Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #1

Fifth Wheel as home

Which model you you suggest as an only home? There are two of us, so we do not need additional beds. I am looking the most usable living space.
Richard Venneman
rvenneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #2

My uncle is a single guy and lives in a 5th wheel. It's really big too!

I don't know what type it is off hand, let me talk with him, and I'll get back with you.

Merry Christmas!!!
Zhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Lots of folks "full time" there are serveral web sites dedicated to this part of the RV lifestyle. There are a few pit falls so "Look before you leap" is my only advice.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvenneman View Post
Which model you you suggest as an only home? There are two of us, so we do not need additional beds. I am looking the most usable living space.
Richard Venneman
The most usable living space is the one YOU and your spouse like. Go shopping and pick the style of floor plan you line the best. Then go looking for brands that offer that floor plan.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
mia
Mia

Hi Richard, I have a 2009 Cedar Creek RD5S. I live in it from April to Oct. I love it, as it has room to move. I think of it as a one bedroom apartment. It is very comfortable. You should go and take a look at many before you decide. It took me a year to find the model with all my requirements Some of them were 2 doors, big windows, full height, private bedroom,separate bathroom, and on and on. Make a list and start looking. You will find one close to your requirements. Good luck.. Mia
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #6

Our last RV was a 40 pusher and we full-timed for several years in it. We now have a Cardinal 30TS and use it 4-6 months a year. We have more living, less storage than we had in the MH. We do work real hard at taking only what we need. If we do not use something over a period of time we get rid of it. So what size you need depends on what you want to take along. But from our experience yes you can live full time in a fiver.
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #7

You probably want the bedroom slide, as that would give you the "walk-in" closet across the full width of the camper. And one with both kitchen slideout and the 'super-slide' (couch and dining suite), provides both needed counter space and living area.
Something in the 30-foot area would be a good compromise of space and maneuverability, but be prepared for a bit of weight.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #8
Villa Estate 392FLFB

make sure to get a winter package and dual pane windows!!
Old 12-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #9

The camper above all have good points to look for. I would think you will be looking in the 30-35' ranges, but I would also keep in mine your TV. What it can handle.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #10

as I am someone with back and neck issues I would only suggest that if I had it to do again I would choose MH. Last week in our trip to Disney I found out just how many things you can break when you fall from the top step of the 5th wheel. After 8 days my wife was limping from going up the stairs into the trailer and the add'l steps on the inside for the bathroom and bedroom. As far as thrmopane windows, I do not have them and with the temps running upper 30's here last week, my elec. fireplace kept us warm all day, with the furnace only coming on at night. Our's is 39' with three slides, king bed and has ample room for the two of us and our 2 dogs. we do find storage to be limited.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #11

a large frig would be nice. my nephew has a motor home, that he lives in, and it had a french door firg and a full size bathtub. i haven't seen one in a travel trailer but haven't looked in 5 yrs.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
as I am someone with back and neck issues I would only suggest that if I had it to do again I would choose MH. Last week in our trip to Disney I found out just how many things you can break when you fall from the top step of the 5th wheel. After 8 days my wife was limping from going up the stairs into the trailer and the add'l steps on the inside for the bathroom and bedroom.
yup i can vouch for that! i love how i have 5 total steps to get from ground to the TT sliding doors. I have a set of steps i got off a guy for free and they are MUCH more stable then the TT's built in 3 step contraptions.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #13

For us the 36re fits our needs. We ordered the king bed, washer/dryer, There is plenty of counter space and electrical outlets. The space and storage is awesome. We plan to be fultimers soon. Good luck on your choice..
bartiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #14

I have been living full time in my 36' Cedar Creek RLTS for 3 years now and I love it. With three slides there is ample room. I love my floor plan, but after living with it for a while there are a couple of things I would want to change. The TV is in the slide out and therefore cannot be seen when working in the kitchen. I would much prefer deeper windows to be able to see more outside when sitting in the RV. Mine had the sofa in the slide next to the dining table and the two recliners on the rear wall. That made sitting in the recliner and watching TV awkward as you were always angled and there was no room next to the sofa for putting down a drink or remote, etc. I switched them. Lots more room now.

One other thing of note. My W/D is in a separate cabinet next to the toilet. The floor under it is tiled and when I accidentally let water drain out of the filter when changing it, the water all stayed in the bathroom and did not soak the bedroom carpet. Be very wary of the units that have the laundry in the closet. One mishap and you will have a terrible mess in your carpet. Plus you lose a lot of valuable closet space. Make sure the closet design has plenty of room for FULL length clothes. In most RV's one or two suits and dresses and you have run out of hanging room.

Also, get the ceiling fan and dual airs. Definitely will need them and use them a lot. Good luck with your choice and hope you have a grand time full timing.
Campingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel