Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #1

First time TT buyers

We are currently looking at purchasing the 831BHSS model. It is the wife and I, with our 2 kids. They always have their friends, or other family members come camping with us, so we can use the extra room. I was wondering what others thought of this model, and their thoughts and advise on the quality of this TT.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Kevin
kskwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #2

to FRF!!

While I don't have any info on what you are looking at I have a bunkhouse and love it. So do the kiddos.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #3

Glad to hear it. We are from Texas also, so we have been trying different state parks and such, learning as we go. We are headed to Bastrop State Park in a few weeks. Any ones that you could recomend ?
Old 07-07-2007, 10:50 PM   #4

kskwash,

to FRF.

Got a friend who had the Rockwood version of that model, the 8318SS. He bought it as a place for his family to live after Hurricane Katrina did damage to the area they were from. The double slides made it very roomy inside. The night he bought the TT, we set it up in my back yard(full hook-ups). This is were they lived for 2-1/2 months, until they were allowed to return home. He sold it shortly after, as they were not a camping family.

I remember after we completed the set up, walking inside and being amazed at the quality of the trailer. The fit and finish was as good as any I've seen.
In my opinion, the way Forest River appoints their Flagstaff and Rockwood travel trailers, they are just about the best bang for the money.

When we were ready to upgrade to a larger TT, we went with a Forest River Rockwood because of what we saw and liked in our friend's TT.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:38 AM   #5

Micheal,
Thanks for the imput. It helps us feel better knowing what others have seen and hear about them, as this will be our first TT to purchase.

Kevin
Old 07-08-2007, 09:36 AM   #6

We don't have that model but our Flagstaff 26RKS is well built and good quality for the money. We have had no problems with it except a bad air conditioner which our dealer replaced under warranty.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwash View Post
Glad to hear it. We are from Texas also, so we have been trying different state parks and such, learning as we go. We are headed to Bastrop State Park in a few weeks. Any ones that you could recomend ?
Texas State Parks huh? 1st thing though you need to buy the State Park Pass. This costs around $75 and is good for a year. It waves the park fees for all occupants of your vehicle for any state park. It will pay for itself in just a few camping trips. Buy it on your 1st trip at the park you go to.

I can recommend a few Texas SPs and here they are in no particular order:
Lake Somerville SP - Nails Creek Unit (there are 2 parks on the lake, I prefer this one)
Huntsville SP (although with this one wait until you get very comfortable pulling your trailer, there are some real tight spots there, you may even want to scout it out first)
Guadalupe River SP near Spring Branch (we’ll be there 4-13 Aug)
Mustang Island SP in Corpus (we’ll be there 13-17 Aug, the sites aren’t the best but it is on the beach)
McKinney Falls SP in Austin
Goliad SP
Lake Mineral Wells SP in Mineral Wells
Dinosaur Valley SP in Glen Rose (this one is cool because of the Dino tracks)
Celburne SP
Cedar Hill SP South of Dallas (beautiful place but since it’s so close to DFW it’s busier than heck)
Lake Ray Roberts SP (there are 2 there, either one but I prefer the Northern one)
Rusk SP (another tight one but not as tight as Huntsville SP)
Kerville City Park (use to be a State Park)
Inks Lake SP near Burnet
Palo Duro Canyon SP near Amarillo and Canyon
Caprock Canyons SP near Silverton
Davis Mountains SP near Ft. Davis
Balmorhea SP
Fort Richardson SP in Jacksboro

These are just the ones I can think of right now that I would recommend. I’ve been to others that I wouldn’t go to again. What I like to do when I’m staying at a park is scout out the parks that are nearby for future reference. I’ll get a map of the park and mark the sites that I like on a number scale of 1-3 with 1 being the best and 3 being acceptable (as in we can get the trailer in). Another thing to keep in mind about Texas State Parks is most of the sites are back-in and most are a blind-side back-in. Practice blind-side backing as that’s what you will be doing most in Texas. Also, most Texas SPs do not have sewer hookups. A wise investment is one of those towable grey water tanks; I carry a 35 gallon with me everywhere.

greg
Old 07-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #8

Thanks for the info Kim, I'm glad to hear that your dealer stood behind there product. Picking the right dealer to buy from can make all the difference in the world.

Thanks again
Kevin
Old 07-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #9

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the info. We have been to Huntsville SP many times camping in our tent. We have heard about Inks Lake, and are planning to get there this fall. We have some neighbors that go to Mustang Island, and they tell us the same thing.
Thanks again
Kevin
Old 07-09-2007, 08:33 AM   #10
RAC

We are currently going to purchase a 2007 831FKSS. We looked at the bunkhouse models as well and were going to settle on it, but asked ourselves a few questions along the way. We have 3 kids, 16, 13 and 11. When the wife and I were kids, neither of us remember our personal "comfort" being at the top of our parents lists. I fondly remember the table bed being my own space, and a few sleeping bags here and there as well. With the big pull out sofa and the table bed, we figured space and the larger kitchen area was more important. We are avid jet skiiers and boaters and like to sit outside as well and watch sunsets and enjoy the company of other campers. I would recommend the following questions before purchasing:

When the kids are gone, what do we do with the lost space?

Is the lack of space going to make it seem cramped when everyone is inside watching TV or whatever?

When the kids are out of the house, is it a better trailer for two?

How much time do we actually spend inside the trailer?

Just my thoughts on the matter, I am by no means an expert, and by my nick, you should be able to figure out that ANYTHING is more comfortable than the sand.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
We are currently going to purchase a 2007 831FKSS. We looked at the bunkhouse models as well and were going to settle on it, but asked ourselves a few questions along the way. We have 3 kids, 16, 13 and 11. When the wife and I were kids, neither of us remember our personal "comfort" being at the top of our parents lists. I fondly remember the table bed being my own space, and a few sleeping bags here and there as well. With the big pull out sofa and the table bed, we figured space and the larger kitchen area was more important. We are avid jet skiiers and boaters and like to sit outside as well and watch sunsets and enjoy the company of other campers. I would recommend the following questions before purchasing:

Is the lack of space going to make it seem cramped when everyone is inside watching TV or whatever?

Just my thoughts on the matter, I am by no means an expert, and by my nick, you should be able to figure out that ANYTHING is more comfortable than the sand.

First off to FRF!!

for your questions:
How old are the kids? Mine are 7 and 8. When they are gone to college that is, it'll be time to sell the rig and buy a new one.

Nope, at least mine is very roomy. Not cramped at all. We often camp with my inlaws and or my father and his wife. During bad weather, we'll all gather in my rig as it's the largest for meal times. We've seated 6 adults and 2 kiddos for meals before (now that's a bit cramped) but 4 adults and 2 kiddos isn't too bad.

Absolutly not. Time to sell and get a new one. In fact, I've got a plan for that.

We spend a lot of time in our trailer, espicially when it's raining or very cold or very hot. Our girls are still young and need to take naps and really like having their "own" room. It also allows us (the parents) our own space while the ladies are either napping or watching a movie.

We don't have toys like dirtbikes or jetskis to haul with us. Just bicycles and those fit in the small garage in the rear of our trailer (which most bunkhouse models don't have).
Old 07-09-2007, 08:46 PM   #12

Retired Army,
Thanks for the imput. Our kids are 3 and 9 years old, so we have a long way to go before ours are out of the house. Hoping to use it alot between now and then. Once the kids do get out of the house, we will still be going camping with them, although they may be wanting their own space. and if that is the case, it will be time for a new TT, one for the two of us at that point. Thanks for the imput, and it is some good questions to ask.

Also, thanks for your service to our country. I can imagine that anything would be better than the sand.

Kevin
Old 07-10-2007, 07:16 AM   #13
RAC

No problem, and I am certainly no expert. I think Greg has talked me into altering my own plans.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
We don't have that model but our Flagstaff 26RKS is well built and good quality for the money. We have had no problems with it except a bad air conditioner which our dealer replaced under warranty.
Are warranty issues handled directly through Forest River . Since i will have my tt stored far away from my dealer, i will need to have a FR service center do work on it. I assume this is possible and doesnt have to go through the dealer, this is my understanding at this point. I will further discuss with my dealer, who seems honest. I have contacted Camping World in MB, SC and they say they are a FR warranty service area. I also plan to check other
places.

Also, anyone know about the extended warranties. I heard you can pay FR 125 for addn one year. I aslo heard someone was quoting a 7 year warrante

I have a lot of questions regarding my new tt and making a list of things to look at during the tt checkout at the dealer. I wonder if anyone has a recommended TT checkout list before taking receipt of a new TT. I plan to connect all utilities and check through and make a punchlist.

thanks

Phil
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote