Old 08-16-2016, 10:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Don't use silicone. It will eventually fail and you'll be right back leaking again
If there is enough room to get a small piece of tape down into the gutter, I would suggest using a piece of aluminum duct tape...the type of tape used to seal duct work togather at the seams. Very thin, but very sticky, and will hold up under water. If you can get a small piece down into the gutter to bridge the gap, it will solve the leak problem.
If no room to use the tape, use some rubberized roof flashing caulk/adhesive. It's black, will not "harden" (stays flexible), and will seal the gap. Use a small icecream stick to apply it into the gutter and spread it. A caulk tube runs a few 3-4 bucks at Lowes/Home Depot.
Grumpy
Good ideas there. I have HVAC tape already. My mom also has the roof flashing caulk. I had to get her some not too long ago.

What about on the outside? I'd like to use something that looks nice like clear silicone if possible.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:05 AM   #12

Don't use any type of silicone on your rig. Silicone was never ment to be used in an outside enviorment. It will eventually crack and start to peel off.
Additionally, it leaves a residue and nothing will adhere to it, not even new silicon.
Since you have some of the black flashing caulk, and your guttering is black, why don't you just "smear" a bit on the outside. I doubt anyone would notice.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Currently on a 3 month, 12,000 mile trip.
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Don't use any type of silicone on your rig. Silicone was never ment to be used in an outside enviorment. It will eventually crack and start to peel off.
Additionally, it leaves a residue and nothing will adhere to it, not even new silicon.
Since you have some of the black flashing caulk, and your guttering is black, why don't you just "smear" a bit on the outside. I doubt anyone would notice.
Grumpy
Sound advice. I'll be sure to clean the area well and once it cools down this week I'll apply the flashing caulk.

I do have one question though. Everything that's sealed on the exterior of my rig has a semi-thick bead of something clear. I assumed it was silicone. Does Forest River use a clear UV resistant caulk?
Old 08-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #14

When I mentioned silicone, I ment the cheapy stuff you get in the box stores.
They do make speciality rv silicone based sealants. Look at Proflex RV Flexible Sealants, they carry a clear, or Dap Dynaflex 230 Clear. Its a latex/silicone based clear sealant/caulk.
Just don't use the cheapy regular household silicone. Will never hold up.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Currently on a 3 month, 12,000 mile trip.
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #15

Triumph Thunderbird - 2010

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:55 PM   #16

The other problem that you end up with on that gutter is if you use too much sealant, you end up damming the gutter and it will overflow there if you're too perfectly level....it will then spill over the edge and leak through the seam of the awning. Its a stupid spot to have a split in the gutter...not to mention its right over the mount for the TV.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #17

I'm not sure you got the answer you were looking for on your black water flush. I know thing change, but on my 2009 Grey Wolf you can hear the water flushing the sides of the tank. There were a couple of time that the water pressure was too high and I couldn't hear it flush until I turned down the water. In my case I think the high pressure stopped the sprinkler head from rotating.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #18

Had the exact two issues with our new Coachmen...now two years old. Used Flex Seal on gutter crack. Have had no problems.
Black tank flush - turned out the intake/outtake value in the inside of camper was installed backwards. DH turned it around and works fine now. So much for QC?
Another issue we had was some of the water hoses underneath the kitchen sink were not attached together. Might want to check those to make sure they are firmly attached together.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #19

In away our lucky your gutter joins where it does, mine is right over the door, of course right over the awning and dripped on the steps. Instead of coming here I tried several things, big mistake. Finally I did discover clear RV Silicon, problem solved!!
Old 08-16-2016, 04:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyBug View Post
Had the exact two issues with our new Coachmen...now two years old. Used Flex Seal on gutter crack. Have had no problems.
Black tank flush - turned out the intake/outtake value in the inside of camper was installed backwards. DH turned it around and works fine now. So much for QC?
Another issue we had was some of the water hoses underneath the kitchen sink were not attached together. Might want to check those to make sure they are firmly attached together.
What sort of system do you guys have? I have a black tank flush port on the sewer side higher up.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk