Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #1

Emergency window

I wanted to see if any one has heard if any one has had issues with the emergency windows comming open. About 6 months ago I had one blow out. Lost the entire window and frame. I ordered a new one and forest river or the dealer got it warranteed and mailed it to me. I actually blamed my sisters kids that stayed in on unlatching it. This weekend had some extended family with us and had my daughter double ck the latch when we left and she said there work locked in or closed. We had a 45 mile trip and the last 8 miles had some one honking at us saying we had a window flapping. sure enough it did but no damage except for one rivet. Just before that happed we had a very strong cross wind and wander if that jared it loose. My dealer closed but have other locations but no contact to get a good answer from them. Any one have any issues or heard if forest river has a fix. If not I will make something but need to keep in mind it is an emergency window.
donawilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

On my checklist before moving the trailer I make sure the emergency window is properly latched. I don't think a child is capable of properly latching the window.

You can buy velcro bands for bundling computer cables, one of those wrapped around the latch handle may keep it latched a little better. Take the band off when you set up.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Site Team

I've never heard of any recurring issues with them coming open while latched. Unless yours is built differently than mine, it would be pretty hard for it to jar open when latched. Heck, it's hard to open on purpose! . Radio's cable straps would be a good idea though and wouldn't impair operation in an emergency.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #4

FYI

On another forum I have four responses that this has happed to them and they had checked the latches before leaving. have got a lot of good ideas from rubber bands to drilling a hole and putting a pin in.

Also Radio. My daughter is very capable of latching this window and checking it out. I would not of had her double check the latch if i thought different. i teach them well sorry your kids are not this capable but mine our. If my four year old was in the RVat the time I would have had him check. He has been show how to lock these windows and he could of done it but was my 10 year old daughter. My kids can fully set up from dropping landing gear to putting down the rear stablizing jacks. My four year old job it to get the wheel chock and put them in place. I do not let my kids just take off and do nothing this is a family RV and we all do our part.
donawilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Cyber Phrenologist

My most sincere appologies to the entire Wilcox family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donawilcox View Post
FYI

Also Radio. My daughter is very capable of latching this window and checking it out. I would not of had her double check the latch if i thought different. i teach them well sorry your kids are not this capable but mine our. If my four year old was in the RVat the time I would have had him check. He has been show how to lock these windows and he could of done it but was my 10 year old daughter. My kids can fully set up from dropping landing gear to putting down the rear stablizing jacks. My four year old job it to get the wheel chock and put them in place. I do not let my kids just take off and do nothing this is a family RV and we all do our part.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:07 AM   #6

Don, we "lost" the emergency window in the bedroom (05 Silverback) this spring on our way home from Texas. Because we ordered a replacement from the factory and did it ourselves, we believe that over time the hinge wears and even though its locked from the inside- air pressure when traveling pulls it out. There are only 2 small screws holding the window to the lip of the frame. (The factory price was a lot less than ordering from a dealer.) We really looked like "trailer trash" with the cardboard and duck taped window!
clsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #7
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsilver View Post
Don, we "lost" the emergency window in the bedroom (05 Silverback) this spring on our way home from Texas. Because we ordered a replacement from the factory and did it ourselves, we believe that over time the hinge wears and even though its locked from the inside- air pressure when traveling pulls it out. There are only 2 small screws holding the window to the lip of the frame. (The factory price was a lot less than ordering from a dealer.) We really looked like "trailer trash" with the cardboard and duck taped window!
I know this was long time ago, but how did you determine the part, and/or part number to order?
GregoryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:31 PM   #8

One of ours blew out of our Wildcat fifth wheel several years ago. We found a replacement on ebay. We thought it just hadn't been latched well, but about a month later, we were heading down the interstate highway and DH happened to notice the upper window billowing in and out. I know for a fact that it had been latched before we left - about 30 minutes earlier. We started putting duct tape on them before leaving the campground and removing when we parked.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:07 PM   #9
Retired Old Fart

I know I had problems with one back around 2003'ish. The problem was we opened it to see how it worked and when latched back, it did not fully seal. The rubber gasket was stiff and it had probably never been opened in "emergency mode" before. The window part worked and was used all the time. I'm talking about the exit part which on mine opened the entire frame of the window. Fortunately I was inside the trailer right afterwards when it started to rain. Had to tape up the window to prevent leakage until I could obtain a replacement gasket.

So if you don't need to, I would not "test" it by opening. If you do or already have, check for water intrusion the next time it rains or hit it with spray from a hose.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:19 AM   #10

I would sure hope not to ever have to use the emergency window as it’s a good ways down to the ground. I could get hurt coming out that window
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:37 AM   #11

I had one on my old TT that came open twice on me during trips when I know it was latched. I believe it has something to do with the fitting. As mentioned, sometimes it's a bear to get them latched or unlatched they are so tight. Those windows never gave me a problem. This window was comparatively easy to open and close/latch.

I ended up getting some very small bungee cords and wrapping it around the arm it latched into and the flat push bar attached to the window. Basically to keep the push bar from coming loose of the latch. Only used it on that one window. Neither of the other two in the bunk area ever gave me a bit of problems.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:31 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryL View Post
I know this was long time ago, but how did you determine the part, and/or part number to order?
the last time this member posted, was almost 9 years ago. so i doubt that they will respond.
you might try sending them a PM.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel