Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2017, 07:27 AM   #1

Gassing up.

Rookie here so enjoy a chuckle on my behalf. So here I was heading down I-70 with my first camper, 37 feet long. The needle on my fuel gauge I can almost see moving. I must be getting at least 5 gallons/mi in my gas starved engine. I pull off at the next exit and eyeball a couple gas stations to see which I can approach the best. Boy did I get in a tight squeeze and almost ran my camper into one of those concrete ballisters that protect the pumps. A close call but after some jockeying I finally escaped with no damage. Whew! Long story for an easy question. I see some stations that have separate fueling areas for 18 wheelers. Do these areas have gasoline too, or just diesel?

Thanks for any input. I bet there are some good gas station stories out there.

Tom in Wildwood, Mo
tomdeoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:41 AM   #2

Get the Pilot/Flying J app on your phone. Flying J has RV lanes to get either type fuel.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdeoca View Post
Rookie here so enjoy a chuckle on my behalf. So here I was heading down I-70 with my first camper, 37 feet long. The needle on my fuel gauge I can almost see moving. I must be getting at least 5 gallons/mi in my gas starved engine. I pull off at the next exit and eyeball a couple gas stations to see which I can approach the best. Boy did I get in a tight squeeze and almost ran my camper into one of those concrete ballisters that protect the pumps. A close call but after some jockeying I finally escaped with no damage. Whew! Long story for an easy question. I see some stations that have separate fueling areas for 18 wheelers. Do these areas have gasoline too, or just diesel?

Tom in Wildwood, Mo
The separate fueling area for trucks is just diesel. As A32Duece mentioned Flying J stations have a separate area for RVs that have both gas and diesel.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdeoca View Post

Tom in Wildwood, Mo
Been There and done that, but I hit the pole with rear of the trailer, had to replace the bottom metal section, brand new trailer. Now I try not to go in, I start looking for a truck stop at a 1/2 tank. Some times it won't work out, If you need fuel you need fuel, I now pick very carefully.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #5

If it's too tight and there isn't another option, you can always drop the trailer, get your gas, and hook back up.

Been fortunate not to have to do this myself, but I would choose this option over damaging my camper!

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:07 PM   #6

Any other stations besides Pilot/Flying J that offer rv gas/diesel lanes?

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:55 PM   #7

Another option is *most* truck stops (Loves, TA, etc) have larger fuel islands. Not all, and not all of a particular name. That is where Google Maps on satellite view helps me.

2017 Cherokee 294BH
2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4L V8 Crew Cab
Moparman1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #8

We just use the Allstays App and check gas station reviews while traveling. They normally have notes if there is room at the pumps.
freyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Rookie here so enjoy a chuckle on my behalf.
This line says it all.With time,you will be able to get the rig in tight places.
Really that's all that's needed.Time behind the wheel.What you think is too tight will be all the room you need. Our rig is a 42' 5er. It'll go in small stations.I may block another pump, but the savings from the truck stop prices is worth the time to find a station maybe two blocks away.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:52 PM   #10

Daveandsue, thanks for the encouragement. There is no doubt my driving skills will improve. They better!
Old 06-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #11
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
This line says it all.With time,you will be able to get the rig in tight places.
Really that's all that's needed.Time behind the wheel.What you think is too tight will be all the room you need. Our rig is a 42' 5er. It'll go in small stations.I may block another pump, but the savings from the truck stop prices is worth the time to find a station maybe two blocks away.
Some places getting it in to fuel up isn't as much of a problem as getting it out.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:09 PM   #12

You can say that again.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
The separate fueling area for trucks is just diesel. As A32Duece mentioned Flying J stations have a separate area for RVs that have both gas and diesel.

The problem I ran into at a Pilot that had a separate outside lane marked as "RVs" was when I pulled in both pumps in the RV lane were taken by passenger cars. I blocked the entrance while waiting but eventually pulled in and gassed up. The best part was the amount of space available to pull out was incredible.
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #14

I also have the Pilot app. My TV is a diesel and I applied for and got the Pilot RV Plus charge card. This allows fill ups in the truck lanes without having to go inside or the pumps turning off.

The app allows you to filter out the locations with RV lanes. There are not too many locations with RV lanes, at least in the Southeast.
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #15

Hit Flying J for the RV lanes. They are on the App.

Tags
gas