Old 08-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Fifth Wheel Emergency Towing

Still trying to decide whether to go with a trailer or fifth wheel. One argument is that if your tow vehicle breaks down, a trailer will be easier for any vehicle (given it has the capacity) to tow the trailer to a nearby campground. Yet, a fifth wheel would require a truck.

Any comments would be appreciated. I would LOVE a fifth wheel, while my DH isn't convinced...yet!

Thanks for your help.

Ralph & Adrienne

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
To be honest, I wouldn't base my decision on what happens when I break down. Emergency Roadside Service isn't that expensive and they can handle a bumper pull, fifth wheel, or Motorhome.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
I also think your decision would be based less on what can happen if broken down and more on what floor plan best fits your family's situation.

Have fun in your search.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
I've owned both, and currently have a travel trailer. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. A lot of people can't hook a travel trailer without help from a spotter. A 5th wheel is easily hooked by one person. No equalizer hitch, or sway bars on a 5th wheel, but you loose most of the truck bed due to the 5th wheel hitch being there. Most 5th wheels require a 3/4 ton truck, or larger. Some say 5th wheels won't sway, but they are wrong.Most 5th wheels are higher, so crosswinds can be harder to handle. You may also have to watch for low bridge that you may go under. They are also higher of the ground, more steps to go up to get in, and steps inside to climb also. The bedroom in a 5th is generally warmer, as heat rises, so if you like it cool, requires an extra AC in the bedroom, and 50 amp service to run two AC units.

I'm recommending one over the other. Get what you like, and think will work for you and where you might camp. They all have problems, and require maintenance.Good luck in your decision.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
We based our decision on initial cost (value), floor plan, weight, length, profile, construction, decor, ability to get into/out of forest service CG's and a few other things.
Not once did I think about a breakdown scenario. We've talked about it since. We've decided we'll call for assistance, arrange for towing to the policy issuers choice of location and we'll either call a cab or get a ride to a motel or hotel.
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:24 AM   #6
I have roadside for both. They will tow my trailer to where I want, and my truck to a shop.
cstover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Old Member
Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
With any trailer, regardless of type, insurance will generally get you back home, Insurance companies don't want the added liability of leaving your RV stranded in a strange un-controlled location. Good Sam insurance provides this for us. We used it in 2009 when the TV engine cratered (thanks BP, another story for another time), the tow truck (big tow truck!) showed up & had adapters for his rig to hook up to our 5er & take it to our point of choice. (Don't you know it sure caused a buzz throughout the CG when he arrived, lights just agoing w/ our 5er in tow) We advised the insurance call-center of our 5er and they took it from there, no problem.

With the purchase of our FR Cedar Creek came a year paid subscription to National Motor Club's Coach-Net which provides the same service in addition to trip interruption coverage. http://

Good Sam Travel Assist will get you, family members and your RV returned home in the event of an emergency. Good Sam TravelAssist Good insurance provides the confidence to face the unknowns in travel.

Travel safe & enjoy your journeys!

Mike, Sheila & Toppi our Fur Kid
2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS/MorRyde IS/Kodiak Disc + bells-n-whistles

2013 Ford F350 Lariat/CC/DRW/Aux Fuel/Curt 20K
from Spring, TX , FROG, CCRVC, CCRVOC & Escapees members
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
I towed a TT for over 40 years. I loved each one until I got one 35 feet long and a short bed truck. Though I used it over 12 years, I could never get it completely stable at highway speeds. I traded for a cedar creek, 33 feet long (a fifth wheel) and love it. It is totally stable, the big trucks don't even push me around. The only thing I am still wrestling with is backing it into tight places. My TT was a breeze and everyone says the fiver is easier, but not yet.
jdecanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
Never say never:

They also had no way to tow a fifth wheel, said I was lucky it was a TT or they'd have had to leave it there...

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #10
"On the road again"
Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Get what you want/need - and then get roadside assistance that covers towing of WHATEVER you have. Thankfully (knock on wood) - we've been RVing over 10 years and...well, I'll leave it at that so I don't jinx things.

I love having the peace of mind from roadside assistance, but even never having to use it.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'12 Columbus 320RS - 2015 Ford F-350 King Ranch & 2010 Ford F-250 King Ranch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015: 458 ~ Nights Camping 2016: 95 So Far
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote