3. Convince the target consumer it's the "in" thing to own
4. Don't ever mention its deficiencies
5. Sit back and collect your money

2015 XLR415AMP
2011 3500HD Duramax/Allison/90 Gal Aux
2015 HD Limited Low
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #12
Don't mention any building code/health/safety/zoning issues either!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
nights camped 2015-89
2016 - 31
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #13
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
Don't mention any building code/health/safety/zoning issues either!
But most of them are 20-somethings. Those things don't matter to them.

Actually my niece and a couple of my staff have considered a tiny house. Some of the attraction is the fad factor, but at least 2 of them talk about growing up with less (post 2008 crash era), appreciating minimalist things (i.e. living close to nature) and (more likely) having lots of student loans.

2016 Coachmen Chaparral 390QSMB
2011 F350- CC, DRW, LB, PSD

2016 nights camped: 40
VizJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #14
I'm surprised it's taken this long for this subject to show up here. My wife and I watch the show sometimes and marvel at the short sightedness IMHO of these things and the people who have them built.
twiggw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #15
I've watched these shows and have always wondered why they don't just buy an RV? They don't have any of slide outs which us RV 'ers know give us soooo much more living space.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:55 PM   #16
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
Yes, the Millenniums are discovering the "tiny house". Back in the 70s, my wife and I lived in one we towed around the western USA following jobs. I think it was called a park model. 35 footer... no holding tanks. It was fun until our son needed to start school. Then we sold it and took a regular job. Some of our fondest memories.
It would be unthinkable to me now, but we towed it everywhere (even the mountains) with a 1965 1/2 ton Chevy 4x4.
A real truck???? We towed a 30' camper with a Plymouth Fury in the 70s.
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2016 F350 diesel
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:55 PM   #17
I have wondered the same things as everybody else and it leads me to conclude that reality shows are far from real. In one Tiny House episode it appeared the bathroom sink hanging on the wall had no plumbing attached. I rewound the DVR and confirmed it did not water lines or drain piping. There is never any mention of water-sewer connections or other mechanical systems. Although they can be kind of cool, these houses seem nothing more than glorified playhouses.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:59 PM   #18
Reality Shows.....where almost naked beautiful people get flown to an island where they observe odd rituals like..........well, I don't know exactly, never actually watched such a show!

But that ain't reality. It ain't MY reality anyway.

I call that stuff "Unscripted TV", but not "reality tv". I do know they'll put dang near anything on TV. And I can only imagine the drugs passed around the table when Thinkers sit around and try to decide what type of show to come up with next!!!
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man"Calvin Coolidge
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #19
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
In one Tiny House episode it appeared the bathroom sink hanging on the wall had no plumbing attached.
You don't need to search very hard to find posts of a few new trailer at the campground episodes here where the plumbing wasn't connected either.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #20
We have been watching the growth and popularity of "tiny houses" for several years now and finally decided a way to make it work for us thus really simplifying our lifestyle. We live full time in a 502 square foot "tiny house" which is complete with full size bedroom, living room, kitchen large bathroom complete with washer and dryer. Park right alongside is our 32' Coachmen 5th wheel with three slides and of course all the other amenities. We purchased a lot in an RV resort where we site built our "tiny house" with enough room alongside to park our 5th wheel. For us this was the best solution as it allows to travel on a whim while having nothing to worry about when we leave. We simply flip a few electrical switches, shut the water off and hit the road. Other than a very minimal HOA fee and minor real estate taxes our living expenses are nil. It's a great life.

Richard & Rosalba Charron
Zephyrhills, FL
2015 Ford F150 Eco Boost
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote