Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Sure did. Although, I'm not loaded like you and settled for a Georgetown. You going to be in Goshen this year? Look forward to sipping a beverage with you again!
Yep, we'll be there, going to try and volunteer again this year if FROG Bob will allow us, we had a great time working the event last year

Nice coach by the way

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:34 PM   #22

The reason issue here is why would anybody ever buy a camper from Camping World?

The only reason I'd go to camping world is to look at a camper so I can buy it elsewhere for less.

My CW sucks and has very little spare parts on-hand. They even ran out of Dicor once. How the heck do you run out of Dicor or roof vents? Oh sure, they can order it for me but I can do that cheaper and faster online.

I hope all manufacturers severe their ties with CW. They don't deserve to sell 'em as far as I'm concerned. They are the Wal-Mart of the camping industry except for the low prices thing.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:26 AM   #23

I guess the reason is you can find the lowest price at CW if you look and negotiate. A discounter far away may be a little less but has little or no service and especially limited warranty service. No one came closer than $800 on my last purchase and to save that I'd have had to travel 1200 miles and surely would not have returned for any service. The delivery cost to CW was that much or more from Indiana to my location. No manufacturer will sever their ties with the largest dealer in the US~~ and they are growing.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:09 AM   #24

Seeing how Marcus Limonis bought Camping World. I wonder if he and Warren Buffet get along ? Do you think either of them could be bothered reading this forum? If I owned FR you bet I would read the comments.
ron377ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:46 AM   #25

Talking

Yep Tom Raper sold to cw last fall. Stopped in last month to check out a camper. The sales person could not answer questions I had. So they went for help and I was heading for the door when they came back out. I ask where is the fr at, we dont carry then here. I said thanks for your time, can we show you something else. NOPE

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I guess the reason is you can find the lowest price at CW if you look and negotiate. A discounter far away may be a little less but has little or no service and especially limited warranty service. No one came closer than $800 on my last purchase and to save that I'd have had to travel 1200 miles and surely would not have returned for any service. The delivery cost to CW was that much or more from Indiana to my location. No manufacturer will sever their ties with the largest dealer in the US~~ and they are growing.
Yes they will if the customer base is complaining about service and warranty work on their units. I have seen this done on earthmoving machines costing way more than our campers and motor homes. Where the selling dealers lost his franchise on selling that brand for providing poor service to the customer base.

When we purchased our Cedar Creek last year there where two dealers at the Chicago RV show selling our unit. One was Camping World and the other was a small local dealer Timber View. After talking to the sales representative from Camping World, I did not have a warm and fuzzy feeling over the information coming from him. I finally got him to admit that he did not work at that CW store and was from out of state. His store did not handle the Cedar Creeks models and he really did not know anything about them. Also the CW show price was higher than Timber Views selling price. So we ended up purchasing from Timber View best thing we did.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
*Shrug* don't let the screen door hit ya in the butt CW

I would never, in a million years, consider buying a RV at Camping World! Too many bad experienced when we were shopping and too many horror stories on this forum.
My hubby and o feel the same, we don't buy from CW, because of bad deals and lack of reliable customer service and I see way too many complaints from CW customers. We've had great CS from FR and with our local dealer, and when I local dealers has dropped the ball a few times we contact FR directly and they take care of it. If FR and CW part ways It would be my bet that it is FR that pulls out because of bad service from CW
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:39 PM   #28

No builder will voluntarily pull out of the biggest retailer in the country. The MB SC store sells more than 1200 units annually, many FR. With about 130 stores that is a lot of units for any builder. The way CW is buying dealers ..........
Old 01-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Could not beat the CW price within 1150 miles on my last 3 RVs. Great timely service.
Same here. After much negotiation with CW and FR dealers, ordered what we wanted and drove to Chicago from southern MO to pick it up. It pays to dicker and CW won. On a darker note, their warranty work sucked!!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #30

I bought from CW in Indy and l was charged $ 800+ for supposed check out of MH. DID NOT HAPPEN. Later received a CW refund due to action from Indiana Attorney General law suit for $84. Smarter this time.
BOBVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #31

CW, Charlotte gave me the best deal we have ever received this week. So far they have treated us well.
Cumminz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #32

Excess? Over inventory? Economy improving? Campsites FULL. Really?!
Delays in getting transporters out of Goshen?
Have you been there recently?? Me thinks not.
CW will tell you anything. In fact, Mr Lamonis has said, sales of rv's is a means to the end; PROFITS. That comes from SERVICE; WARRANTIES;
SERVICE PLANS; ACCESSORIES; TRIP INSURANCE; GOOD SAM CLUB MEMBERSHIP; ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE and on and on.

His father was a car dealer. I was in that bz for 35+ years. Retired from Ford Credit where as a Branch Manager I was charged with teaching dealers how to make $$ to survive and profit. Selling NEW CARS ONLY would kill your wallet FAST!

It's the after sale that keeps the boat afloat. Used to be financing was a HUGE PART. But think about it; zero % for 7 years? How in the world would there be successful dealers? Cars are being sold just a few hundred dollars over cost to the dealer....competition.

Try going into a CW store and not being sold an updated Good Sam Club membership. You'll grasp the model very quickly.

BTW....an acquaintance was a JAYCO dealer for years. Said he "used to love their quality"....not so much anymore.

Bottom line: get the unit that fits your lifestyle. ENJOY IT. Repair or replace bad parts and keep on moving 😂
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #33

SilverbackMel- you're spot on.

I was 25 years in the dealership and now since over 10 years at a supplier.
what I can say from experience: 1 satisfied customer gets you, if you're lucky, one new customer. but 1 unsatisfied customer cost you in average 10 new customers.
The after sales is, what keeps customers coming back and buying even though your price is a little bit higher with you, because they know, you're in good hands.
But if you screw up the shop work, the customers have no relationship with you and they buy, where they can get the best price.
the difference in the camping section is, that stores are not obligated to do warranty work on every unit- they can say- you didn't buy from us, so we don't take you in- or you can bring it, when I have time. This means knowing this, it's even more important to have a functioning shop with good trained technicians, knowing what to do and how.
CW is counting on the circumstance, that they are so big, that one time in your life, you will purchase something from them. They are so big, that they can care less, if you come back or not. or if you even buy or not.
They live off sales and the service department is more an alibi department, to make new- unknowing and unaware - customers feel better. promising heaven, giving hell. That's Camping World.
I'm healed.
chrisf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #34

I don't know but been hearing here and there dealers are doing well due to people buying and the economy being decent so doubt FR will be hurting just yet. The only thing a few dealers have said is they are short on Technicians to repair RV's, but that seems to happen as some of the Techs jump around, auto industry had that back in the 90's but things stabilized.

As long as the economy, Jobs, loans remain ok the RV industry will get by.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #35
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Best news I've heard. Who need CW surly not FR. I also would never buy from them or Campers Inn. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Best news I've heard. Who need CW surly not FR. I also would never buy from them or Campers Inn. Later RJD
CW is most likely the biggest outlet FR or anyone else has.

Tags
forest river, vent