Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #1

Fifth wheel hitch capacity

Hello everyone!

Forgive me for posting a question I'm sure had been asked time and time again, but I can't find the answer.

What percentage of a tow vehicles hitch capacity should be the maximum hitch weight of a fifth wheel? And, how does the way you load the fifth wheel affect hitch weight?

Thanks in advance!
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #2

The hitch weight should be around 20% of the total weight. I have found for everything forward of the trailer axles it seems to just about split the weight between the truck and trailer depending on how close it is to the trailer axles. Hope that makes sense.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:27 PM   #3

Thank you! @Tfort 😊👍
Old 08-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #4

If I understand your question correctly, you're referring to some arbitrary "rule of thumb" that one should not exceed a certain percentage of the tow vehicle's maximum capacity. I don't subscribe to that "rule" as I believe the maximums stated by the TV mfgrs. are the maximums, period.

For example, if you have a max tow rating of 15,000lbs you should never exceed 15,000lbs, and it's not necessary to use some arbitrary "rule" about using only 80% of your allowable weight. Likewise, you should never exceed a hitch weight that puts you over on your rear axle. Lastly, if you load stuff unequally, front or rear, it will affect your hitch weight in some manner, but you'd probably have to be an engineer to figure out the effect. In the alternative, load your items where you want them, and take a trip across the scales to determine your weights and move heavy things around if necessary.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:50 PM   #5

Yep, ultimately well have to go to the scales. We've decided to upgrade (bigger tow vehicle and bigger trailer) and we're trying to figure out what to get. Besides, doing math makes my head hurt 😣😁
Old 08-13-2016, 06:42 AM   #6

IMO on truck tow rating. The manufacturer sets the tow rating with a buffer. They give a safe tow rating to protect from lawsuits. So if they say it will tow 15k that's what it will do. They are not going to set it up so that if you go over by a a few pounds you are now in an unsafe situation. Mine is at the max and it tows like a dream. Bottom line, try to stay within the recommended numbers and most of all, stay in your comfort zone. If you are uncomfortable with it, make some adjustments.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #7

I appreciate that perspective. We found a combo we like very (very) much and everything is within specs for a good match. The pin weight of the trailer is just under 20% of the tow vehicles hitch capacity and the trailers dry weight is about 1500 lbs under the trucks max tow weight, which is plenty for us for our typical vacay trips.

The trailer can carry more cargo than that but we would make sure to not exceed the trucks limits when towing. There's a possibility that we will have to spend more than a month at a time in the trailer (non vacay trips) and I appreciate the trailer having more cargo capacity for those times where I would follow in a separate vehicle with other cargo, if needed, to ensure we don't exceed weight limits and to give me my own set of wheels while we're at our home away from home.

Could we buy a bigger truck to go well outside the range of ability. Yes, but we don't want a diesel or a dually for our own reasons and both trailer and truck combo keeps us within our budget too.

There is so much to consider when making these decisions and I think my dear husband will feel better once he knows what it feels like to drive this new combo, the unknown can be unnerving 😊

Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #8
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

If you haven't picked a hitch yet, suggest you look at the Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch and also consider buying your upgraded truck to have an in-bed goose ball. The Andersen weighs 32 pounds and is easy for a single person to put in and take out of the bed. Check out some of the many youtube videos.

Since you are not considering a diesel or dually, I'm kinda guessing your fifth wheel trailer will be on the lighter side and the Andersen is a good match in that arena.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
If you haven't picked a hitch yet, suggest you look at the Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch and also consider buying your upgraded truck to have an in-bed goose ball. The Andersen weighs 32 pounds and is easy for a single person to put in and take out of the bed. Check out some of the many youtube videos.

Since you are not considering a diesel or dually, I'm kinda guessing your fifth wheel trailer will be on the lighter side and the Andersen is a good match in that arena.
Would this work with a 6.5 short bed? Also, the fifth wheel we're interested in is an older model not designed for short beds so we will definitely need a slider hitch of some type. I do like the idea of a hitch that is easy to put in and out of the bed
Old 08-13-2016, 12:54 PM   #10
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Evans View Post
Would this work with a 6.5 short bed? Also, the fifth wheel we're interested in is an older model not designed for short beds so we will definitely need a slider hitch of some type. I do like the idea of a hitch that is easy to put in and out of the bed
My truck is a double cab with a 6.6' bed and my trailer has a sculpted nose that does help with clearance. Without seeing your trailer's nose I can't really comment on the need for slider but I can say that with the Andersen you can have up to 12 inches of adjustment. If you install the kingpin adapter block with the ballmount hole in front, you get 8" additional clearance for the cab vs. installing the ballmount hole behind the kingpin which is 8" less. Either position is approved by Andersen. Then you can increase the clearance another 4" by changing the truck's inbed ball to a Reese 4" offset ball and that gives you another 4" clearance.

In my case, I have the combination of the Andersen ball mount behind the kingpin (8" closer to the cab) and I have the Reese offset ball (4" further away from the cab). The net is I tow with my nose 4" (-8"+4") closer to the cab. No slider ever needed.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #11

Question

Always hear go to the scales weigh the Tow Vehicle and then trailer separate then both together with all your people and full load, but on my travels i see wegh stations but are we allowed to enter and do all this? When it specifies on tractor trailers, so what does everyone else do ? Thanks Jim
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyr View Post
Always hear go to the scales weigh the Tow Vehicle and then trailer separate then both together with all your people and full load, but on my travels i see wegh stations but are we allowed to enter and do all this? When it specifies on tractor trailers, so what does everyone else do ? Thanks Jim
I wouldn't go to a weigh station but there are CAT scales at certain truck stops.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Had a dealer tell me he never knows if a slider is needed, or not, until the combo is hooked up, and my experience tells me the same. Had a 2004 F150 with the 5-1/2' bed and definitely needed a slider. Didn't think I needed one with the 6-1/2' bed in my F350, but I do. All the auto sliding hitches are heavy and a two-man job to remove and install, so you need to keep that in mind.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Had a dealer tell me he never knows if a slider is needed, or not, until the combo is hooked up, and my experience tells me the same. Had a 2004 F150 with the 5-1/2' bed and definitely needed a slider. Didn't think I needed one with the 6-1/2' bed in my F350, but I do. All the auto sliding hitches are heavy and a two-man job to remove and install, so you need to keep that in mind.
Yep, I think we're going to go the non-slider route and just make sure it's compatible with a sidewinder in case we decide it's needed.

Thank you!
Old 08-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Yep, I think we're going to go the non-slider route and just make sure it's compatible with a sidewinder in case we decide it's needed.

Thank you!
Well, so much for this idea, lol! My DH decided on a B&W Companion Slider Hitch - might be a bit heavier but oh well!
Old 08-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #16

Your husband made a good decision. With a 5.5 bed you will need the slider.
I have a GMC with 6.5 bed and radius fifth front and it makes 90 degree turn without using the slider although i have it, but it's close call..4
Michel
micalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by micalo View Post
Your husband made a good decision. With a 5.5 bed you will need the slider.
I have a GMC with 6.5 bed and radius fifth front and it makes 90 degree turn without using the slider although i have it, but it's close call..4
Michel
We are totally upgrading our tow vehicle and although it will still be considered a short bed, it'll be a 6.5 bed as well We may never 'need' the slider but we'll have it just in case

I'll update my signature when the deal is done

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch, wheel