Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #1

Fifth wheel for Full timing with kids

We live in our travel trailer year round currently we have a Cherokee lite 28A+ it's 28' with two slides and a rear bunk bed. It works ok for us since we have a two year old but it's getting tight quick we want to upgrade to a fifth wheel.

Some things we are hoping for are 35' and under. Two bedrooms with doors preferably one with a full or queen bed and the master with a true queen or king bed. Four season ability. Lots of storage underneath and inside for food, pots, dishes, clothing, etc... Counter space for cooking. Slide out awnings. No carpet anywhere!!! And at least two slides.

Any suggestions on good models?

Thanks!
Elanpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #2

Also 30 amp service

We have a 2005 Dodge ram 3500 diesel pulling it

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Site Team

what you want would only be available as a custom 5th wheel.

you can find a bunkhouse 5th wheel, like the Keystone Avalanche 341TG, that has a second bedroom with a sofa sleeper and bunk beds.

don't know of any production 5th wheel with what you want.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanpottery View Post
Also 30 amp service

We have a 2005 Dodge ram 3500 diesel pulling it

Thanks!

I think you meant to say 50 Amp. service. 30 Amp is the standard equipt. and 50 amp is generally an option for 2nd Ac or Fire place etc... My 5th wheel is only a 30Amp and we camp very comfortable, but we dont live in it.
Swinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #5

The Wife and I have been living in our 38' 5th wheel (99) for the past 4 years. The past 2 with only 15amp service with out many issues. Only AC needs the 50 amp service, 30 should cover everything else on at the same time. Even in the cold canadian winter (-45F).
sandfox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #6

Yes that is correct I only need 30 amp since we stay in several places that don't have hookup for 50 amp. Plus i am not interested in two air conditioners. Thanks for the ideas all
Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #7

We also have a two year old and have just recently purchased our fifth wheel to full time in. We started out looking at the bunkhouse models, but found that having the bunks really cut into your living space. It seems like if there's bunks then there's no countertop space in the kithcen and the living room is virtually non existant. We bought a Crusader 325RES. We LOVE it! Originally we planned on having out daughter sleep on the air mattress on the couch, but she has issues with that. She's now kicked one of us out of the bed and onto the couch. I'm still working, so it's okay for now. I'd be afraid of waking her up in the morning anyway. Once I'm done with work (in the next couple months) we're going to work more on her sleeping alone. I miss my cuddle time with my husband!!

Jay & Jill
Kyla (6yr old grandaughter)
Sam (13yr old Lab) Khloe (5yr old Shorkie)
2012 Crusader 325RES
2009 F350
JayandJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #8

I have a 42' BH Sierra, as far as what you are looking for may be a bit tough to find. I would not personally worry about whether its 50 or 30 Amps, If you are accustomed to 30A then even with a 50A rig you will be fine. I have a 50A now and have the adapter to hook up to the 30A as where I am full timing does not offer 50A service. You just have to know in your mind and actions that you cant run 2 A/C's, the microwave and washer/dryer at the same time. Keep it simple as one a/c and something else just like you would now not to blow a breaker. We have yet to blow the breaker once. If you dont mind going a little bit longer in length, we got the 365SAQ which is like a palace inside, 4 slides (2 are in the bunk house giving the kids double the room) the living room and king bed. Not bad only 14k GVWR and I tow it with an SRW, so I know you have enough truck to haul it with your Dually. Its a great family floor plan and the kids love it too.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Will a bunk house rear with 4 bunks work?

Also flagstaff offers a bh slide with two bunks and a sofa sleeper in rear that slides which also has 2 bathrooms.
And master bed in front.

My 32 bhok has 3 bunks with an outside kitchen . But only living room and master slides.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo
Will a bunk house rear with 4 bunks work?

Also flagstaff offers a bh slide with two bunks and a sofa sleeper in rear that slides which also has 2 bathrooms.
And master bed in front.

My 32 bhok has 3 bunks with an outside kitchen . But only living room and master slides.
Sandpiper offers a very roomy 5th wheel that's kid friendly but its longer than what you want.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo

Sandpiper offers a very roomy 5th wheel that's kid friendly but its longer than what you want.
Sandpiper 365SAQ is the sister unit of my Sierra 365SAQ that i speak of.....only difference is decor options
Old 07-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #12

Thanks all! I like the Sierra and sandpiper saq models a lot! We are going to look at it in person. I wish you could custom order the whole rig! Is there anybody who does that?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanpottery
Thanks all! I like the Sierra and sandpiper saq models a lot! We are going to look at it in person. I wish you could custom order the whole rig! Is there anybody who does that?
Almost all dealers will do orders for one, however with that said, you probably would not get as good of a deal as an on lot one.

Also, i cant speak of the sandpiper version, but the sierra in 2013 came out with an outside entertainment center in place of a camp kitchen. We love the entertainment center and watch movies with the kids at night outside alot. I just didn't feel like i would use a camp kitchen all that much. What part if the country are you in? There are some other options you may want if you are in a colder climate. Feel free to message me as well and i can give you more details of the options i have and what is good not good in my opinion.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #14

I don't own one yet, but am planning to buy a Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4. The 4 bunks are big enough for adults and there is a half bath in the bunk house. The seem to price out at 43-47k depending on the options.

Also have a King Bed and an outdoor kitchen.

Check them out.
dont_like_to_fly is offline   Reply With Quote