Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #1

Forest River warranty

What does the FR 1st year warranty cover? Bumper to bumper, or just a few components? Also, has anyone bought the 1-year extended warranty from FR? If so, what does that cover?

We're picking up our new Flagstaff tomorrow. Dealer hasn't mentioned the mfg warranty, but wants to sell a 3rd-party extended one. It's too expensive so we're looking for alternatives.
catmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
My understanding it that during the first year, it covers most defects.
Most things, like adjusting stuff is usually only covered for a short time...so get things fixed during your PDI, or ASAP.
Many other things, such as flooring, roof, appliances are also covered by each manufacturer's warranty...which can be for many years.

PS...I've NEVER purchased an extended warranty on any new RV I've purchased. (never needed it either)

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:36 AM   #3

One thing that is very limited are brakes shoes, If there is a problem in the early part of the warranty time frame the mechanic at the dealer has to prove to the manufacture that there was an issue with the brakes prior to or shortly there after delivery to you. I had a problem with my brakes and Forest River toke care of it under warranty. The problem I had is that every time I applied the brakes both left wheels would lock up on the camper, the end result was that the brakes were not adjusted properly from the factory so the dealer had to replace both sets of shoes. The mechanic said that the manufactures normally do not cover brakes shoes.... Well it looks like I got lucky.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to SSport
I got the 2nd year warranty from FR. It covers everything the 1st year does, and for $150, I figured it was a good security blanket even if I didn't have to use it.
SSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport View Post
I got the 2nd year warranty from FR. It covers everything the 1st year does, and for $150, I figured it was a good security blanket even if I didn't have to use it.

So when we pick up new Trailer do we ask the dealer about the extended warranty from them or will they tell us? If they don't do we call the factory?

irv2.com National rally... Dundee, Ohio
June14-20, 2009
toshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiba View Post
So when we pick up new Trailer do we ask the dealer about the extended warranty from them or will they tell us? If they don't do we call the factory?
Ask your dealer first. In my case he covered the cost of the 2nd year as part of my deal. Maybe you can talk yours into doing that. Otherwise, I believe there is a form in the information packet you should receive to get it. It has been practice that FR would allow purchase of the second year as long as the first year was still in force, even though the form had a 10 day time limit on it.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #7

thanks .. when we go up to Elkhart to pick it up i hope in a few weeks i will remember to look for it ...

irv2.com National rally... Dundee, Ohio
June14-20, 2009
toshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
Site Team

I think the second year mfg warranty is a good deal for $150. Be sure you insist on it at the dealer if you want it. The dealer I bought from threw in an insurance policy (that's what 2nd party extended warranties are anyway) but I've never used it.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #9

I just bought a new 2009 Sandpiper 332 RLD. I have done the walk thru and delivery date is May 16th to our lake spot.
I opted for the 2nd year of Forest River Warranty. My dealer charged me $250. I have the sheet of coverage and looks like about everything. He says the official one will be coming in the mail shortly from Forest River.
I don't know if he made a $100 bucks on me, but I got about all I could out of him, with awning changes, slide awnings, covers, etc discounted or sold at his cost according to him.
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
I just bought a new 2009 Sandpiper 332 RLD. I have done the walk thru and delivery date is May 16th to our lake spot.
I opted for the 2nd year of Forest River Warranty. My dealer charged me $250. I have the sheet of coverage and looks like about everything. He says the official one will be coming in the mail shortly from Forest River.
I don't know if he made a $100 bucks on me, but I got about all I could out of him, with awning changes, slide awnings, covers, etc discounted or sold at his cost according to him.
You my friend....just got taken for $100.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport View Post
You my friend....just got taken for $100.
Thats normal for me!

I called Elkhart's Forest River Service Center 574-534-3167
and talked to a Casey, she said they increased the price of the second year's warranty June 16, 2007. So anyone getting it for less, is getting even better deal.
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #12

Just brought home a 2008 Cherokee and the dealer said he didn't know anything about a 2nd yr. warranty. So I looked thro the paperwork in the unit and found the form to send to FR. Cost was $150. Dealer wanted to sell me 7yrs. for $1200.
Then found the original order/purchase form from FR issued to the dealer. Now I know exactly what the dealer paid for my unit. Happy to say I did aok, phew!
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
Thats normal for me!

I called Elkhart's Forest River Service Center 574-534-3167
and talked to a Casey, she said they increased the price of the second year's warranty June 16, 2007. So anyone getting it for less, is getting even better deal.
That's weird. I have talked to many people who have paid $100 a few years back and I just got my 2nd year warranty on my new rig less than a month ago. I called FR and they told me $150. That's exactly what I paid. Strange.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #14

From a previous post...

I purchased my unit in July 2007 and declined at the dealership for the third party extended warranty. I think the third party warranty was $1000 - $2000 and extended the warranty from up to 3 to 7 years. The dealer gave me a big envelope full of all of the installed manufacturer items and a lot of the manufacturers offered their own extended warranties.

I opted for these extra coverages as it was overall less expensive.

Forest River itself had an additional 12 month warranty $150.00 U.S.
which covered Suspension System & Axles, Frame, Floor, Refrigerator, Power Converter, Range, Interior Cabinet Frame Face & Sides, Windows, Water Heater, Water Pump, TV Antenna, Furnace, Awning, Microwave, Steps, LP Tanks, Tires, Exterior Entrance Door, Jacks, Roof Membrane, Slide Out Mechanism, Toilet, Air Conditioner, Furniture, Valances, Mattress, Stereo & Speakers. Listed above is all covered for 2-years from my date of purchase with exception to what is listed below.

Dometic offered 3+3 warranty on the Air Conditioner providing an extra 3 years on top of its original warranty for $130.00 to which my coverage now expires in 2013.

Suburban offered an extended warranty on its furnace to which I can not remember the cost but it was super cheap (I think $50.00 or so) and it extended the warranty until 2014.

I went through all the manufacturer documents that came with the unit and made a database in my computer listing all products and their warranty expiry dates. I also made copies of the payments that I sent in for any additional coverages.

2013 Camping Days: 22
2012 89 2011 50 2010 61
OregonCamper's Pics click here
OregonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote