Old 09-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #1

Gel coat cracking in 2009 Silverback

Has anyone had problems with gel coat cracking on their RVs, just as the warranty ran out I found several spider web cracks on my fifer. The gel coat was a real selling point when I bought it! Forest River will repair it this time but, after doing some research I found this is a common problem with gel coat. After talking to the guy who will repair my RV, he told me most of the gel coat cracks are due to problems start at the factory and not being applied correctly. And looking on the net, there seems to be lots of issues with cracking? Anyone repaired it themselves? From what the repair guy said, it can cost about four hundred dollars a crack for him to fix them?? WhewHELP

Old 10-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #2

Well, Forest River will not repair the gel coat on our Silverback, they are telling us that they are impact cracks, hummm, have never had it hit by any objects at all, one crack is on the very top of the fifth wheel, we are not at all happy about it, since two experts who looked at it said they were stress cracks. Has anyone out there had problems with the gel coat spiderweb cracking, we have three spots, two on the front, and one by the door???

Old 10-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #3

Nope. My 2005 CC is flawless. I would really suspect a frame or twisting issue causing the cracks. Or possibly something binding
Old 10-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #4

gel coat cracks

We had an independent fiberglass repair shop look at our Silverback and he concluded that the impact cracks on one side of our coach was caused by something from the inside of the nose cap being hit. So now we have to have the nose cap taken off to determine what is causing the cracks. I must say I don't like gel coat, at least my experience with it. Now our problem is finding someone qualified to remove the nose crack. We are not confident in the dealership where we purchased it. Yikes A fifty thousand dollar coach and this problem is not making me very happy
Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #5

hihosilver09 - just ran across this post. Was your issue ever resolved?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #6

Hey SwJoe, Our issue was resolved we hope, we have had so many problems with our Silverback we hold our breath every time we take it out, They had to rebuild our entire unit back at the factory a year ago. Put gussets in and new tubing, also replaced the axels and tires, however when we got it back the slides wouldn't work another issue, all told our unit was in a shop for a total of 5 months, we have also had many issues with the power awning, I will probably never buy a Forest River product again, the quality is very poor considering the price we paid for it. There just is no pride of workmanship in RV's anymore
Old 02-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Granny Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihosilver09 View Post
Hey SwJoe, Our issue was resolved we hope, we have had so many problems with our Silverback we hold our breath every time we take it out, They had to rebuild our entire unit back at the factory a year ago. Put gussets in and new tubing, also replaced the axels and tires, however when we got it back the slides wouldn't work another issue, all told our unit was in a shop for a total of 5 months, we have also had many issues with the power awning, I will probably never buy a Forest River product again, the quality is very poor considering the price we paid for it. There just is no pride of workmanship in RV's anymore
Before you give up on Forest River, I would suggest you consider signing up for the Int'l FROG Rally in Goshen, IN this coming August. For the price of the rally they will address all of your issues. And you can spend your time enjoying the fun & friendship of the other FROGies while your unit problems are being corrected at no additional charge. Every mfg. occasionally turns out a lemon, but this is a great way to let FR make it right. Good Luck!
2013 Sierra Denali 2500 4WD Crew Cab

Fulltimers since 6/5/13
ksjerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #8

The Rally

We have wanted to visit the factory and perhaps we will sign up for that. I would like to be able to see how they are built, as ours had some major safety problems from the start. Faulty welds, and at first Forest River denied any ownership of our problems, we had to demand they even look at our unit and it took my writing to Trailer Life Mag, before they addressed our issue, We could have had a major accident and not only loss of life but, property. Our dealer was no help at all in dealing with Forest River, once they had their money it was good by.

Have you ever been to one? As for giving up on Forest River, the Silverback was our dream, we had wanted one for a long time, and when we finely took the plunge we were so upset when we had such major issues with the unit. We still hold our breath every time we take it out as every time we have, we have had a problem.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihosilver09 View Post
We have wanted to visit the factory and perhaps we will sign up for that. I would like to be able to see how they are built, as ours had some major safety problems from the start. Faulty welds, and at first Forest River denied any ownership of our problems, we had to demand they even look at our unit and it took my writing to Trailer Life Mag, before they addressed our issue, We could have had a major accident and not only loss of life but, property. Our dealer was no help at all in dealing with Forest River, once they had their money it was good by.

Have you ever been to one? As for giving up on Forest River, the Silverback was our dream, we had wanted one for a long time, and when we finely took the plunge we were so upset when we had such major issues with the unit. We still hold our breath every time we take it out as every time we have, we have had a problem.
Thank you for the follow up. It is a tough one. I hope that your warranty was extended by the same length of time that the unit was under repair. Best wishes, and I hope all the kinks are worked out.
Joe
Old 03-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #10

They would not extend our warranty, so that is why we have so much fear and regret over our Silverback, I have heard others say they had problems with their unit and were issued an extended warranty, perhaps it is who you know?? I have little faith in the RV industry, I know a lot of people who don't think regulations are a good thing, however how else can the public be protected for industry's who don't care what they manufacture and the bottom line is profit, and refuse to stand behind what they build. I know I am not alone in this situation, I have talked to many people who own other RV's who say the industry is not like it used to be, and remember the auto industry did nothing on safely until they were forced to by the government.