Old 05-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #11

Awning

WE HAVE THE POWER AWNING AND LOVE IT. THE IDEA WITH THE ROPE SEEMS LIKE A GREAT IDEA.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #12

Power Awning

The rope is a good idea; however make sure you shut off the automatic wind sensor. If it gets windy and it's tied down you may damage the awning whenit tries to close.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
Pulling For Fun

We camped last weekend and it rained hard (no pooling) and also had some higher winds.
I ended up retracting it. But, before that it had realeased pressure on its own a couple times due to wind. After using a manual and now having an electric, I am happy to have the electric. Trade-offs in everything.

2007 Dodge Ram Laramie 1500 4X4 Quad Cab Hemi 3:92
Superchips Programmer/Dynomax Exh/drilled airbox + K&N
Equalizer Sway Control/Backflip Tonneau, 20" American Racing Mags

Hellwig Pro Series Springs/Ultra Fab 3502 Elect. Tongue Jack
Tandem Honda EU2000i Generators

2008 829FKSS
Dodge Magnum Hemi/72 Chevy Nova 454
lorencherylp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
The rope is a good idea; however make sure you shut off the automatic wind sensor. If it gets windy and it's tied down you may damage the awning whenit tries to close.
Good point thanks. This is good info.

If this idea flies, I will replace string with hooks and adjustable strap. I will drill holes in the awning brackets for the hooks and make sure it does not interfer with the folding of the awning.

Thanks again...
Walt
Old 05-09-2008, 07:46 AM   #15

I didn't know that the unit has a wind sensor...have to check, but I really don't think mine does.

Also, regarding the pressure relief....it never happened for me. We had 24 hours of really good rain. During the day, being stuck inside, and under the awning, I had to dump it. At night, I just rolled it back up -- the electric part of that is nice.

What I was thinking of doing was adding one of the center braces and adding a little bit of camber to it -- use a bit of wood or something. I think that would definitely help some.

But, it was funny when I went to put my de-flappers on...then realized I can't use them.

So, in the end, the verdict is still out. There are some plusses and minuses for having the Power. I think in FL though, I'd rather go back to the old fashion manual ones. More control of the situation, tie downs, angles for the rain, etc.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #16

Our new Salem LA 312QBBS came with a Dometic electric awning. We have been out two weekends and we hate it. Water pools terribly. The one time we thought we would see what it did and it filled so full that I could not retract is because it was to heavy for the motor. Had to get something to puch up on it to empty. The rug gets soaked and we never have an awning to sit under when it rains. Which we really like to do if it is coming straight down with no chance of us getting wet. From what I can tell is that ours is a very low end awning with no extra features. I would think that one with a dump feature would be fine. We have talked about trying something similar to what another poster did with a tie down. May even see how much it will be to switch to a manual awning.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #17

Well, i will let ya it goes this weekend for us. It is suppose to rain.
2008 Wildwood 312bhbs LA
vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #18

Well, after a very wet week, I DO NOT LIKE THE POWER AWNING. As others have said, you have roll the darn thing up or it pools.

Sitting out under it (when the sun is out) and looking at it, there has to be a way to fix it to allow it to be extended when it rains. I think what I am going to try is something similar to what keeps the tents up. I am going to use the flexible poles/sticks and put a slot on one end to go into the awning roller and put a suction cup type device on the other end that will go against the camper. Then, bow the whole thing up.

Only other option I can think of is going back to the original Manual awning...I was so looking forward to the electric but the clearance from the top of the door to the awning is just so small that there is NO slope...at least on my rig.

Bummer...
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #19
Site Team

It would be helpful to folks and might get you more specific advice
if you can tell us the brand name of your awning.
Is it Dometic or something else??
Old 07-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #20

Oh, sorry, I have the Dometic (A&E) awning...or as I think it is actually referred to a "sun shade". It does appear after doing some research on the other forums, specifically the Outbackers (I think there was a link on this thread that I followed), there is a solution... Get one of the middle supports. It appears that one of the owners (of an Outback) went through some pretty intense testing on his own -- lots of pictures and commentary on it.

Apparently after having it installed and going through some pretty serious rain, it did the job.

So, I'll be ordering one myself -- hopefully I will have the same luck, although it might be a little while until I camp again....just got back from Disney where my son broke his wrist -- before we even had power and water hooked up!!!

HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning