Old 01-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Cool FR XLR Electrical

H, I'm new to this FR forum , and not sure if this is where I should be to ask a question. I just bought a new 2011 FR XLR with 50 amp. power. My question is if the campground pedestal is wired at 220 volts, and my dealer says my RV dist. panl. is 110 volts, do I have one leg of the RV cord capped off before it connects to the RV pnl. or is it 220volts at the pnl. with a split bus pnl. and one leg wired for the regular main loads and the other leg for higher load demands.
Thanks much,Earl

zram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member
You will be ok. The Voltage at the campground will be a double pole 50 amp breaker but will also have a neutral with it. Basically it's (2) 50 amp single 120 volt feeds. That's why there are 4 prongs on the end of the cord.
240volt has no neutral, just a ground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	!B+ndg5!!2k~$(KGrHqEOKnIEz1IRiFcHBN!PEHKcYQ~~_12.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	4256
This is a typical RV 50 amp Plug. 4 prongs ( 2 power, 1 neutral, 1 ground)

Name:   3d99_12.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  2.7 KB
This is a typical 50 amp Plug for a welder. 3 prongs ( 2 power, 1 ground)

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
Hello and thanks for a quick reply, but my question was if the campground feed is 220v and the RV panel is 110v, where does the change in voltage occur? in the shore cord? or at the panel?......E.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
It changes at the breaker pannel in the trailer, to answer your question. If you look at the breaker box you will see two single pole 50amp breakers. One runs the left side of the box the other the right side of the box. Each breaker is 110 rated at 50amps. All camping elect. is really only 110 its not like in a house. When you plug into a 30 amp campground outlet it does the same thing as the 50 but with less power. At home I use an adpter pluging my 50 amp trailer into house 20 amp. I can run everything in the trailer but not at the same time. Hope this helps.
3500 Ram 5.9l diesel
08 35 RLT Cardinal
5th Airborne Pin Box
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Smile Electrical Question

Thank You, Cardinal4fun. I've not had a chance to look in the panel yet, as we're getting it monday. I've been searching on line and you'd be surprised at some of the ????? ideas that some people have. Your answer says it all.Have in your Cardinal ~ Earl
Old 01-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Question Another Electrical Question

This question concerns our converter. Our new RV, 38'XLR w/ 50amp service was advertised as having a 100amp converter. It came w/ a 55amp converter. It has at least 2 dozen lites, 3 fantastic fans, furnace, and other various DC controls etc. Other than the difference in price of the 100amp over the 55amp[about $150.00] should I be concerned about the performance of the one I got? Online I found the input of 55amp is 110vac 950w, and the 100amp is 110vac 1620w. Both 100a & 55a have the same 3 stage DC output range. My thought is " if" the 55a is sufficient, if I'm at a 30 amp only campground [which I find a lot] or even at a 50 amp campground, am I better to stay with the smaller one? Maybe I'm reading too much into this. ~ Earl
Old 01-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
Question 5th wheel hitch

The new RV is just around the corner from being picked up. My 5th wheel hitch is a 16K reese. The new RV has a dry weight of 12744 and GVWR of 18000, that makes the CCC at 5256. In all reality I'm probably only going to load bike at 800, golf cart at 900 or so, and personal stuff 500 or so I think. I'm kind of thinking I'll be well under the 18000 GVWR. My dealer [who is also a friend] says the hitches are all underrated and i'd be safe w/ my 16K hitch. Is anyone out there knowledgable in this field, and willing to share their opinion? Thanks, Earl
2009 Silverado C.C. Diesel,long bed dually,4X4
2011 XLR 3510 ToyHauler
2006 StreetGlide, big bore
2000 EZGO custom, lifted, 14 hp
Old 01-23-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
this is what the 50 amp service looks like in my cardnal. the bar across the two 50 amp mains means they work together ie one side throws the other throws. it is made for a 220 volt input. when u adapt to a 30 amp service, it supplies both legs with 110 from the same campground breaker. right now, there is nothing on 220 in the trailer. in the future, there could be.
where u can get into a problem with this is using one of those boxes that pluggs into two campground outlets that supplies each leg in the trailer with its own 110v. if the voltage is of the same phase, the neutral has to carry the amps from both legs back. if they are out of phase (220 between the legs), the neutral carries current only when there is an imbalance.
the 4th wire is a ground which is isolated from the neutral in the trailer (in the home, they come off the same point). the extra wire is needed because the trailer is considered a sub panel.
its like ur home in that 220 is supplied to ur house but it is seperated into 2 110 circuits.

basicly, the explamations above are valid. what has the potential of getting u in trouble is one of those 50 adapters that uses 2 sources. if u plug one of these adapters into a 20 amp (breaker protected) service and the other into a 30 amp (breaker protected) service, u will be ok. i have one of those adapters pictured below.

jimh is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel