Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablair View Post
Diesel Engine Risks While Operating in Hazardous Environments | Well Servicing Magazine

Fuel Spill Prevention: San Antonio Refinery Explosion at Loading Rack operating under API RP1004

4261 - Intake Air Shutoff Valves

Crown Petroleum Loading Rack
<< I'll try to find the video of the truck as it literally oversped and blew apart; it is a 'standard' that is shown every few years at one of our monthly safety meetings>>

Yes - I'm in the hydrocarbon business.
Yes, I can see where a heavy concentration of low C number (Methane, Propane. LNG, or gasoline) vapors would cause trouble in diesel engines (to include catastrophic failure and uncontrolled governing) it is unfortunate that the sources quoted did not specify what that concentration might be at the time of failure.

We do not work in refineries (or drive our campers there) where the risk of massive releases of gasoline could occur, but we do frequent gas stations where a large gasoline spill would cause this issue, provided, as quoted in the articles, the diesel was running at the time of the spill. I suspect a destroyed engine would be the least of our problems at that point.

For propane to cause this problem, the density of propane would have to be quite large to generate the density required to continue to run a diesel engine after you turned the key off. The smell alone would have alerted you to a problem long before a combustible concentration could have built up.

I have a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry from Villanova University; was a flight and ground safety officer for two Air Force Wings; trained at the University of Southern California in aircraft accident investigation; and investigated major aircraft accidents including loss of life and frame in the USA and overseas.

While my expertise is NOT (repeat NOT) in refinery safety, I am fully aware of aviation fuel safety and received training in major accident response at the Air Force On-Scene Commander school.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
<snip.
We do not work in refineries (or drive our campers there) where the risk of massive releases of gasoline could occur, but we do frequent gas stations where a large gasoline spill would cause this issue, provided, as quoted in the articles, the diesel was running at the time of the spill. I suspect a destroyed engine would be the least of our problems at that point.

<snip>

You're right; and this is why I do NOT run my engine while refueling at a service station with gasoline. But, have no such concern with running my refrigerator.

Impressive resume! I suspected as much...

BTW: the flammable range for gasoline is 1.4% - 7.6% in air at STP. Higher temperature widens the range. Higher pressure raises the range to higher values.
kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #23

Engine overspeed is what took out the oil rig in the Gulf.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #24

Yikes scary stuff, I,m going to drive with my engine off in future and never fill up at gas stations

Jokes aside it makes you think, for those with diesels like me, how many times I have waited in line, behind a gasser, to get to the solitary diesel pump with engine running. Then the chap in front is filling up with gas, has a mental moment and spills gas all over the floor in front of me! Turn engine off, no good, hit reverse, run like crazy. I guess some quick thinking would be required, grab fire extinguisher and smother the spill but my guess that woould be too late!

Any suggestions?

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post
Yikes scary stuff, I,m going to drive with my engine off in future and never fill up at gas stations

Jokes aside it makes you think, for those with diesels like me, how many times I have waited in line, behind a gasser, to get to the solitary diesel pump with engine running. Then the chap in front is filling up with gas, has a mental moment and spills gas all over the floor in front of me! Turn engine off, no good, hit reverse, run like crazy. I guess some quick thinking would be required, grab fire extinguisher and smother the spill but my guess that woould be too late!

Any suggestions?
Like we do in Oklahoma when a tornado gets too close.....a 3 step process.....
1...BEND OVER
2...GRAB YOUR ANKLES
3...KISS YOR A** GOODBYE
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBFIDY View Post
Like we do in Oklahoma when a tornado gets too close.....a 3 step process.....
1...BEND OVER
2...GRAB YOUR ANKLES
3...KISS YOR A** GOODBYE

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Old 06-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #27

So, how do you run your refrig on propane when traveling? Just leave it on auto or switch to something else?
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemj View Post
So, how do you run your refrig on propane when traveling? Just leave it on auto or switch to something else?

Ours, we just leave on auto never touch it, unless for example you go on a ferry and have to turn off the propane then we have to turn propane on, switch fridge to off for a few seconds then back to auto.