Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
Rubysamm

Fifth Wheel Towing

I have some experience towing horse trailers and travel trailers. I never did like the feel of sway from said trailers.
How do the fifth wheel trailers handle? I currently drive a 31' class c and am thinking about going with a fifth wheel. Its not like you can "take one for a road test".
rubysamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:20 PM   #2

Fifth wheels pull far superior to a tag trailer IMHO. I have had both and will never go back to a tag. You can set a tag up to pull a lot better but it will cost much $$$$. If I were you I would go to a dealership and tell them youwant to test pull a couple of trailers, Use their truck and pick a 5th and a comperable tag and take them for a pull. If the dealership says no, then they don't want your busness, find another dealership.
Cheers
Bear

2000 Volvo 660 D12 425 hp 1550 torque 15 speed, Trailer Saver air ride hitch. 2006 Canadian Sport 385 RLTS 40'10" triple slide, triple axle 5'er toybox, 300 watts solar, 3000 watt inverter, Onan 5500 Marques Platnum. 1998 Polaris 300 Explorer 4X4 quad, 2003 Polaris 700 Sportsman 4X4 quad, 1994 Jeep YJ "TOAD" 3" lift 31" ProComp Mud Terrain tires

https://community.webshots.com/user/Bears319

https://www.picturetrail.com/bears319

Mission Statement : ZZZZzzzzz
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubysamm
I have some experience towing horse trailers and travel trailers. I never did like the feel of sway from said trailers.
How do the fifth wheel trailers handle? I currently drive a 31' class c and am thinking about going with a fifth wheel. Its not like you can "take one for a road test".
rubysamm,
You will be surprised at how well a fifth wheel handles. If your set-up is correct(the right truck for your 5'er), at times, you won't even know it's back there.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:29 PM   #4

I must chime in here. I have pulled fifth wheels across the country and imo the do pull much better that a tt.

When the wife and I recently upgraded we wanted a fiver but we had the good stuff for a tt and I am happy with my set up.

If a fiver is in the budget than thats the way to go from the start.

Just my opinion.

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:32 PM   #5

Cool

If you have the money, you might think about some type air ride hitch, or air ride head or pin box. They will big time make a difference. I pull my 32er with out any of the air hitches, and it tows great. But..I have also pulled with any air hitch and they are great...!! I'm saving up for a air hitch head now. Stay safe and keep on trucking.
Salem32ft. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:27 PM   #6
Rubysamm

salem 32

what do you tow your salem with?
rubysamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:16 AM   #7

on my second fiver, had a 30 foot tt, it pulled very nce when the weight bars and hitch were set up, but it was a pain hitching up.
my fivers pull like a dream, our curent one just goes along for the ride, smooth and tracks well and has no sway.
it will however turn short if i am not watching, bu ton th eroad you can easily not notice its back there.
2200 pin wt, helps alot to with ride control
Old 09-25-2006, 12:26 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Rubysamm. sorry for the late reply, been gone out of town for a short time..
I tow with a 04 Dodge, quad cab, Cummings diesel, auto trans. and single rear wheels.
Salem32ft. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:52 PM   #9

pulling a 5er

I have a 5er after pulling a TT. There is very little sway and it pulls better witih better gas mileage and my 5er is longer and heavier.

Rich
F-250, 6.0 PSD, 3:73 Rear End
2006 Flagstaff 8528CKSS
safety guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #10

I have pulled many a hay trailer and horse trailer. We bought our FR Wildcat 5er and a F250. The Wildcat is a 30ft trailer and has a GVRW of 11490. I have been pulling it at about 9k. Don't even know it is behind unless we start up some grades. Using a B&W companion hitch. Seldom feel chucking, but usually due to roads.

I went to pick up my 5er from the dealer. A TT was parked next to my trailer and they had begun to hook up. I backed up & connected, raised the jacks, checked the lights, pulled the chocks, walked into the dealership to buy a coke and was on the road before they were finished hooking up. This is not a bash of TT's, just trying to show how easy it is to load a 5er and take off.

Travel safe and may God Bless.
BC
txbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel