Old 08-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #1

Does your 5th wheel hitch make noise?

I have lots of experience with bumper pulls and know about all the creaking and noise you get from the hitches. Even my last bumper pull with a Propride made noises. Since this is my first 5er was just wondering the noise level you are experiencing if any. I have a Reese Revolution pin box with a 16k Reese Pro hitch. Some noise mostly on turns but wondering if it's normal.
I can't hear it with the windows closed only when open. I use lithium grease because Reese says not to use a teflon pad with the Revolution/Sidewinder because it will not hook up properly. I usually add grease every time I tow especially on both sides of the wedge. I also wipe off the old grease on the flat surfaces and reapply every few trips too. I just wanted assurance that I wasn't experiencing noise that no one else had. Chucking has not really been a problem so that's not the noise I was referring to.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #2

I use WD-40 Silicone on the moving parts of my hitch head and lube pad between it and the king pin plate.

Yes there is some noise especially if I am moving slow and turning into or out of a site.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #3

We have the exact same Reese Rev pin box and 16 K hitch on our Rockwood 5. We are now on our 3rd pin box. the first one squeaked and creaked but made a definite loud clunk when turning sharp at low speeds. The dealer replaced it with another that was not painted properly and started rusting within 2 weeks outside. This one was replaced and we were told it was apparently defective as well. Check forum member B n B's remarks about these hitches having issues and Reese replacing them at the Goshen rally. you could PM him for info
I would have your s checked as there appears to be issues
2015 Rockwood 8285IKWS Diamond
Jokes about German sausage are the wurst
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #4

Forest River Forums - View Profile: B and B
2015 Rockwood 8285IKWS Diamond
Jokes about German sausage are the wurst
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #5

I don't know anything about your Reese hitch, but if it provides side to side leveling check to make sure the pinion bolt holding the rocker arm in place is tight enough. It should be so tight that it takes all your strength to move it.
Center Point suspension
2005 F-350 6.0 psd CC SRW
PullRite Super 5th
Telstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Yes. My revolution hitch creaks and moans too.😬
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

First, is it locked for use like a regular 5th wheel or are you using the universal wedge to activate the pivot back 22" from the pin? IF you are using the universal factory wedge, get one that is special made for your hitch. DO NOT lube the rear pivot shaft. When you are turned as far as you can, spray the flat surfaces with lithium grease, turn maximum the other way and spray some more. Mine made some noise until the two guys from Reese that actually designed it pulled mine apart, cleaned it and lubed the flat plates. They stated very emphatically DO NOT LUBE THE PIVOT TUBE. I can't turn mine by hand, but some folks can, I don't want it to turn easy as it would be a major PITA if you are hitching at an angle or slightly off center. ALSO, if you are activating the rear pivot, DO NOT USE a Teflon plate on the hitch.
BTW, mine hasn't made a sound since the guys in Goshen cleaned and lubed it.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #8

Yes, I am using the universal factory wedge. No teflon plate and lube only the flat surface of the hitch and the flat part of the pin box. They told me to lube the pin itself and the sides of the wedge. That's all the lube I have used. Do you have the Reese Pro 16K? If so what wedge do you use?
Old 08-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #9

im using a Reese 16k slider and have just the lube plate on the trailer.

I've jsut started hauling a 5th wheel and cant see anywhere in my manual that says what to lube before hauling or for maintenance.

as well do i lube the pin on the box?

I get a lot of snapping and strange noises back there as well
Attached Images

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #10

With a Revolution hitch, doesn't the rotation occur in the pin box, not at the king pin? If that's the case, the skid plate and king pin shouldn't require much lube at all since that's not where the movement is. I use a superglide hitch. I put a little WD40 on it and the king pin just to prevent rust. There's no pivoting action there at all. My hitch makes noises, but not from the skid plate or king pin.

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel