Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #1

Flagstaff thoughts .....

Hello all,
The wife and I have started doing our homework to look at buying an RV.
We have discovered the Flagstaff line and have really begun to like their offering in the 831RLSS and the 831FKSS.
The tow vehicle should not be a concern with either of these models, F-250 4x4 CrewCab FX4 with 6.0L Powerstroke.
It would be our first trailer, and while it is just us right now, we may be adding to the family in the near future. So we are looking at buying large enough for kid and family to go camping.
Any advice, comments, and concerns are welcome.
We are located in East Tennessee an hour from the Smokies with lots of camping areas near our home. So we are looking at the possibility of year around camping.
The trailer is for the wife, being a boy scout of 26 years, give me a sleeping bag and the stars and I am good.
Again thank you for any comments!!
Jon and LeAnn
Powell, TN
BigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:48 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forest River Forums. We are glad you found us.

We have a 2004 Flagstaff 26 RKS and really like it. Read my post entitled "Made A Big Mistake" as it concerns the fact we saw the Rockwood version of the 831RLSS and are trying to convince ourselves we do not need it at this time. Hopefully good sense will prevail, but we did like the layout of that model. It would be great for the two of us.

I have had excellent service from our current model and can't really justify trading it other than to get a new one. We have had no quality issues with it at all.

The one thing we saw in the 831RLSS model that might affect you is the fact the primary bed is the queen bed and, other than the sleeper sofa, we did not see any others. It seems to be set up for two people to live very comfortably, but I am not sure if it would work for a family. If there is a possibility that a little one or little ones might come along, you might want to consider a bunkhouse model.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:22 PM   #3

Hi BigJon,

Welcome to the forum.

You have a tough decision there. When the wife and I were shopping for a new trailer, we looked at the same floorplans as the 831RLSS and the 831FKSS, but in a Rockwood models(8314SS and 8315SS).

I liked the rear living of the 8314SS(831RLSS) and the wife(DW) loved the large amount of counter space and cabinet storage of the 8315SS(831FKSS).

As you can tell by my signature on the bottom, she won out with the 8315SS.

We sometimes take our 1 grandson(10 yo.) and 2 step-grandsons(8 & 12 yo.) with us. We utilize the sofa bed and dinette for there sleeping arraignment. Of course, they don't camp with us all that often, so it is no big problem with the roomy front kitchen. I think if they camped with us more often, a bunkhouse model would give them their own space.

Good luck with your decision,

P.S. ...I have come to like the front kitchen model.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:17 PM   #4

Oh boy.
The wife and I went and looked at more trailers and well we keep coming back to the Flagstaff model.
We have decided on the Flagstaff 831RLSS now to get a couple more things paid off before we pull the trigger.
Went and looked at it over and over again, thinking that we are missing something.
How can this trailer be priced at $22,495 and have everything it does?
Waiting is harder than looking, but the wife controls all the money and knows when we can pull the trigger!!!!
Thanks for your input guys!!
BigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Wife controls all the money and knows when we can pull the trigger!!!!

I hear you, BigJon. Look at the photo. My banker is standing next to me.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote