Old 11-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #21

it's all a numbers game. You have to look at the whole picture. If you ask for it, they will give you more than you paid for it, you will just pay full retail on your new purchase. Or take a lower trade and get 30-40% off new unit. The difference is what matters.

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussPastuch View Post
After trading in several trailers, I have come to realize that a trailer is worse than a car, it drops 2/3 of its value as you leave the lot
The word TRADE is where your loss is at. The trailer isn't actually losing that much value it's just that the dealer will make that much on your trade. My biggest loss out of 3 campers in the past 4 years has been $1600 on one I camped in for 2.5 years. Made money on one and broke even on another. The key is to know how to get a good deal, take care of it and sell it yourself.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedo View Post
Don't forget the TIME VALUE OF MONEY when you say hold the old RV to sell in the spring/summer.
Which is almost nothing at the moment. Unless you plan on tying it up long term you'll either be risking it or making .5% if you're lucky.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #24

I am in sales, in Illinois. I have a lot of different opinions on here. We always use FR MSRP sheets in our units. We also have a sale price.. Makes no difference which one you use, typically the MSRP on paper. The difference is what you have to agree on. Pay off of the trade is usually worked in to financing.. As a general rule you will get NADA trade value from sale price. Whoever said this isn't a good time to trade is nuts.. Sales are slow in November and dealers want to make the deal.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #25
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
The time of year certainly influences the value but the new RV dealers low ball the trade value for another reason. With the competitive environment of selling off the MNSR and the ability to travel anywhere in the country to buy, the margins on new are very low. Therefore the dealers try to make more profit on the resale where the MNSR is no longer a gauge. So they lowball the sellers.
We just visited PP& L in Houston. They work on a flat 10% on either side of the used transaction. At least then you know how much you are losing.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #26

Sale prices are advertised & NADA puts values on used units. Trade value from sale price is a fair way to do it. The internet wholesalers, will typically low ball your trade, because they have dropped their pants on the top to get the buyers attention. However there is a lot to be said about buying local & having a relationship with a dealer. Service after the sale is #1. Your local dealer doesn't want to do warranty on the trailer you bought out of state. In most cases a customer is sucked in by the price, but I have fount that if you do a option comparison & figure the cost of travel expenses, Its a wash.