Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #1

Fifth Wheel Smooth ride

I am looking at adding a air ride coupler to my Salem 5vr. I have been looking at 5th Airborne, Mor/ryde and Air Ride brocures. I have also been told to change the 5th wheel hitch instead. What experience have all of you had and recomendations??????
Old 09-20-2007, 02:50 PM   #2

No help from me. I can't afford that stuff. I'm using an old Reese on my 5'er that I bought for a couple hundered bucks used. Mine rides smooth enough for me. I don't get any jerking except over big bumps.

I would think that the air ride coupler would be plenty. I guess it just depends on how much you want to spend and what you call smooth.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #3

I would choose an air pinbox over an air hitch like easy rider. The hitch set ups are nice but tend to have more foward and back movent especially in a panic stop or hard acceleration. In a panic stop you can actually rack the hitch foward all the way which causes a slight rebound motion through truck and trailer. You won't have this problem with an air pinbox. As far as the pinbox I think the best choice is which issue you are trying to address. TrailAir and Airborne address the up and down motion with a air cushion. MorRyde will address more of the push/pull jerking motion. You need to know what you are feeling ride wise in the truck and then choose the pinbox that addresses that issue. Hope that helps.
Bulldogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #4

Thanks, I am having the push pull problem. Sometimes it feels like the Trailer is coming through the back of the truck.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #5

Okay, then the mor/ryde pin box would be the best choice.
Bulldogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #6

Thumbs up Pin Box Comparison

Fortunately and because I recieved the incorrect 5th. Airborne from Camping World, they subsituted me with a MorRyde and offered me to substitute it to the correct 5th. Airborne if I was not satisfied.

After travelling 600 KM with the MorRyde, I went back to Camping World and had it replaced with the 5th. Airborne...what a difference! Note however and don't be fooled, there is still minimal verticle and horizontal forces but, definetely minimized by the 5th. Airborne.

As for my Lippert Extended 1621 Heavy Duty Pin Box that came with my 2008 XLR 30X12 Toy Hauler, it's been retired since I took delivery of my 5'er.
MegaCabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
Commercial Member

I have the 5th Airborne also and love it.

It does take a little adjustment to get right, but when there, it is great.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel