Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #1

Fair trade in value?

Does anyone have a dealer recommendation for a fair trade in value?

We're looking to trade in our 2014 Crusader and have gotten such a wide range on trade in numbers from different dealers.

Has anyone had a really positive experience?

(Yes, I know I can get more if I sell it myself but that's not what I'm asking about.)

2014 Crusader 295rst
2014 F150 Fx4
Old 11-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
Always Learning

The problem with trade in values is that dealers tend to tie it to purchase price. They'll give you a really great value on your trade, but won't get a great deal on the purchase price of the new unit. And vice versa (not much for your trade, but an awesome deal on the purchase).
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #3

You're not going to get a positive experience trading this time of year in Michigan or anywhere else that has winter. The numbers they are giving you are fair, to them. If your'e getting a really good price on a new unit, your trade in number will be directly proportional to that. If you get a great trade amount, its going to be made up in the price of the new unit. I assume you are trading and the dealer is paying off the note. If you get enough on trade to do that you're doing good. I would bet they are offering about 20K on your 2014? I am in the same position right now. There is no free lunch. Its the nature of RV's. You're always going to lose your you know what trading and paying off a loan. You might as well just accept it as it comes with the territory.

No one gives enough credit to what a dealer must put out to keep a traded in around until April or May and then sell it. Its a lot more than most people think. As far as selling yourself its not easy either this time of year....it's a buyers market and good luck finding one of those 2 months before Christmas for something they can't use for 5 or 6 months.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #4

Most will give you is about 80% of low retail for trade in.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
Most will give you is about 80% of low retail for trade in.
Not in November in Michigan, take the low retail and subtract about 30%. If you do get 20% below low retail take it and run.......I would.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #6

Mr. H is right on here. Trade diff won't change much and that's the number to watch. As your trade value goes up so will the price on the new one.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Not in November in Michigan, take the low retail and subtract about 30%. If you do get 20% below low retail take it and run.......I would.
That's probably about right for the number, but no way I'd take it and run. I'd buy my new one while it's off-season and hold on to my used on til Spring and come out thousands ahead selling it myself. But, the OP doesn't seem to want to do that- so your advice stands.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
That's probably about right for the number, but no way I'd take it and run. I'd buy my new one while it's off-season and hold on to my used on til Spring and come out thousands ahead selling it myself. But, the OP doesn't seem to want to do that- so your advice stands.
The OP probably has a payment to deal with and believe me, its not easy selling a camper in the North. Especially in November, two months before Christmas.

It doesn't always work holding on. I know what I can get out of my 2013 in April or May and I can afford to hold onto it until then, but you need to run the numbers for what it costs to hold on to it for 5 or 6 months.

I will have paid the full sales tax on the new one instead of on the difference. Thats @ $600
I will have made 5 or 6 more payments, call that $1600
I will have paid the insurance for another 5 or 6 months, call that $125
I will be taking the chance that the book numbers get revalued again and that is usually a $700 hit.

Sitting on it for 5 or 6 months will cost $3025. I would be better off to trade when the new comes in in December, as I am never getting enough in spring to offset that.

I am just taking a shot in the dark by listing it since I have a few weeks, and hoping to get lucky. I might recover something but I 'm also incurring listing fees.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #9

I never ever worried about or settled on a trade in value. I always deal from a trade differernce figure. I say I don't care if "on paper" they lower the asking price or give me an inflated trade value ... I'll trade for "x" dollars. Once you settle on or answer what you want out of your unit ... you're stuck with that figure and severly lessen your negotiation ability. You'll find the mystical "retail price" for the very same unit varies widely from dealer to dealer right off the bat.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksilvi View Post
Does anyone have a dealer recommendation for a fair trade in value?

We're looking to trade in our 2014 Crusader and have gotten such a wide range on trade in numbers from different dealers.

Has anyone had a really positive experience?

(Yes, I know I can get more if I sell it myself but that's not what I'm asking about.)

2014 Crusader 295rst
2014 F150 Fx4
When ever you 'trade-in', you are trading in against the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP). Check around for the 'cash, no trade' prices. Those prices can vary quiet a bit, 1,000s of dollars, depending on what you're looking at. After all, RV dealers/salesmen, are just another form of car dealers/salesmen.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:17 PM   #11

We took a low ball trade, but the bottom line with the same model was the lowest. Best is to sell on your own.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
The OP probably has a payment to deal with and believe me, its not easy selling a camper in the North. Especially in November, two months before Christmas.

It doesn't always work holding on. I know what I can get out of my 2013 in April or May and I can afford to hold onto it until then, but you need to run the numbers for what it costs to hold on to it for 5 or 6 months.

I will have paid the full sales tax on the new one instead of on the difference. Thats @ $600
I will have made 5 or 6 more payments, call that $1600
I will have paid the insurance for another 5 or 6 months, call that $125
I will be taking the chance that the book numbers get revalued again and that is usually a $700 hit.

Sitting on it for 5 or 6 months will cost $3025. I would be better off to trade when the new comes in in December, as I am never getting enough in spring to offset that.

I am just taking a shot in the dark by listing it since I have a few weeks, and hoping to get lucky. I might recover something but I 'm also incurring listing fees.

Only discrepancy I have is on the 6 mos. of payments. I'd figure that at $1200 but say maybe $900 of that would be going to principal. Therefore only a $300 loss rather than a $1600. Of course this could vary wildly depending upon interest rate, term length, original finance amount and how long payments had been made for. But to calculate then entire payment amount as a loss is an error. Now you're at $1700 instead of $3025. And considering I can easily save $3-$5K going with RVWholesalers over my local dealer and I can then easily get another $3K out of my camper over trading it becomes a no-brainer. I don't know of anywhere else I can make $6K+ spending a day cleaning, taking pictures and posting an ad. Sure I might have to answer a few calls and deal with some idiots with nothing better to do than try to scam me, but it's still a good deal. I understand that things work differently up North, but trading really is a convenience thing- it's almost never the cheapest route. But, once again, the OP seems dead-set on trading so we're arguing a moot point here.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #13

RVs, 'Recreational' Vehicles, we do them because we like them, boats, snow mobiles, jet skis, titanium bicycles, etc, places to put our hard earned cash, for little monetary return, but hopefully, a ton of R&R!!!
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
But, once again, the OP seems dead-set on trading so we're arguing a moot point here.
Not only that, the OP has abandoned the thread in lieu of a new one:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ers-95840.html
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I never ever worried about or settled on a trade in value. I always deal from a trade differernce figure. I say I don't care if "on paper" they lower the asking price or give me an inflated trade value ... I'll trade for "x" dollars. Once you settle on or answer what you want out of your unit ... you're stuck with that figure and severly lessen your negotiation ability. You'll find the mystical "retail price" for the very same unit varies widely from dealer to dealer right off the bat.
X2. I research the value of my trade-in and the selling price of the unit I want to buy. I don't care how they jerry-rig the numbers, I know what my bottom line is.
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Mr. H is right on here. Trade diff won't change much and that's the number to watch. As your trade value goes up so will the price on the new one.
Right, difference is the only number that matters and then you need to compare like kind. Hard to do with RV's. Would help if there were more dealers with the same model.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by biznsa View Post
X2. I research the value of my trade-in and the selling price of the unit I want to buy. I don't care how they jerry-rig the numbers, I know what my bottom line is.
x2 on both posts.
I started looking at a new TT and got a big shock about the low ball price offer for my trade. The first dealership said that they couldn't offer full amount since the new TT was heavily discounted already.

The second dealership trade in estimate was double what the other dealership gave. This amount was more in line with what I was expecting on the low side.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #18

Mr. H has the right idea... always do the math and see just what you're getting... deal wise...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #19

Don't forget the TIME VALUE OF MONEY when you say hold the old RV to sell in the spring/summer.
tuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #20

After trading in several trailers, I have come to realize that a trailer is worse than a car, it drops 2/3 of its value as you leave the lot
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote