Old 05-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #1

General A/T Tires

Has anyone installed General A/T (all terrain) tires on their Travel Trailer.
I have a 2017 Forest River Coachmen Freedom Express 248RBS.
I have installed a set of these tires and wonder if anyone can comment on their roadworthiness and reliability. The Tires are 14" Grabber All Terrain Tires.
I wanted them because of our boondocking and traveling on dirt and gravel roads. I was worried about sharp rocks. They actually have a deep tread depth, almost 1/2" and rock ejecting technology which seems to work as I have just returned from a short trip and did some off road traveling. When I got home there were no rocks lodged in the tires. These tires were rated for high speeds over 70 mph which I only do on straight good paved interstates under no wind conditions. In all other instances I only do 60 to 65 mph.
I would appreciate any comment on these tires if anyone else has used them as I would like to hear about the experience of others.

Maximus

gjarrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #2

Sounds like they are working for you.

Probably not a bad choice for dirt/gravel roads. Yes, they are rated for higher speeds than most trailers but be aware that many states require vehicles towing trailers to follow a much lower speed limit. An example is California which limits vehicles that are towing trailers to 50 mph. Other states limit vehicles towing to whatever the posted truck speed is if a lower speed is posted. In WA and OR it's 60 mph while regular speed is 70.

You may not have tire problems at the higher speeds but certainly risk "police problems".

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #3

When did Cal. lower from 55 to 50? 49 states you can drive towing at 70 and Cal. is 50, stupid!
Old 05-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjarrette View Post
Has anyone installed General A/T (all terrain) tires on their Travel Trailer.
I have a 2017 Forest River Coachmen Freedom Express 248RBS.
I have installed a set of these tires and wonder if anyone can comment on their roadworthiness and reliability. The Tires are 14" Grabber All Terrain Tires.
I wanted them because of our boondocking and traveling on dirt and gravel roads. I was worried about sharp rocks. They actually have a deep tread depth, almost 1/2" and rock ejecting technology which seems to work as I have just returned from a short trip and did some off road traveling. When I got home there were no rocks lodged in the tires. These tires were rated for high speeds over 70 mph which I only do on straight good paved interstates under no wind conditions. In all other instances I only do 60 to 65 mph.
I would appreciate any comment on these tires if anyone else has used them as I would like to hear about the experience of others.

Maximus
Maximus, I take it that you are talking about this tire at the link below:

https://generaltire.com/sites/defaul...Spec_Pages.pdf

You do realize that by switching to the LT tire and taking off the original equipment ST tire (which I will assume was a ST205/75R14 LR C)....you actually lost around 240 pounds per tire of load carrying capacity.

The chart in the link above states your General tire has a load capacity of 1520 pounds, whereas a typical ST205/75R14 LR C has a load capacity of 1760 pounds. You may just need to pack a little lighter depending on how heavy you currently are.

Words are powerful.
Choose them good.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
When did Cal. lower from 55 to 50? 49 states you can drive towing at 70 and Cal. is 50, stupid!
I stand corrected, CA is 55mph. When I drove through CA this last January, apparently the only thing that registered was the "fifty" part.

FWIW, WA state, when truck speed is posted lower than 70 all vehicles towing have to follow truck speed. You have to watch the "advisory signs" that are posted up and down the Interstates. Same ones that tell you that vehicles with tows also are prohibited from left lane(s).

For those who are interested here is a complete list of towing speed by state.

Lots of 55 and 60 mph limits and some with day and night speeds.

State Towing Speeds and State Laws You Probably Didn’t Know

CA isn't the only state with 55 limit. and more than a few have 60 mph limits.

Also note the other "bet you didn't know" regulations for various states. Like the one in Virginia that limits travel trailers to two 20# propane tanks. Guess my two 30# tanks can't travel through Virginia.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Maximus, I take it that you are talking about this tire at the link below:

https://generaltire.com/sites/defaul...Spec_Pages.pdf

You do realize that by switching to the LT tire and taking off the original equipment ST tire (which I will assume was a ST205/75R14 LR C)....you actually lost around 240 pounds per tire of load carrying capacity.

The chart in the link above states your General tire has a load capacity of 1520 pounds, whereas a typical ST205/75R14 LR C has a load capacity of 1760 pounds. You may just need to pack a little lighter depending on how heavy you currently are.
WMTire
Yes I am aware of the lower load carrying capacity of the tire as you have stated but I never carry any load in the TT other than food, clothing and a few other luxuries like two cheap bikes which I am sure amount to less than 250 lbs total weight in the TT. This translates to about 63 extra pounds per tire I would hope. I almost never carry even fresh water until we are very close to a campsite usually less than 30 miles or so or right at the site. I always empty the tanks before hitting the road again.
I always put the heavy stuff in the bed of my F150 and it is just my wife and I in the cab.

I have load leveling bars and Air assist springs on the truck along with new Cooper AT tires on the truck. I am going to assume, there is that nasty word, that the tongue of the truck carries some of the trailer weight as it is rated at 750 pounds without bars and 1050 with bars. Sooooo it would seem that with tongue and 4 tires making a 5 point platform. I am thinking this is OK but I am not the expert so here I am on this forum.
I know the rule is "Never Assume Anything" but I think that all tires have a safety margin and an extra 100 pounds or so on a tire so it should not make any difference especially new properly inflated tires. The crap tires that came on the trailer were certainly more DANGEROUS I am sure as they exhibited unusual wear after only 4,000 miles. Actually I had a sidewall puncture that occured on our very first adventure. I turned too close to a rock and the sidewall blew out. This is why I went to a better tire with a better sidewall.

Any comment is welcome.
Maximus

gjarrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires