Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 11:03 AM   #1

Fresh water holding tank

Going camping this weekend at a site that has electric but no water, trying to decide if I should fill the fresh water tank at home or at a water spigot at the campground although that sounds like a pain, not sure how much weight it adds although the trip is only about an hour
NOREASTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #2
Explorer

I always carry a full tank, never know for sure what you’re getting into. Things like 3 days worth of firewood, 4 bikes (that might not be used), 2 kayaks those things bug me just a little.
If 400lb was an issue for me I would have issues to fix. My fresh water is right above my axles and the lowest place on the trailer, the perfect placement of weight. I even believe the correct placement of weight helps in trailering(makes me feel good).
In my trailers I have done over 80,000mls in two trailers with no issues.
All this said you need to know your own equipment, how it’s built and how it’s wearing.
Just my experience/opinion
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #3

I travel with a few gallons on board in case of a pit stop or if something unplanned happens. Then on arrival I fill up. I have an ultra lite trailer with CCC of 1100 lbs so with everything we cram in adding 240 lbs of water would be to much strain. No to mention the gas mileage where I am sure that weight would do something to the gas.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #4

I always travel with full water tank (100 gallons). We stop somewhere we have enough for anything, have stopped to look at antiques and stayed the night on lot . The main reason I carry it been to several campgrounds no water or bad tasting water. If we pull in late or just staying overnight all I connect is the electric. Makes easy out in the morning.
drc343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #5

I have traveled many times with water in the tanks. But at 8lbs per gallon if I can I keep them very low and fill up when I arrive. It slows you down with the excitement of arriving but I think the trailer and truck will thank you in the end with less weight to haul. I do feel the tanks and straps can and have handled it fine.
Wally

Tags
fresh water, tank, water