Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2018, 12:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeattie View Post
Your frame is flexing. Grab a creeper, 48" straight edge, flash light and take a close critical look at your frame. Your sidewall is tearing.

What’s a creeper?
Rollingthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:50 AM   #22
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingthunder View Post
What’s a creeper?
One of those rolling things mechanics use to get themselves under vehicles without having to drag their butts and other bits the hard way. Alright if there is enough clearance. I have one but don't use it since I got stuck under the tail shaft.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Your frame is flexing. Grab a creeper, 48" straight edge, flash light and take a close critical look at your frame. Your sidewall is tearing.
X2, wall studs flexing, It will most likely crack all the way to the edge of the slide out frame below.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #24

get it to a shop and get it repaired with a warranty if possible or you risk loosing your investment. put it through insurance if need be.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
One of those rolling things mechanics use to get themselves under vehicles without having to drag their butts and other bits the hard way. Alright if there is enough clearance. I have one but don't use it since I got stuck under the tail shaft.

Yes, one of those. Thanks, didn’t recognize the name.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
get it to a shop and get it repaired with a warranty if possible or you risk loosing your investment. put it through insurance if need be.

Yes I’ll for sure get this repaired professionally. I’m pretty handy with a hammer but I also know my limits and fiberglass is beyond my limit. That’s what the pros are for and hopefully I never see this again. Will post pictures when done and anything the shop was able to determine about the previous repair, if there was one.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:37 PM   #27

I would check with a good sized boat shop. They likely to fiberglass repair frequently. They'll have the technicians and materials to do the repair quickly.

Another place to check to have it done is a surf shop that does surf board building and repair.

These suggestions are from personal experience. Boat and surfboard repair both require attention to strength and appearance.
McCormickJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #28

I’m going with damage repair. Factory or other(dealer)....based on the texture/shine difference. Cracking would not affect that.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I’m going with damage repair. Factory or other(dealer)....based on the texture/shine difference. Cracking would not affect that.

I think you’re right: it was a previous repair (done somewhere upstream of us buying it new. Last summer we did some boondocking near Salt Lake and I wouldn’t be surprised if a few of our off-road maneuvers causes the frame to rack a little and it just cracked at the existing weak point: a poorly done existing repair. It was worth it: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2259.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	159538
Old 01-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingthunder View Post
What’s a creeper?

A personal floor dolly used by mechanics to lay on and facilitate movement while working under a vehicle. A must have tool for all “do it yourselfer” handymen.
tbeattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I would check with the dealer/manufacturer to see if there is design flaws in your model. My Wildcat had a design flaw in the walls that caused it to crack at the slideout openings. They brought it back to the factory and replaced both sides (front to back). New walls, windows, doors with out any cost to us at all. Your fix could of been a quick fix for something more involved. Check it out before putting a bandaid on it.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
I would check with the dealer/manufacturer to see if there is design flaws in your model. My Wildcat had a design flaw in the walls that caused it to crack at the slideout openings. They brought it back to the factory and replaced both sides (front to back). New walls, windows, doors with out any cost to us at all. Your fix could of been a quick fix for something more involved. Check it out before putting a bandaid on it.

That’s a good idea, I will do that. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #33

Quote:

Good luck with that... not likely a dealer would voluntarily disclose the products they sell are defective.

Fiberglass does not tear or crack or otherwise fail unless an external force has been applied exceeding its material properties. Repairing the fiberglass is a cosmetic temporary fix to a bigger structural problem. Unless the real problem is properly diagnosed and remedied your crack will reoccur. This the symptom not the problem and could be the precursor to a potential much bigger failure down the road. A careful examination of your coach frame and chassis is in order. It could also be you exceeded the operating design limits of the chassis and need to avoid travel on rough unimproved roadways.
The latter is worth careful consideration.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:19 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Good luck with that... not likely a dealer would voluntarily disclose the products they sell are defective.

Fiberglass does not tear or crack or otherwise fail unless an external force has been applied exceeding its material properties. Repairing the fiberglass is a cosmetic temporary fix to a bigger structural problem. Unless the real problem is properly diagnosed and remedied your crack will reoccur. This the symptom not the problem and could be the precursor to a potential much bigger failure down the road. A careful examination of your coach frame and chassis is in order. It could also be you exceeded the operating design limits of the chassis and need to avoid travel on rough unimproved roadways.
The latter is worth careful consideration.
When my dealer looked at mine, they knew it was more than they could and sought advice from Forest River. FR knew of a design flaw in this model and manned up to fix it. If you don't ask it'll never happen.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #35

Quote:
When my dealer looked at mine, they knew it was more than they could and sought advice from Forest River. FR knew of a design flaw in this model and manned up to fix it. If you don't ask it'll never happen.

Unexpected, but in this case I loudly applaud FR very glad they owned up.

Tags
crack, exterior, fiberglass