Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 01:08 PM   #1

Forest River 5th Wheel Pecking Order

Greetings! Looking to buy my first 5th wheel to do some full timing in and I'm amazed at all the brands here!! Is there a "pecking order" to the brands in terms of quality, purpose (full timing), luxury, amenities, etc. Kind of like a Chevy vs a Cadillac.

We want to do more boon-docking than staying in RV parks...so there's the consideration of rougher roads. I'm also a music buff and want a good quality sound system in the rig...but I haven't come across any brand that focuses much on that amenity...better speakers, sub-woofer, amps, surround sound, etc. Also, we love the lazy boy rocker-recliners that some of the brands offer.

We've been looking at Cedar Creek but they don't make anything in a 29" range...so we looked at their Silverback sub brand but there are a lot less amenities in the brand and there seems to be a bit less quaility in the build quality.

So...is there anyone here who might help me with this? Thanks in advance...

Sandy
smarks1632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #2

Actually CC and Silverback are assembled on the same line in the same plant. The difference is options on a SB are usually standard on a Creek. The differences are actually minimal. Same frame design, same insulation, different cabinet and interiot colors, and different floor plans. Either one will give you years of outstanding service. My own 10 year old Creek has been flawless since new. If I were to buy a new trailer today it would be another Cedar Creek or a Northwood Arctic Fox. There is just none better IMHO.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Hello and Welcome.
Cedar Creeks are nice, so are Cardinals and Blue Ridge (in the FR lineup). A lot will depend on what your plans are, how long are your stays, and how often you're going to move.

One thing we've found out is that it is the details of everyday living that you don't necessarily think about when you're looking at the camper. We live in our Hemisphere 282 RK approximately 3/4 of the time. Now it's a great unit, fits our lifestyle etc. However after several months I started to be discontent with a few things.
Things I never would've even thought about like
Cabinet hinges. Most units have exterior exposed hinges which are really really cheap. Better quality with residential type hidden hinges (which means the cabinets and doors have to be a better quality and more sturdy).

Ample room to put on clothes in the bed room. Walking through the trailer and even the first few months is not a big deal, then one day I realized I had migrated to the living room to get dressed in the morning for work because I couldn't comfortable get dressed in the bedroom.

These are the kinds of things that after awhile, just become nuisances and you learn to live with.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, forest river, wheel