Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #1

First time buyer

So this will be our fort TT purchase. We are hoping to purchase within 6 months or so. We have narrowed our search down to 2 models. The Cherokee wolf pup 18to or the Salem FSX 178BHS. Has anyone had experience with either model and what do you like or dislike? I like the open floor plan of the wolf pup but I like the full bunks of the FSX. It will be me, my wife, and our 2 young boys (2 and 6). I would also like to occasionally take my parents with us. We aren’t new to camping as we go a lot now with her parents. They have a pop up with 2 slide outs. We are outside the majority of the time and essentially use the camper to sleep.
My TV is a 14 Nissan Frontier with a 6,100 towing capacity. Both trailers are around 3,700 dry. I would also consider other TT that fit with my TV if anyone has any other recommendations. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!
Jgs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:03 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum from Central Florida.. you came to the right place for info. I’m sure many will pop in to give you advice. Have fun..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #3

Thanks! I’m looking foreword to learning all the ins and outs.
Jgs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #4

What are the numbers on your door sticker for cargo carrying capacity?

The Salem shows just under 3800 lbs UVW and 4999 GVWR. With a 32 gallon fresh water tank full your adding about 250 lbs, add another 800-1000 lbs for all the stuff a family of four brings when they go camping for a week and your right near that 5000lb GVWR. So you're fine on the vehicles towing capacity (how much it can pull).

Most peoples issue is on the cargo carrying capacity limit. This is the weight that is distributed on the tow vehicles suspension and affects how it handles while towing.

So your tongue weights going to be between 500-750 lbs (10%-15% of your trailer weight when loaded for camping).
Say 500-600 lbs for 4 passengers.
Maybe somewhere between 200-400 lbs of stuff packed in the vehicle (Coolers, clothes, groceries, etc.)

So adding the above three items up your Cargo is in the neighborhood of 1200-1750. Once you get the number from the sticker on your door, you will know if you are under or over the CCC. Do the math, then know Your good or that you need to look at a different camper because it's too heavy once you calculate out everything.

I can tell you you don't want to exceed the CCC. Your vehicle when at it's limits will not be fun to drive when it's windy, when it's raining or when you have to get on the brakes in a hurry or swerve to avoid an accident. Those conditions are when you are happy you have plenty of room left in your towing limits.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgs1 View Post
My TV is a 14 Nissan Frontier with a 6,100 towing capacity. Both trailers are around 3,700 dry. I would also consider other TT that fit with my TV if anyone has any other recommendations. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

We have the 179DBK and love the floor plan. Main difference is the Murphy bed that eliminates the need for a slide. Our TV is 2014 Frontier. Good luck and happy shopping.

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:58 PM   #6

We were recently trying to decide between the same two models. The problem I ran into was these are relatively new floor plans (I think the first year for the 178bhs?) so there was very little by way of reviews or data. We opted for the 178bhs because it has ample interior room but enough static sleep area for our family (two adults, 5 yo, and 3 yo). We just purchased a month ago so we have been acquiring all of the other goodies we need to make our first trip (plus soccer season is in full swing). We have three trips planned May-July so we will have more to report then. I don’t think you can go wrong either way but the static bunks were the best option for us. Even with being on the smaller end of TT spectrum there are still options to hang curtains for a bit more privacy for the various beds. The 18TO is more of a studio apartment feel.
W33zl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by W33zl3 View Post
We were recently trying to decide between the same two models. The problem I ran into was these are relatively new floor plans (I think the first year for the 178bhs?) so there was very little by way of reviews or data. We opted for the 178bhs because it has ample interior room but enough static sleep area for our family (two adults, 5 yo, and 3 yo). We just purchased a month ago so we have been acquiring all of the other goodies we need to make our first trip (plus soccer season is in full swing). We have three trips planned May-July so we will have more to report then. I don’t think you can go wrong either way but the static bunks were the best option for us. Even with being on the smaller end of TT spectrum there are still options to hang curtains for a bit more privacy for the various beds. The 18TO is more of a studio apartment feel.
I had a18TO, nice tt, pulled with a Tacoma 4.0 v6 rated 6500lbs and not enough power, highway speeds was a nightmare, bought a Silverado 1500 and was much better, 14mpg
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time