Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #1

Question Fiberglass Cap

I'm looking to by a new TT and am looking at ones with & without front fiberglass cap. Should this be a priority to have? Is it worth it? Should I not give other TT's without one a chance?
myezlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #2

seems a lot of the fibber glass caps go back to the paint booth very early in life . see no real advantage to having one or not .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Just keep it waxed....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #4

Wax won't fix sloppy and poor paint and clear from oxidizing . that's one reason so many head back in for repaint before warranties are up
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Whatever!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #6

Previously I had a Holiday Rambler with an ABS front cap. It cracked due to the stress of expansion/contraction and became an expensive endeavor.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #7

It seems (either right or wrong) that most higher end TTs being sold today are installed with them. I'm not one to just believe that because they put them on that they are an improvement. Sometimes they are gimmicks or are used to make one perceive that it is superior. I don't want to rule out a TT just because it doesn't have a cap unless it is truly superior/an upgrade. That is why I opened this thread to get forum members with true experience to chime in. Thanks to all who have responded.
myezlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #8

Think RESALE. Many caps do oxidize and fade. It is NOT DUE TO NOT WAXING. It is due to poor foundation prep and paint. My 2015 Silverback 33rl fifth wheel came with mocha cap. Fade within 12 months. Professionally redone. 4 months later fade. I was at factory for other reasons. They offered choice of another moca cap OR oyster 2016 color. Matched my 2015 perfectly. I had the lighter cap installed.
Stay on the forums of both FR and Keystone with similar units you are considering. See what issues OR resolutions there are. Make an INFORMED CHOICE. If the resale market is for more streamlined looking units with fiberglass caps, bet you win at point if trade, all conditions equal. Caps are eye candy. Do what makes you feel good after you do your homework!
Focus your attention on hitches and tires. You will be ahead of the game!!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #9

If you like the floorplan and it works for you, I would not worry about the front cap.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass