Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 04-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #1

Forest River warranty

What does the FR 1st year warranty cover? Bumper to bumper, or just a few components? Also, has anyone bought the 1-year extended warranty from FR? If so, what does that cover?

We're picking up our new Flagstaff tomorrow. Dealer hasn't mentioned the mfg warranty, but wants to sell a 3rd-party extended one. It's too expensive so we're looking for alternatives.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
My understanding it that during the first year, it covers most defects.
Most things, like adjusting stuff is usually only covered for a short time...so get things fixed during your PDI, or ASAP.
Many other things, such as flooring, roof, appliances are also covered by each manufacturer's warranty...which can be for many years.

PS...I've NEVER purchased an extended warranty on any new RV I've purchased. (never needed it either)

2014 Jayco Whitehawk 24 RBS
2004 Nissan Titan LE, 4x4
Equal-i-zer hitch
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:36 AM   #3

One thing that is very limited are brakes shoes, If there is a problem in the early part of the warranty time frame the mechanic at the dealer has to prove to the manufacture that there was an issue with the brakes prior to or shortly there after delivery to you. I had a problem with my brakes and Forest River toke care of it under warranty. The problem I had is that every time I applied the brakes both left wheels would lock up on the camper, the end result was that the brakes were not adjusted properly from the factory so the dealer had to replace both sets of shoes. The mechanic said that the manufactures normally do not cover brakes shoes.... Well it looks like I got lucky.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to SSport
I got the 2nd year warranty from FR. It covers everything the 1st year does, and for $150, I figured it was a good security blanket even if I didn't have to use it.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport View Post
I got the 2nd year warranty from FR. It covers everything the 1st year does, and for $150, I figured it was a good security blanket even if I didn't have to use it.

So when we pick up new Trailer do we ask the dealer about the extended warranty from them or will they tell us? If they don't do we call the factory?

irv2.com National rally... Dundee, Ohio
June14-20, 2009
toshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiba View Post
So when we pick up new Trailer do we ask the dealer about the extended warranty from them or will they tell us? If they don't do we call the factory?
Ask your dealer first. In my case he covered the cost of the 2nd year as part of my deal. Maybe you can talk yours into doing that. Otherwise, I believe there is a form in the information packet you should receive to get it. It has been practice that FR would allow purchase of the second year as long as the first year was still in force, even though the form had a 10 day time limit on it.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #7

thanks .. when we go up to Elkhart to pick it up i hope in a few weeks i will remember to look for it ...

irv2.com National rally... Dundee, Ohio
June14-20, 2009
toshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #8

I think the second year mfg warranty is a good deal for $150. Be sure you insist on it at the dealer if you want it. The dealer I bought from threw in an insurance policy (that's what 2nd party extended warranties are anyway) but I've never used it.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #9

I just bought a new 2009 Sandpiper 332 RLD. I have done the walk thru and delivery date is May 16th to our lake spot.
I opted for the 2nd year of Forest River Warranty. My dealer charged me $250. I have the sheet of coverage and looks like about everything. He says the official one will be coming in the mail shortly from Forest River.
I don't know if he made a $100 bucks on me, but I got about all I could out of him, with awning changes, slide awnings, covers, etc discounted or sold at his cost according to him.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to SSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
I just bought a new 2009 Sandpiper 332 RLD. I have done the walk thru and delivery date is May 16th to our lake spot.
I opted for the 2nd year of Forest River Warranty. My dealer charged me $250. I have the sheet of coverage and looks like about everything. He says the official one will be coming in the mail shortly from Forest River.
I don't know if he made a $100 bucks on me, but I got about all I could out of him, with awning changes, slide awnings, covers, etc discounted or sold at his cost according to him.
You my friend....just got taken for $100.