Old 12-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #1

Question Extended Warranty Wrinkle

I know the pros and cons of extended warranties and service contracts has been discussed frequently, but I have what seems to be a new wrinkle in the deal. I'm picking up a new Flagstaff 21FBRS in two weeks; which comes with a free "RV Warranty Forever" service contract that covers just about all the systems for as long as you own the RV. In looking at the Forest River form used to purchase a second year warranty extension I noticed that for $150 you really don't get a warranty extension, but what appears to be the same service agreement I'm getting for free. In other words, it is not a bumper to bumper warranty that covers everything but a few exceptions, but only specific systems listed; which does NOT include the roof or sidewall structures.

With all that, it seems like even the Forest River contract for $150 is now a waste of money. Am I missing something????

Old 12-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Site Team

IIRC, the RV Warranty Forever contract requires an annual list of certain maintenance things that have to be done in order for the warranty to stay in effect. The kicker is, that these maintenance items cannot be performed by the customer, and have to be done by a dealer in the program for RV Warranty Forever and documentation mailed to RV Warranty Forever.. The customer has to pay for these annual maintenance checks, but I don't know at what cost.

Maybe someone with actual experience will chime in.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #3

Yep, and that the required maintenance work be done by the dealer is why the contract is "free". My greatest concern, like most others, is with roof and sidewall de-lamination/rot problems from leaks and the extremely high cost to repair them. Good point; may not be worth the cost for a dealer to "service" the fridge, furnace etc.

Wish there were a product I could purchase that covered roof and sidewall repairs; perhaps with a $500 deductable.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by danking49 View Post
Yep, and that the required maintenance work be done by the dealer is why the contract is "free". My greatest concern, like most others, is with roof and sidewall de-lamination/rot problems from leaks and the extremely high cost to repair them. Good point; may not be worth the cost for a dealer to "service" the fridge, furnace etc.

Wish there were a product I could purchase that covered roof and sidewall repairs; perhaps with a $500 deductable.
Just glancing at their site on what's covered, I see no mention of roof, sidewall, slides or motors, awnings, electric stabilizers (manual only according to the site), ANY tongue jacks, etc. No frame warranty either.

Fact is, it states that the only thing covered exteriorly is very few things:

"EXTERIOR AND EXTERIOR COMPONENTS

Door handles, latches and springs."

Here is a link to what's covered:

NAE

This may not be the deal you are thinking it is:

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #5

I was told that the $150 second year warranty from Forest River covers every thing that the first year warranty covers. I would pay the $150 and consider it very cheep insurance. When my 2nd year was about up, I priced extended warranties/service contract and for what it covered I found it not worth the money. I don't need insurance for things like AC,
Old 12-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
I was told that the $150 second year warranty from Forest River covers every thing that the first year warranty covers. I would pay the $150 and consider it very cheep insurance. When my 2nd year was about up, I priced extended warranties/service contract and for what it covered I found it not worth the money. I don't need insurance for things like AC,
Yep, I was TOLD the same thing; but the application form says otherwise and looks like nothing more than all the other "service contracts" on the market.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #7

My current camper came with a Protective Xtra Ride extended warranty package, transferable to me for $50.

72 month term (6 years). $100.00 deductible. New contracts transfer upon sale for $75.00.
New plans cost $657.00, according to someone I know that just bought one new.

Personally I steer away from extended warranties but did buy the 2nd year FR warranty when I bought my R-pod 5 years ago. Considering the Protective warranty covers just about everything I would have to think hard about that next time I buy a new camper.
Honda EU3000is inverter-generator
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
Site Team

I investigated this when I was planning my purchase, and found almost the same thing. The warranty forever is mostly a sales and marketing ploy. Touted as a value added benefit at purchase time and then a reason to visit the dealer and spend money after purchase, Very similar to the Auto service places that offer free diagnostics or tire rotations. Basically a way to get you to dealer to allow them to find things you can spend money on. The old adage " There are no free lunches" is still a law of physics. Last time I purchased auto tires, they did a "free safety inspection", They found recommended repairs totaling over the amount of the tire purchase.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #9

Just picked up a new 21FBRS. The dealer charges $150 to service a travel trailer in accordance with this "free" warranty. I'm probably going to have them do this service for a couple of years. To me, a dealer looking for problems (work) is a good thing while it's still under warranty; and still a good thing even later as long as you sort out the real problems from the BS ones. My local Toyota dealer gives everyone "free" oil changes for life. You wouldn't believe the absolute BS work they want to do. Sort of taking the shotgun approach on this thing anyway and went ahead and purchased the FR extended warranty anyway.
danking49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:14 PM   #10

We bought new last year. The extended warranty would have cost $1600. For 7yrs. But when I asked,it doesn't cover structural or delamination,which is why I would want the plan. Everything else is minor and stuff I can fix...the $1600 could go a long way. Our previous tt was 6yrs old without any problems.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
warranty