Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #1

First time Buyer! 272QBXL

Hi all! My wife and I just put a deposit on a FR Salem Ultra Lite 272QBXL! We have a two year old and a four month old and are looking forward start creating new fun memories. I used this forum for the past month for research purposes and found it very helpful. I politely declined the extended warranty that was offered and told them I would be buying the 2nd year warranty directly from Forest River. I would not have known that if not for this forum. I hope to take delivery next week. My amazon shopping cart keeps growing. What are the must haves for the little ones while camping? We well mostly be going to the Pismo coast with full hook ups. Thanks again everyone!
jlgarza15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #2

We're in the exact same situation, kids are the same ages even. Just bought a 26TBSS and I've spent more than I care to say on Amazon on all the accessories. I don't feel like we needed anything special for the kids. I was glad I remembered to get a bottle brush for the camper. Those small garbage bags are handy for diapers and don't break open like plastic grocery bags. Just remember to bring a variety of toys and books for your toddler, as ours got pretty restless at the campsite unless she had something to do.
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #3

I have 4 kids and my youngest is 5. I hate to say how much we have spent via Amazon Prime and Camping World over the past few weeks. I cannot even imagine having a really young one! Congrats on the new rig!
FreddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #4

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your Salem Ultra Lite 272QBXL. You are about to start building family memories that will last a lifetime. Although grown and on their own our kids sometimes say,"Remember when we went to....".
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #5

Here are some pics of our rig. We've spend two weekends at the beach and are already planning our next trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3819.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	65413   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3820.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	65414   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3821.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	65415   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3824.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	65416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3822.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	65417  

Old 10-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #6

Very nice but the bedspread plays tricks with my eyes. Wish you many safe and fun trips.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
fx2

Very nice!! We looked at that model before deciding on our Surveyor, I liked them.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
Site Team

Luv them Cruise Lite units! Seriously you do have a really nice looking trailer.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #9

Thanks for sharing. My husband and I just bought the Salem Ultra Lite 272QBXL but wont bring it home until April. We are super excited as this is our first trailer!]66068[/ATTACH]. Getting a lot of great information from everyone. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1415491404.872303.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	718.4 KB
ID:	66068  
Stowefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #10

Stowe Family are you from VT?
VT Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #11

No, we are in Ontario Canada. Husband rides his bike to Stowe Vt so we are hoping to get there this summer on a trip to Eastern Us and Canada. Would be nice to visit Stowe, especially for my kids.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #12

Congratulations! Rving is not often cheap but the memories you create for your kids will be everlasting and priceless. Well worth it.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations!

Yes, we're also Amazon Prime folks after discovering anything with "RV" in the title seems to costs 4-5 times more at the stores.

We have four adorable grandbabies (all girls) and they are starting to come camping with Nana and Papa. (And I've seen the movie "Frozen" more times than I care to admit!!)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #14

Visiting new places and meeting new friends is what we are looking to do in our trailer. Cant wait to load it up and start camping or should I say Glamping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #15

Stowe is gorgeous in the summer (not so bad in winter either) if you get there a must is the Rt 108 drive from Stowe to Smugglers Notch its a seasonal road but breathtaking views and just watch for the occasional falling rock
VT Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #16

Hey there! Nice trailer. We have the same model but the Wildwood version. Quick question did you just use twin sheets in the back bunks or get some special sheets? They look very nice and my kids would be very appreciative to not sleep in sleeping bags.
Hapy.Trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #17

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, we just used fitted twin sheets that are sold individually at WM.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #18
Tsantos

My family is also new to the camping with travel trailer and we like going to piano, let me know areas you discover that are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Tsantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #19
Explorer

For our kids

I missed your original post but love the topic of kids and camping. By the way, you have a beautiful camper.
I camp for the kids or that’s how I sell it to the wife, keeps the budget flowing. I try to keep the kids busy by being involved, learning, exploring and very comfortable. In the truck I keep a box of snacks(kids help me pick and pack), water and box of things to do(homework, coloring books, reading books, games, Leapfrog…). When the kids were young we had the “sing along” CDs and DVDs for the long stretches between interesting points. We had tables that that fit on the car seats.
This is tougher than I thought because our kids stuff has evolved so much(10yrs); I’ll do my best.
Keeping the kids comfortable, we get into some crazy(wonderful) places and if we’re prepared “its all good” : water shoes, snow shoes, rain gear, hats, warm bedding, sun block, bug repellent,... I go so far as to keep a box of extra clothing(sweats, shorts, socks, crocks, jackets, blankets…) for everyone, in the truck(Yakama box). I want my kids to have fun, explore, get dirty, get wet, stay longer than planned, experience and go home/camp comfy.
I keep a military duffle bag full of toys: color chalk, frisbee, kites, bubbles, batons, ribbon sticks, swoosh, balls, water guns/balloons, stuff, things…..it has evolved. One rule: if you get it out you can put it away. I do pack extra for sharing with new friends.
Bug nets, cages, magnifying glass and bug books seem to always come out, lizards, salamanders, frogs and yes snakes too. They catch them, then we look them up and discus them.
Cameras(kid friendly) came early, binoculars came soon after, small backpacks to take care of their own stuff.
Glow stick necklaces were popular for a long time and great to share with new friends.
Small chairs that they fit-in(feet on the ground), we went through two sizes and now standard size.
Pop-up sun shade with floor for a little protection, when they were little
Large atlas; my kids have, for long time, worked with me on how to get somewhere. We look for interesting sights along the way, long way, short way, usually not taking the same way there as we do on the way home(for long trips). By keeping my kids involved they knew what to expect and it almost totally cuts down on “how much longer”. We talk a lot about time, every time we stop it means 30min longer and if it’s a point of interest could be 2hrs. Its all good, just might mean longer on the road or less time at the final destination. Lately we have gotten into topographical maps to fine our way to the even more out of the way places(swim behind waterfalls, caves you can swim through, slot canyons, hot srings, lava tubes….) Now that their older I push them to web search where we’re headed.
Every kid needs their own flash light to hunt down those elusive snipes.
We’re a fishing family and fishing poles, vests and hats came very early. Start them off right, find a lake full of blue gill or a stream freshly planted so they are guaranteed to catch. You can explain how its called “fishing” not “catching” later when their older and gain patience.
Bikes have always been with us, first 2 then 3 and now 4 with a carrier for the dog when she’s tired.
Double Kayak that’s super stable easily fit 3 of us plus dog and cooler.Then added a single kayak and now we’re into paddle boards. (Yakama rack and on our bed)
Marshmallow sticks, S’more makings, hot chocolate and now tea
I installed D/C outlets and wall mounted basket in each bunk for all the electronics.
Memory foam added to the stock bed mats
Toe step mounted to wall for top bunk instead of bulky ladder
We have a LARGE cork board in our camper that we put pictures from our trips. Its amazing how often we find ourselves in front of the pictures reminiscing and planning another trip. Our board is so full I’m adding another.
Sashes that over flowed on to vests, we do all the state and national park Jr. Ranger Programs and earn the badges and patches. I sew on all the patches and the kids get a ton of attention when they walk in with 30plus badges and patches, it opens conversations on where they’ve been, what they saw and learned. My kids now think their too big to get the badge but we still stamp the books, watch the movies and learn….. Their vest and sashes still lay under their bunk mattresses.
We decorate for the 4th of July, we’ve done Easter hunts in the dessert, Halloween on the coast, birthdays even a Christmas. Even though we’re away from home and the kids are afraid they’ll miss out, we go prepared and its been great.
Kids learn(forced/tricked) so much from camping: organization, communication, teamwork, patience, independence…..then there is the nature side, biology, physics, geography, history……The best part is we all have fun doing it.
Life is good
I do wish we had an extra set of bunks, the kids are getting older and are going to want friends to come along. Might have to upgrade…….
Safe Travels
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time