Old 03-26-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
Full time RV vs. tiny house

I was just watching a show on Tiny houses and a couple with 3 young children are looking for a tiny house they can tow around and see the USA. To my understanding they would be better with an towable RV, than something that looks like a shack with a loft. I also don't like the safety factor with their children under 5 climbing a ladder to get to the loft. They ended up with something that I don't believe would be towable with their pickup. Weight was never mentioned when they talked about towing. What is your thoughts.

RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
Well, weight is never an issue as long as they have a 1/2 ton!

I agree, do they not know what an RV is?

2006 2500HD Duramax CCSB 2WD
2014 Crusader 285RET
Nights camped in 2013 - not enough!
Nights camped in 2014 37

Nights camped in 2015 40
Nights camped in 2016 35
Crusadernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
I've seen shows where they build the tiny house onto a gooseneck construction trailer towed by a 1 ton dually... IMO they are more like mobile homes vs. travel trailers... If you take it slow you can move them from one permanent site to another but IMO it would be white knuckles (and low mpg) driving at highway speeds... Plus, without slide-outs they are actually much smaller than a 5er of the same length.

I've seen shows that claim tiny houses appreciate in value compared to RVs which depreciate... They are still a novelty item, so IMO only time will tell. Meanwhile, I would not get to close to one on the highway!
2011 RAM 2500 ST Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
2011 Primetime 3150BHD Touring Edition
Days camped in 2016-36
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #4
Full time RV vs. tiny house

I don't believe the intent is to tow them around every weekend like an RV. Although it may be easier to buy a pre-built travel trailer or fifth wheel, I think part of the appeal is the look of a home and custom build. A lot of these people build these houses themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:26 PM   #5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
I have to chuckle when they say they are going to park it on some land that a friend has until they know for sure what they are going to do. Nobody ever mentions about water, sewer and electric hookups either.
pacin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:42 PM   #7
Location: Home of the 4 time Super Bowl Champions Patriots and we'll be there again
Just another facet of Reality TV
Mary and Me
2015 2650s

2015 Jeep Cherokee
n-e-d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:38 AM   #8
Yeah your right, they never mention sewer water or power. I want to tell these people"buy an rv".

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ugaoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #9
Yes, the Millenniums are discovering the "tiny house". Back in the 70s, my wife and I lived in one we towed around the western USA following jobs. I think it was called a park model. 35 footer... no holding tanks. It was fun until our son needed to start school. Then we sold it and took a regular job. Some of our fondest memories.
It would be unthinkable to me now, but we towed it everywhere (even the mountains) with a 1965 1/2 ton Chevy 4x4.
2015 Flagstaff Super V 26VFKSS Emerald
2013 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 CTD
Sold... 2013 Shadow Cruiser 260BH
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
I live in two tiny houses. I have a motorhome for winter use and a 'park model' for the summer. My wife loves the 'Tiny Houses' show and we marvel at the expensive tiny, not practical, homes they show. One even didn't have a real toilet, just a chemical one like used in pop-ups. Those tiny house builders need to talk a look at how the RV industry does it. In a small space we have a real kitchen, bathroom, and bed that doesn't have to be stored every morning.

dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote