Old 09-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #11

I only today came across the Winfield Landing Leg Cross-braces
LANDING LEG CROSS BRACES

These look really interesting to me since it's pretty much what I was thinking of making myself. I like the fact that they're cross-braces that cross the width of the trailer (unlike the BAL/JT/UltraFab which seem to only go from each leg to the center) and cross both ways (unlike the SteadyFast which only has one side-to-side brace).

I also like that there's no drilling involved. (I was thinking of making something to clamp to the top of the front landing leg tubes, rather than drilling into the frame, which is exactly what these do))

I know they won't do anything much for front-back (see-saw/rocking) movement, since there's no front-back brace, but thought that perhaps I could combine with X-chocks and/or a single pair of BAL lock-arms for front-to-back rocking (fitted to either the front legs if I can mount them and the cross-braces together, or to the back power stabilizers), or even just with a tripod (which if I understand correctly help with front/back rocking, but not the side-to-side, which is solved by these braces)

Thoughts ?

Old 09-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #12

Too much money for so little

Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #13

Since I'm thinking of using them in conjunction with a pair of BAL Lock-arm's (because they can be bought in individual pairs, unlike the JT StrongArm or UltraFab eliminators), I'd like to know the thread size of the locking bolt on the BAL Lock-arms, so that I can replace the bolt with a wing-bolt (so they can be hand tightened rather than having to use a crank or wrench)
Old 09-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #14

I looked into many different styles of braces. Decided on the Steadyfast. Braces go from leg to frame which is what eventually sold me. One side to side and one front to back die the landing legs, and one side to side for the back jacks. Works awesome!
Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #15

I ordered the Winfield cross-braces since I like that the go side-to-side both directions (clamping onto the leg tube which is welded onto the chassis).
Should get them tomorrow (will post pics when installed).
I also got a pair of x-chocks

If I still need extra front-back stabilization then I'll get a pair or two of the BAL stabilizers
Old 09-18-2015, 12:21 AM   #16
Jeffco, MO

Kenz - I had the steadfast on my Wildcat and DW was very happy for the great improvement.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #17

So, I installed the Winfield Cross-brace stabilizers, and it was a remarkably quick and easy install, and so far (from just a quick shake test) the results seem excellent. Without the stabilizers there was a lot of side-to-side movement. With the stabilizers tightened I couldn't get any noticeable movement at all from a shake test.

Pictures in my mods album, and below: -
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lbums2422.html

As you can see the braces cross from one leg to the other, providing excellent side-to-side stabilization. No drilling necessary, since they just clamp on to the outer leg tubes.
Tightening the stabilizers when setting up only takes a few seconds.

Top and bottom bracket install on left landing leg (no idea why I can't get any photos to come out portrait, despite the photo being portrait on phone and camera)

Upper mounting bracket install on right landing leg. The bracket just clamps to the landing leg surround with a custom U bracket, and a couple of nylock nuts. The top of the cross-brace then just attaches to the bracket with a bolt and nylock nut.

To install the lower mounting bracket you just remove the clip pin holding the foot in place, and replace it with a bolt that goes through the mounting bracket and through the holes in the leg (I was able to do this with the legs down). You then just attach the bottom end of the brace with a bolt and nylock nut.

To setup you just twist the two ends of the pole until you have an available hole lined up (the holes in the outer and inner legs are at different spacings so that you don't have to adjust the full distance between holes ever), put the clip pin through the leg, and then twist the two parts of the pole together until hand-tight. Repeat for the other brace.
To teardown you just reverse the process and loosen the brace until you can remove the clip-pin, store the clip pin, and retract the legs.
The next time you setup the holes should be already relatively lined up from last time, assuming the landing legs are extended a similar amount.

I'll report again on how well they work after our next trip in 2 weeks.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #18

I use the JT StrongArm on mine and just added 2 scissor jacks in front of my front wheels to take out the spring and tire bounce.. My 340rk is now solid.. Front to back

Greetings from Wisconsin
You can find us in Egg Harbor, WI 7/14 -7/17
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonm View Post
I use the JT StrongArm on mine and just added 2 scissor jacks in front of my front wheels to take out the spring and tire bounce.. My 340rk is now solid.. Front to back

Greetings from Wisconsin
Interesting to hear that you were still getting some tire-bounce with JT stabilizers added.
I did think about getting center jacks, but I think I'll see how it is with just the cross-braces and X-chock's on our next trip, before considering adding anything extra.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Interesting to hear that you were still getting some tire-bounce with JT stabilizers added.
I did think about getting center jacks, but I think I'll see how it is with just the cross-braces and X-chock's on our next trip, before considering adding anything extra.
No stabilizers of any brand will eliminate the tire/suspension bounce. They are all mounted too far from the axles and the trailer frames will flex between the stabilizers.

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel