   #6

if the value is only $5,000. then the premium shouldn't be very much,.... plus another thing to think about is the liability of the trailer, suppose you forgot to close/lock an outside storage compartment, the door comes open and something falls out, bounces on the pavement and hits another vehicle,... that liability may not be covered by your auto policy if you didn't have a tt policy,... many questions that should be answered by your insurance company, they will know, we are all just guessing,..........

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
Site Team

Based on my experience, insurance premiums for TT are not very high. I believe ours is under $100 a year. So it would take quite a long time to get anywhere close to $5K. Plus you have to think about the value of all the "stuff" in your trailer that you may have to replace.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:36 PM   #8

I called Geico, whom I have my homeowners and auto through.

They said it would be $12 a month. I told the lady I'd have to think about it, because the trailer only cost $5k, I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend $150 a year on it when I'd still have a $500 deductible.

She was very honest and said "well, when its hooked up to your truck, you have liability on it through your car insurance, and since you don't owe anything on it, the only thing extra insurance would cover is if it somehow damaged someone else's property while not connected to your vehicle."
Old 08-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #9

The comprehensive coverage should cover a loss from fire, you or someone else hitting the trailer while on the road or stored, and damage caused by things like fallen trees.

I chose to insure because I travel a lot of miles each year and the insurance costs only 3 percent of the replacement value per year.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #10

Hi,

Not to worry.

Trees never fall in campgrounds. Propane systems never fail and catch fire. Flash floods never run through campgrounds while owners are away. And so on...

Or, maybe peace of mind is worth $144 a year.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

richp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer