Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #1

Frame manufacturer?

Who makes the frames for Forest river 5ers? Specifically the Sabre line. Anyone know?
Deleted Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
mbo

lippert
mbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #3

this is the frame that is being rumored to have MANY problems correct? I need to keep my eye on this?
Deleted Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
mbo

lippert says frames are built to specs of company buying frames. The bulk of frames out there are built by lippert. We just hear of problems, not satisfied customers. Some say disgruntled customers should band together and file a class action lawsuit against lippert. Must not be bad enough to start anything yet?
mbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbo View Post
lippert says frames are built to specs of company buying frames. The bulk of frames out there are built by lippert. We just hear of problems, not satisfied customers. Some say disgruntled customers should band together and file a class action lawsuit against lippert. Must not be bad enough to start anything yet?
its like this
take our military they contract a piece of gear to meet x specification

then the military gets the gear and decides HEY lets add some crap on to it
then its to heavy and breaks....

this is what happens with most rv builders, they spec out a frame to carry x weight and perform to x standard....then the weight piles on by them or us, which the later, is usually the case
I loaded my cedar creek 36rlts fiver, to many pounds over its stickered gvwr
i ran max weight on the axles all the time from day one and a super heavy pin of 2700-3100 lbs.... it had a gvwr to 13800lbs
and it never saw less than 14500. and routinely ran at 15500. did it break????? nope but had it, it would have been all my fault

i am not defending lippert....however they do build great products and we only hear about the breakages, not the good jobs
my experience with them first hand has always been superb. even now with the class A, they have been there to step up to bat.
its all a traded off with builders. they want the lightest product so we can get the max fuel mileage or can tow it with a smaller vehicle.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:02 AM   #6

Ok, some time ago I had posted a thread about Lippert frames because of a bad review I had read on another forum. Asking question about where they were made and what manufacturers were using them and on what models, well the thread ended up on a bad note so I dropped It.

I called Lippert and spoke to an engineer and needless to say he was not happy with the phone receptionist that transferring me to him, as I started asking questions the engineer stopped me and wanted to know the lady's name that made the connection between him and I, so I gave the name and he said and I quote" CAN YOU HOLD ON WHILE I SLAP HER" end of quote, I could not believe he said that to me, as I ask the questions he kept telling me he didn't know, so I said to him and I quote "HERE YOU ARE THE THE BRAIN OF THE FRAMES AND YOU DON"T KNOW WHATS GOING ON IN YOUR COMPANY?" end of quote, well he kinda laughed but was reluctant to answer but he did.
The big question was "are Lippert frames made In China" according to the information from the other forum? and the answer is as follows;

I found out from the engineer at Lippert that most of the frame (components) were made over seas and then (shipped to the U.S.) for final assembly some parts are made here in the U.S.

I checked with the service manager where I bought my Forest River to see if It had a Lippert frame and he said no, he said that forest River only uses Lippert frames on some of there models but not all.
I do remember that some of the 5th wheel frames were the ones In question on the other forum but this has been some time ago.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post

I checked with the service manager where I bought my Forest River to see if It had a Lippert frame and he said no, he said that forest River only uses Lippert frames on some of there models but not all.
Agree with the statement that Forest River uses other frames besides Lippert. The frame on my Surveyor is manufactured by Dexter. On the other hand, my axles are made by Lippert.......go figure.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:04 AM   #8

How do you tell who made the frame on a particular fifth wheel? Is there a tag somewhere or some distinguishing design or construction that helps identify it?
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know about 5th wheels, but my bumper pull has a sticker on the inside of the frame near the tongue.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'll check my Rockwood this weekend to see who the supplier was for its frame.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
How do you tell who made the frame on a particular fifth wheel? Is there a tag somewhere or some distinguishing design or construction that helps identify it?
You can ask the service department where you bought your camper, they should know or find out for you , that's what I did.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't realize that this thread was from the 5er forum. Anyways, the frame of my Rockwood TT was built by Dexter.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
camping

our v-lite frame was made by dexter.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #14

"its like this
take our military they contract a piece of gear to meet x specification

then the military gets the gear and decides HEY lets add some crap on to it
then its to heavy and breaks...."

I was a D.O.D contractor for most of my working life. I guess it works the same in industry only with less oversight.
1957 Dodge D100, 315 Poly
Liberty Hill, TX
52Dodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #15
MrT

I haven't crawled around under ours yet (can't wait!), but the stack of documentation that came with the unit included a Dexter frame sheet. It has a lot of Lippert components as well, so the Dexter sheet might be just a standard inclusion with the doc bundle.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel