Old 01-19-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
Forest River Wildcat or Prime Time Crusader?

We have been tent camping up to now but with retirement right around the corner we’re ready to upgrade to a 5th wheel. After looking at a gazillion floor plans, we've narrowed it down to two we like best of the 2015 models: (1) Forest River Wildcat 295RSX and (2) Prime Time Crusader 295RST.

Does anyone know how these two compare on quality and why you would choose one over the other? The Wildcat has more features that we like, but the Crusader has a 4 point auto leveling system that I didn't see was even an option on the Wildcat. How important is auto leveling? We would appreciate anyone’s opinions and advice.

John & Nancy
5er Owners Wannabe
JohnandNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:52 PM   #2
We have a Crusader 325RES - love it!!

The auto level is a must have for us - wish it was six point instead of four but still a great tool !!

We think the Crusader is a higher level of quality of build compared to a Wildcat but that is our opinion and you know that opinions are like
a$$0les and everyone has one 😉

heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:28 PM   #3

I can't address Prime Time but I had a lot of issues with my 14 Wildcat 313RE. After 7 months and numerous issues the dealer bought it back. In my opinion Wildcat has quality control issues (or mine was built on a Friday afternoon). I loved the layout and the way it pulled. Would I buy another one? Perhaps but only after going over everything with a fine tooth comb (crooked and stripped screws, slide outs never did work without peeling wood from the underside, staples through the walls, a 12v ground was hooked to a sheet metal screw,main water line was cross threaded and such). I believe the right dealer is essential. There are good and not so good in all of them.

I Really like the lay out of the 295RSX. I really like the color scheme and wood appearance. Great storage as well. Absolutely run everything on ac and dc, hook up water, use the pumps and check everything out on all systems if you go that route.

Good luck on your quest.

2014 Silverback 29RE, 2014 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 Hemi 6.4 auto w/ airbags, B&W Companion. Saltwater boats and rum like any good pirate.

Loose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #4
The auto level I do believe is a option on the Wildcat. Now that being said we have a Wildcat and are more than pleased with it.

As for auto level features, I don't want it. I had auto level systems on all of our diesel pushers. And when they work right they are great. But, when they don't......well lets just say I don't currently mind doing a manual level even being in my 60th year of life.

Guess I'm just a firm believer in the KISS Principle......"Keep it simple, stupid"
2013 Ford F350 FX4 4x4 PSD
2013 Wildcat 353LS

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:30 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
I've owned both a Primetime Lacrosse 301rls TT and a Wildcat 327ck 5er. They both are great companies with a lot of high end features in a mid price unit. Primetime is a newer division of Forest River and are trying hard to make it right. When at Goshen they were at our Lacrosse checking out everything to insure we were happy with the unit.
The Wildcat is also top notch features and quality in a mid-priced unit. They also came out to fix all the minor defects at Goshen and went above & beyond to please us.
Both would be great choices, so I would say the layout would be the deciding choice.
Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
2015 129 nites
2016 40 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:32 PM   #6
One more item, the level up auto leveling is the berries...

2014 Silverback 29RE, 2014 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 Hemi 6.4 auto w/ airbags, B&W Companion. Saltwater boats and rum like any good pirate.

Loose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #7
Run the slides in and out 3or4 times. Check under the slides for wear. I have a 295rst. Other than the two larger slides wearing underneath on the corners i only had minor problems that i was able to fix.
whiteyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #8
Site Team
There are not many of us here who can compare two different units detail for detail since most of us have experience with one or the other. I did hours of internet study looking for particular features and chose our 295RSX. I liked the 50 gallon waste tanks (our last trailer had 28s). I liked the idea of a radiant barrier on the roof. I loved the width of the living room with both big slides out - this for our grandkids who visit us sometimes when we camp. I like the fact that there's no step-up beside the bed. I like the storage and the water/sewer/cable/satellite stuff in a single place. I like the rounded ceiling and the air conditioner units without bottom-installed return air grates (returns for both units are in the ceiling near the side walls - so they seem quieter). I like the rounded, track-mounted shower doors that don't swing out into a rather small bathroom. I like the big TV and the electric fireplace/heater. I like the large, full-door pantry. I like LED lights inside and out... and, and, and.

I don't need or even want the self-leveling system. It takes me very little time to level the trailer. My b-i-l has a self-leveling system and operates it manually every time since he can't get it to work right automatically. I realize that's his problem because I think I could make it work right but there's no helping him!

Build quality problems? YES. Once my wife said, "I just love this trailer except for all the things wrong with it!" We left it with the dealership about two weeks before we took it home - and it's at the dealership now. The dealership fixed a problem with the entertainment center/kitchen slide cutting the flooring when it went out. Their main "hard to fix" problem is a leak in the wardrobe slide that will now drip water in the bathroom floor starting about 8 hours after a rain. I was upset with all of this for the 1st couple of months... but I'm satisfied now that I bought what works well for DW and me.

I'd recommend the 295RSX as long as you're willing to manage the correction of some problems.
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 74 (booked = 11)
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #9
Crusader or Wildcat?

Hi, I happen to sell both models and can tell you that they're both good, there are differences though. Prime Time has a thorough inspection before they ship their RVs. Wildcat has an arched roof and higher interior ceilings than the Crusader, Wildcat also has a drop frame and more cargo room due to its unique frame. They are both good and similarly priced.
MJAlbuquerqueRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:18 PM   #10
Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Known problem with slide bottoms tearing on the Prime Time. Many have posted on this forum and Prime Time has not responded or acknowledged there is an issue. Out of warranty and your out of luck. If it has the Darco wrap which is a woven fabric it will tear and the ends of the slide will get wet and rot. I would like for MJAlbuquerque RV to give us information on what the sees on the bottom of the slide and how they have approached repairs.

Look for a post by Platokidd who started the post "Slideout/Underside wearing"

Last response from PrimeTime was by RVGuy in September 2013, One of his comments was:
1) Darco wrapped - This design is primarily used on Crusader and Sanibel sofa/dinette superslides. Basically, we wrap and glue the underside of the wood floor in a breathable, durable fabric that provides protection to the underside of the floor. This material is commonly called Darco. A huge percentage of the industry uses this application. It's lightweight and durable, but does have a tendency to tear and rip."

His comment that the Darco is used by a huge percentage by the industry is false. He also said they are transitioning away from it.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote

cat, crusader, forest river, prime time, wildcat